LIGHTS MEGATHREAD - all questions on riding lights asked and answered here!!!

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not if you mean lumens-per-dollar - not anymore.

AyUps are still great compared to others at weight, or lumens-per-gram, or battery life - outright, or lumens-per-hour. They're reliable - particularly they're quite waterproof, and solidly built.

However, lumens per dollar the AyUp's XR-E lamps just can't compete with most of the MC-E (or P7) lights.
Many people using lights are into endurance racing that they train hard for and spend a lot of money on so cheap is not as important as reliable.
AY-Ups are IMHO still best value for lights you KNOW will work all night, can get upgraded and buy cheap, long lasting batt. All from a local company.
You also get multi function use as headtorch, tail light, camping lantern.....
I just wish i could take them underwater too.

MTBka

Squid
http://www.cygolite.com/products/new/Expilion/expilion250.html

I just got one of these for under $200.

Going bush tonight, will let you know. Everyone else I'm riding with has one so that says something. I got it because the battery is included in the light unit so no separate battery pack.

It's great how much lights have come down in cost, and size and up in brightness the past couple of years.
How did you go with the light Bushranger? These are the right price for me. I wont be doing any single track night riding with it.

Bushranger

Likes Dirt
How did you go with the light Bushranger? These are the right price for me. I wont be doing any single track night riding with it.
Great. It's my first single track night ride.

I had a similar spec dual bulb on the bars too.

I rode the track once in the day time (12k loop) then again twice at night.

Never had a problem seeing anything.

I've nothing to compare it to though, but I'm certainly not looking around for something else at this stage.

Just have to play around with it though to get the focus of the beam where i want it. I had it a bit too close to me and found I was angling my head back to get the beam up - didn't want to stop and change it was having too much fun.

simon80

Likes Bikes
Bike Ray III

Have been using this light for a few weeks and am very impressed. It pumps out 1200 lumens and has a very wide beam. I use it for 80km road rides in the evening and visibility is perfect. I ride a loop that takes me out where there are no street lights on country roads and I can see every bump. I paid just over $160 for the light, battery pack, charger, bar mount, helmet mount and extension cable. Longest I have run it for is 3hrs and I had it on full power the whole time. I also rode 40km home in the rain and had no problems. Will definitely be buying a second to helmet mount for late arvo trail sessions.

http://bikerayaus.com.au/bikeray3.htm

If anyone wants to see pics of it set up let me know.

Anyone used the Radical Lights Podda? If yes, what do you think? How accurate have you found the quoted burn times (3hrs on high) and charge times (3 hours)?

Ivan

Eats Squid
New Magicshine's have hit the market. At a guess I would say that the Bikeray is a modified MS.

1600 Lumen

1200 Lumen

200 Lumen

pinkbike

Likes Dirt
Kerry from K-lites was out at the Paterson 24 race, some very nice looking units which he puts together himself. 1200 lumens for a single light but they are small and light so you can run two on your helmet for a massive 2400 lumens. Definitely worth a look if you're looking into AyUps as the quality will be top notch but much brighter. Obviously price can't compete with cheap chinese stuff... but depends what you're after.

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not an expert on the topic but I like lupine for power and exposure for convenience.

Neither are price competitive.

Cheers, J

rotorub

Likes Dirt
They look a bit fancier than the original units. I have noticeed they have upgraded the battery packs since the original units, they now seem to have improved water proofing.

New Magicshine's have hit the market. At a guess I would say that the Bikeray is a modified MS.

1600 Lumen

1200 Lumen

200 Lumen

wombat

Lives in a hole
If you're looking at the expilion, but want a helmet mount specific light (and are reasonable with your hands) consider having a look for an X-tech Power 300. Probably doesn't have the build quality of the Expilion, but having played with them side by side it has a tighter beam with a longer throw, and IMO would make a nicer helmet light than the wide throwing expilion.

Downside is it doesn't actually come with a helmet mount, but I'm planning to grab a second, spare mount and knock something up myself. On the upside, it is cheaper, so even with an extra bracket you'll be out under $150. Also comes with a USB charger which I dig, good for compatibility, or charging at the office if you're a commuter.
The cygolite is a pretty sweet unit though amyway, it's not like you'll be dissapointed with it.

Speaking of Cygolite, has anyone used the Centuari 1000? I've got a TridenX 600 at the moment, but I've got upgraditis, and can probably get the centuari for very little extra layout. Haven't found much in the way of reviews though.

Just wondering if there is anyone at all on this forum who has used Radical Lights? Or anyone who knows of anyone who has used them? If yes, what do you/they think of them in terms of performance/burn time/charge time etc?

I've tried a range of lights, including upgraded Ayups and realise that all lights have their pros and cons and everyone has their favourite, but I'm specifically looking for user feedback on Radical Lights.

