LIGHTS MEGATHREAD - all questions on riding lights asked and answered here!!!

Eval

Squid
Diablo

Delmar - Is there enough candlepower on med in the diablo? Sounds like I might need a piggyback battery to run it on high for any length of time. Would you recommend a diablo? Any negatives with the piggyback?

My main requirement is for a lightweight powerful head unit. I was considering ay-up but they just don't have the punch nor the 'smarts'. The 40% power upgrade is simply a resistor replacement to bring them from 0.5a up to 0.7a. I am sure the exposures run a constant current supplier such as a unit supplied by taskled. The MaxxD is temperature regulated which would indicate they are pulling at least 1A on high setting. I was also considering a trout light, and admire the whole 'man turning a mill' from his garage but there are cons to his setup as well. :)

Delmar

Likes Dirt
Delmar - Is there enough candlepower on med in the diablo? Sounds like I might need a piggyback battery to run it on high for any length of time. Would you recommend a diablo? Any negatives with the piggyback?

My main requirement is for a lightweight powerful head unit. I was considering ay-up but they just don't have the punch nor the 'smarts'. The 40% power upgrade is simply a resistor replacement to bring them from 0.5a up to 0.7a. I am sure the exposures run a constant current supplier such as a unit supplied by taskled. The MaxxD is temperature regulated which would indicate they are pulling at least 1A on high setting. I was also considering a trout light, and admire the whole 'man turning a mill' from his garage but there are cons to his setup as well. :)
Eval, it's a bit of a subjective question... but I think there is enough light on medium for much off road riding. Higher speeds in single or the now cliched 'fast fire road descent' there's not really. At the mont I did click it back one notch on longer climbs to save batts.

The piggyback is no trouble. I have one of each size, and the small (which doubles the diablo batt) is very small. Too heavy for the helmet (but I'm picky in this area), but no trouble in jersey pocket. If I had a velcro strap there I wouldve happily attached it to the shoulder strap of the camel back.

I think the beauty of the system is that for many social and training rides you just grab and go- no wires. For the minority of occasions (for me) that I need longer burns you just do what you would have to do with other sytems, run a wire and attach the batt.

It's also nice to be able to use the batts to charge the lights in between laps. Diablo is a mean torch when you play spotto with the kids:)

Ivan

Eats Squid
Anyone using Lenser lights?

Light output is a little low, but it's pretty light, and the adjustable zoom is really cool.

It would be cool to DIY two of them together for about 350 Lumen output.

I notice they are also making the H14r now.

Magoo74

Likes Bikes
I've got the H7 (in your top pic) - freakin awesome output for such a little light. the adjustable beam is tops and battery life seems pretty good too

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Eval, it's a bit of a subjective question... but I think there is enough light on medium for much off road riding. Higher speeds in single or the now cliched 'fast fire road descent' there's not really. At the mont I did click it back one notch on longer climbs to save batts.

The piggyback is no trouble. I have one of each size, and the small (which doubles the diablo batt) is very small. Too heavy for the helmet (but I'm picky in this area), but no trouble in jersey pocket. If I had a velcro strap there I wouldve happily attached it to the shoulder strap of the camel back.

I think the beauty of the system is that for many social and training rides you just grab and go- no wires. For the minority of occasions (for me) that I need longer burns you just do what you would have to do with other sytems, run a wire and attach the batt.

It's also nice to be able to use the batts to charge the lights in between laps. Diablo is a mean torch when you play spotto with the kids:)
Solo Nats @ easter I ran a diablo, a six-pack, and an older Maxx-D.
The diablo was set up with a 3-cell piggy pack and this got me through the 12hrs of darkness finally dying just as the sun was coming up. I ran it on medium and had no problems.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I ride with an H7 and it is ok. Definately not up the standard of some of the lights out there but still bright enough to piss cars off if you look at them as they come past! I wouldn't be going flat out downhill with it but for trail riding it is fine. Might give the H14 a look though if it will fit somehow with a helmet.

crowash

Likes Dirt
Anyone using Lenser lights?

Light output is a little low, but it's pretty light, and the adjustable zoom is really cool.

It would be cool to DIY two of them together for about 350 Lumen output.

I notice they are also making the H14r now.

I run witht he H7.. great light but I reckon you'd struggle to get past 15kph on a trail.. I have ordered the MagicShine .. the exchange rate at the moment is pretty awesome should come in under $70.

Kowalski Brothers

Legends of the Shovel
My main requirement is for a lightweight powerful head unit.
I've been playing with the new Pmini from Niteflux the last few days and will be heading out on dirt tonight for some proper testing. The head unit is very small and light. 1000 lumens with a wireless remote for the bars. Has been great on early morning schmoadie rides this week. Yet to mount it on the helmet but it has a good mount for this. The beam is more spread than spot which might be a good thing in dusty conditions (no hot spot). The Diablo is a great light too (900 lumen I think) but would benefit from a bar mount option (not sure if there is one). I like the cable free design.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
I've been playing with the new Pmini from Niteflux the last few days and will be heading out on dirt tonight for some proper testing. The head unit is very small and light. 1000 lumens with a wireless remote for the bars. Has been great on early morning schmoadie rides this week. Yet to mount it on the helmet but it has a good mount for this. The beam is more spread than spot which might be a good thing in dusty conditions (no hot spot). The Diablo is a great light too (900 lumen I think) but would benefit from a bar mount option (not sure if there is one). I like the cable free design.
The bar mount for the Diablo is the same as for the Joystick.

Bushranger

Likes Dirt
Visor or No Visor with lights

Hi,

When riding with helmet mounted light do you guys have a visor or is it best taken off?

Bushranger

Likes Dirt
In the farkinburners opinions,

What's the best helmet mounted light under $250?
http://www.cygolite.com/products/new/Expilion/expilion250.html

I just got one of these for under $200.

Going bush tonight, will let you know. Everyone else I'm riding with has one so that says something. I got it because the battery is included in the light unit so no separate battery pack.

It's great how much lights have come down in cost, and size and up in brightness the past couple of years.

vtwiz

Likes Dirt
I don't have one but the podium lights are hard to go past. You could get two for your budget, one on the bars and one on your helmet.

pinkbike

Likes Dirt
Hi,

When riding with helmet mounted light do you guys have a visor or is it best taken off?
Doesn't matter, I ride with a visor and for MTB whether I have lights on or not. But have ridden without visor as well with lights on and makes no difference.

Ivan

Eats Squid
I don't have one but the podium lights are hard to go past. You could get two for your budget, one on the bars and one on your helmet.
How are the podiums different to the magicshines?

I didnt know about them until you mentioned them.

vtwiz

Likes Dirt
How are the podiums different to the magicshines?

I didnt know about them until you mentioned them.
Going just off the specs, they are cheaper and have a better LED. There are plenty of lights out there that use the same housing as the magic shines and because of this people think they are all the same. The Podiums use a Cree LED which is better than the P7 led in the magicshines I believe. Podiums have an Aussie dealer too. You can get similar one from online Chinese sellers but they are mor expensive. No brainer really.

Last edited:

RichJS

Likes Dirt
AY UPS all the way. best bang for your bucks.
Not if you mean lumens-per-dollar - not anymore.

AyUps are still great compared to others at weight, or lumens-per-gram, or battery life - outright, or lumens-per-hour. They're reliable - particularly they're quite waterproof, and solidly built.

However, lumens per dollar the AyUp's XR-E lamps just can't compete with most of the MC-E (or P7) lights.