LIGHTS MEGATHREAD - all questions on riding lights asked and answered here!!!

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
the plan is to get a new lid (Met Parabellum) that has an integrated camera mount (same as the Bell Super)... which will let me stick a gopro mount onto.
then simply attach the solarstorm with the mount in place.
Buys new helmet to mount cheap lights to.....

I'm with the guys above, just buy a light that you know has a decent brand behind it, that works, is as bright as advertised and has mounts included that are easy to use.

But this thread is a good read. Might still buy the missus some of these.

Sent by courier pigeon

ChopSticks

Banned
I bought an alloy connector off eBay for $10 because the first plastic one I tried just cracked.

I can take a photo later if required
That would be great if you can Leon!!

Buys new helmet to mount cheap lights to.....
Had to buy a new helmet anyway....
sold the stinking hot TLD A1 and didn't feel safe in the xc lid, and lusted after a Parabellum (which just happens to have a sweet inbuilt camera/light mount)

I don't see a problem?

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
That would be great if you can Leon!!

Had to buy a new helmet anyway....
sold the stinking hot TLD A1 and didn't feel safe in the xc lid, and lusted after a Parabellum (which just happens to have a sweet inbuilt camera/light mount)

I don't see a problem?
Haha no problem at all.....
I'm just giving cheek

Seeing how I can never make the team night rides how about I organize one here!

ChopSticks

Banned
Easy.

Hopefully the photos make sense. If you pick up a GoPro connector it should be obvious where to chop it.
great stuff Leon, Yepp! makes perfect sense!
I was brainstorm heaps of ideas last night, and one of them is what you have done.

But the problem I have is I run a solar storm on the head (lower profile) but the bolt it uses is a tiny M4 x 0.7 that only screw in between the cooling fins
theres no enough meat to drill/tap into the body itself (unlike the magicshines that can accommodate massive bolts/screws)

the plan (in my head) is to buy that 1/4" camera mount.... replace the 1/4" bolt with one of those M5 gopro bolts, buy a M4 x 0.7 die and rethread the M5 bolt... should give the neatest finish (all brain storming atm)

Will look into it further once i get hold of the helmet and the mount. and see what bits I have laying around !

Camdyson

Likes Bikes
My similar(?) light, with the curved bar mount base/rubber jiggy, needed to go on helmet. There was a flat/narrow cross piece on the helmet where I wanted to mount light, so I (block your ears OH&S man) filed the helmet cross piece into a round section, and now the original light mount fits perfect.

Took it out last night for a spin and worked faultlessly, with batt in my Camelbak. Between that and my dual bar lights, the view was excellent.

Of course I'm not precious about my helmets like some.....

Cheers,

Cam

camzh

Likes Dirt
Effarr that is nice and clean !

Sorry Chops, didnt see your message about the thread size until just now. I've been ignoring Rotorburn and doing real things for a bit :)

Performance+

Cannon Fodder
Sorry only new - I have not read this thread start to finish, so I don't know if anyone has mentioned this but as a person whom works in the Electrical field I would suggest that all cheap imported lights (Chargers and Battery's) be used with a local RCD protection device, save $100 but burn down ya house not cool
Cheers
D

Pastavore

Eats Squid
Sorry only new - I have not read this thread start to finish, so I don't know if anyone has mentioned this but as a person whom works in the Electrical field I would suggest that all cheap imported lights (Chargers and Battery's) be used with a local RCD protection device, save $100 but burn down ya house not cool
Cheers
D
Thanks mate, but what is a RCD protection device? I'll get one if I know what it is.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
An RCD may protect you from lethal electric shock, but I'm not sure it'll stop a house fire from crappy chinese electronics. The chargers have no earth pin. An RCD will not protect against the electronics shorting out or generating heat that will start a house fire. The RCD will only trip if there is a path to earth.

Performance+

Cannon Fodder
Thanks mate, but what is a RCD protection device? I'll get one if I know what it is.
A residual current device - it basically measure the amps going out and back and trips if they are not even by 30 milli amps (or 10 milli amps for different applications)
There is a high fire risk from Battery over heating etc - so my advice should have included the appropriate charging location, mine in a well ventilated area with a concrete floor and walls - my garage (which is free from stuff that would fuel any fire).
And never leave charging longer than required.
Cheers
D

redbruce

Eats Squid
The chargers have no earth pin. An RCD will not protect against the electronics shorting out or generating heat that will start a house fire. The RCD will only trip if there is a path to earth.
Incorrect (although a common misconception).
It monitors the current balance between active and neutral only (thats how it offers you some protection from lethal shock - you are not connected to the earth pin in the GPO either).

Device used doesn't need to have an earth pin for RCD to operate.

An RCD may protect you from lethal electric shock, but I'm not sure it'll stop a house fire from crappy chinese electronics. An RCD will not protect against the electronics shorting out or generating heat that will start a house fire.
Correct: Will not protect against fire risk from overload or electric shock in every circumstance.

Last edited:

redbruce

Eats Squid
I have the V2 for bar duties (as well as the X1V1 for helmet duties). X2V2 is the 1200 Lumen one, if you've got the X2V3, that'd be the 1500 lumen one - updated led and lenses - sweet deal.
+1 on the Gloworm X2V2 (mine is a 1200 lumen I have had for a couple of years).

After having used a number of cheap but cheerful Magicshines, this has been a significant improvement in light quality, quantity and reliability.

I use the gloworm on my helmet and a Magicshine on the bars.

I have a wide angle (aftermarket) lens for the 808's and have fitted dual spot lenses to the Gloworm (instead of the spot+spread it came with).

PepsiMax

Likes Bikes
I use NiteRider 1500 (here) on my helmet and modified Cygolite 750 on the bars - modified by using the niterider handle bar attachment clamp.

I run helmet on medium and bars on high. I find this to be the balance point of enough light v run time for night time riding on the trails. I have done the mont24 using the system and a large amount of night rides through the RNP and road rides out to Kurnell. Will use the system also for a 24hr race in future for sure hopefully I can fit one in before the end of 2014.

Only problem I have encountered is that when I was using a wireless speed computer (Cateye), it wouldnt work?get speed data when the handle bar lights were in use.

Might be a thing to consider when buying your lights, but I dont have this problem any more due to having a garmin 510

Just keep your eye out on eBay for second hand well known riding light Brands and you could pick up a bargain

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
I came across a Lupine Betty on eBay and ended up getting it for $80 posted. Pretty stoked. I have some big plans for this light but still need mega $$$ to get a big battery and upgrade the LED's.

ChopSticks

Banned
If you pick up a GoPro connector it should be obvious where to chop it.

Thanks Leon,
I couldnt wait any longer on the mount I ordered... so stole your idea of chopping a link in half and using that instead

did exactly as you did, but had to dremel 2 sides of a bolt head to slip in inside the link. (couldnt drill straight down like you did... dont have an alloy link, nor a drill press)

also dremel'd the middle tab off the mount, so that bolt head would clear it.

loctite the threads, sharpie'd the grey adhesive pad and Voila !