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
Just wondering if there is anyone at all on this forum who has used Radical Lights? Or anyone who knows of anyone who has used them? If yes, what do you/they think of them in terms of performance/burn time/charge time etc?

I've tried a range of lights, including upgraded Ayups and realise that all lights have their pros and cons and everyone has their favourite, but I'm specifically looking for user feedback on Radical Lights.
[video=youtube;4Nc5SUxepoI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Nc5SUxepoI[/video]

The helmet cam rider was using Radical Lights, you can read Kath's review here. They give a lot more even spread to the light than the Ay-Ups I (the rider in front) was riding with and are much brighter with a single unit than I had running two.

If you're after high performance lights for racing or have trouble seeing at night they're definitely worth considering.

jmcavoy

Likes Dirt

I've been racing on them for a few years now and can answer any questions you have... I am sponsored by them, but that doesn't sway my opinions, I race on them and work with the team because they are the best lights I have seen out there, and no I don't get money from them (just discounts on lights).

The only down side is cost, but you get what you pay for in life... If you want the best lights, these are worth the investment for sure.

Nothing else comes close to the smooth beam patterns. I've done "light offs" with other riders for a laugh and we've all been amazed (me too) how even and wide the beam is compared to other lights.

The problem with a lot of high lumen lights is they deliver it into one bright spot, and you can't see the detail (or the surroundings), the optics in the Radicals spread all those lumens out and make use of them all, with an even spread, no bright or dark spots and a super wide beam pattern, wide enough you can see everything in your field of vision. Give them a try sometime and you'll see what I mean, especially side by by side with other brands.

Try before you buy is always wise, so if you want a demo and are in Canberra sometime, PM me and I'll lend you mine and you'll see what I mean.

sstumpy

Squid
Radical VS. NiteRider

Has anyone had experience with these two lights. Just tossing up between the NR Pro 1400 Lighting System and the Radical Podda4L Mk3, 1375+ Lumens. Just hoping someone might have some experience using them and could explain the difference in beams, visability and usage. I plan on using them mainly for single track use. Also if there are any other suggestions for similar quality that would be fantastic too. THANKS

Eval

Squid
Exposure Diablo Mk 2

Just ordered the Exposure Diablo Mk2. I've found that having just a bar light is not quite sufficient for seriously twisty single track.

The bar light I currently use is a 1200 lumen Exposure MaxxD and now when I add 900 lumen on my bonce, it will round off an excellent package.

My experience with the MaxxD so far has been really positive. No cable, >3 hrs on max, awesome bar mount, and a very even spread of light. There is no hot-spot like the magic-shines or nite-riders; just one huge ball of light that illuminates the singletrack and fireroad connecting trails. And if you order from the UK you will need a power adaptor for their charger (a couple of bucks from dicksmith etc).

Can't wait for the diablo to arrive! :eek:

Last edited:

wingy

Likes Dirt
I have just picked up a set of Moon X-power 1500 lights. I have only managed one short ride on Friday night but was very impressed with the amount of light and the even spread of the light. I only use a headlight and the width and throw of the beam was more than enough for me. I'll post some info when I can get it to upload. There is also a 1000 lumen version available. The 1500 lumen retails for $399. The 1000 is about $260 retail.
I'll get a review up as soon as I get some real ride time on them. I want to run them right down a couple of times and check the run times out.

Attachments

Rida

Likes Bikes
Has anyone had experience with these two lights. Just tossing up between the NR Pro 1400 Lighting System and the Radical Podda4L Mk3, 1375+ Lumens. Just hoping someone might have some experience using them and could explain the difference in beams, visability and usage. I plan on using them mainly for single track use. Also if there are any other suggestions for similar quality that would be fantastic too. THANKS
Haven't tried the NR Pro 1400 but I have tried the Radical Podda. The Radical Podda has a nice wide, even beam but I'm not sure if this alone is enough to justify their very expensive price tag. From experience I've found their burn times to be slightly less than advertised and charge times significantly longer than advertised. The quality of after sales service is also questionable. By contrast my experience with previous NR models has been good - I've found them to be a high quality durable light unit with burn times and charge times exactly as advertised.

rangie

Likes Dirt
I have just picked up a set of Moon X-power 1500 lights. I have only managed one short ride on Friday night but was very impressed with the amount of light and the even spread of the light. I only use a headlight and the width and throw of the beam was more than enough for me. I'll post some info when I can get it to upload. There is also a 1000 lumen version available. The 1500 lumen retails for $399. The 1000 is about $260 retail.
I'll get a review up as soon as I get some real ride time on them. I want to run them right down a couple of times and check the run times out.

That's an interesting looking light.

Battery looks big. Is it a hard case? Will it cause damage if bumped on the bike?