LIGHTS MEGATHREAD - all questions on riding lights asked and answered here!!!

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Ran Ay-ups for over a decade that are still going strong doing duty as head torches/ kids bike lights. Upgraded about a year ago to a helmet/ bar combo from Nitelights that I picked up barely used on Farcebook marketplace. They are ridiculously bright, I always run them in the medium settings as I find the high beams wash out the contrast in most trail situations. Importantly quality wise they feel on par with Ay-ups, time will tell if they last as long. Got mates with the GloWorms and they have all had good experiences. From what I've used and seen you either spend more up front, getting a product that will last a heap longer, have far fewer niggling issues with mounts and connectors shifting/ breaking and batteries failing, or spend less coin on something like a Cleanskin/ Magicshine/ Trustfire etc, and be prepared to replace within a 2-3 years if nothing gets smashed or fails.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Going on my first night ride with a social group this Thursday. I'm familiar enough with the trails to find my way back to the carpark if something happens, but don't know every corner and rock etc. The trails we'll be on aren't difficult if you take it easy.

Is riding with just the one light, mounted on the bars, a waste of time or will I be fine at a social riding pace? I'm taking a spare commuter light and will carry a torch as well in case the cheap Chinese light loses most or all of its billion lumens so I can find my way back without holding up the group.

Anything else I need to think about to prep for it? Quietly shitting myself to be honest; the trails are fairly easy but night riding is a complete unknown to me.

If I enjoy, I'll grab something like a Cleankskin Duo for a helmet light for future rides.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
The 1 light vs 2 lights is a personal preference.
There are people who prefer a really wide throw bar flood only. (takes a billion lumens)

I prefer a slightly flooded bar and a directional helmet light. (less lumens)

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
The 1 light vs 2 lights is a personal preference.
There are people who prefer a really wide throw bar flood only. (takes a billion lumens)

I prefer a slightly flooded bar and a directional helmet light. (less lumens)
Thanks. With zero experience I feel like I want all of the lights, but that reassures me that I'm not about to do something stupid (hopefully).

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm a big fan of a wide beam on the bars then a narrow, brighter light for the helmet. I find a brighter light on the helmet works well so that your focus is on where you are heading allowing you to look through the corner rather than what's right in front of you. This sounds obvious but I find it much harder at night, so having a slightly different tint on the helmet light with a brighter and tighter hot spot really helps my focus.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
As above. Flood on the bars and tighter spot on the helmet is the way to go. You will get by with just a flood on the bars provided you take it easy, but having that spot on the head allows for better trail prediction on the corners, and for the undulations.

Also don't panic about riding at night being difficult. Personally I often find it easier to focus on the trail as you are in a bubble of light without peripheral distractions which is a very zen experience if you are in the right frame of mind. I've certainly attempted stuff at night that I've balked at during the day!

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Going on my first night ride with a social group this Thursday. I'm familiar enough with the trails to find my way back to the carpark if something happens, but don't know every corner and rock etc. The trails we'll be on aren't difficult if you take it easy.

Is riding with just the one light, mounted on the bars, a waste of time or will I be fine at a social riding pace? I'm taking a spare commuter light and will carry a torch as well in case the cheap Chinese light loses most or all of its billion lumens so I can find my way back without holding up the group.

Anything else I need to think about to prep for it? Quietly shitting myself to be honest; the trails are fairly easy but night riding is a complete unknown to me.

If I enjoy, I'll grab something like a Cleankskin Duo for a helmet light for future rides.
For the most part you will be fine in the middle of the pack of riders but you won’t be able to see around tight switch backs until you bars come around the corner a little. If you with other riders they can light up the trail for you.

It just means you need to slow down a bit more in these situations, but you will be fine.

The helmet light lets you see where your head turns and would be my preference over the bar if you just had one light.

On my first night ride I smashed my helmet light off my helmet and had to find it in the dark and reconnect it to my battery. Fun times but I got a second light after that.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
speaking of lights the Ayups were so good ..... once, now I don't know whether they've faded or in comparison to other lights they just aren't bright enough on single track anymore.

So just got 2 of these Lezyne 1600 (even has app to configure light settings), after going for Chinese cheapies, I thought that's it get some quality lights for dark commute, single track and death ray at drivers who try and cross my path. funny thing is if I mount 2 leds and ride up a dark road cars pull over thinking I'm another car until I go past and see their wtf look.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
speaking of lights the Ayups were so good ..... once, now I don't know whether they've faded or in comparison to other lights they just aren't bright enough on single track anymore.

So just got 2 of these Lezyne 1600 (even has app to configure light settings), after going for Chinese cheapies, I thought that's it get some quality lights for dark commute, single track and death ray at drivers who try and cross my path. funny thing is if I mount 2 leds and ride up a dark road cars pull over thinking I'm another car until I go past and see their wtf look.
They're a great light. I have the 1500 which are great because you have hook up an auxillary powerpack to them.

DougalStrachan

Likes Dirt
Solarstorm X3 - if you do a long press on the button, it turns into blinky light mode - never knew that until I accidentally found out about it.

Also if you throw a 'good' 18650 battery pack at these they run for ages

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
What's the best way to mount a light to a Fox Proframe?

Cleansing Duo comes with a clunky velcro thing which I'll probably replace with a GoPro style mount, but the helmet has a ridge running along it that makes it awkward. What's the best way to get around that?

Is this roughly the best positioning for the light?