LIGHTS MEGATHREAD - all questions on riding lights asked and answered here!!!

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
These Magic Shine lights are now available through the US store as a light only for US$90, so no battery pack or mounts. This isn't an issue for me because I've got a few good 18650 packs (not the standard chinese rubbish) but shipping is $93US for multiple items.
Anyone else want to purchase some stuff and we'll combine shipping?

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
These Magic Shine lights are now available through the US store as a light only for US$90, so no battery pack or mounts.
('o')
These (and the bigger ones) look nuts. Not looking for new lights now myself. But group buy is a good idea.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just because you aren't looking for them doesn't mean you shouldn't buy them, Christ we'd never get new bikes with an attitude like that! You need to have a good hard look at yourself!

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I'm good, nice price on the Monteer at $120au though shipping is a bit steep, I believe you can run them straight off an e-bike.

Bicyclesonline had them complete for $299 a while back but the complete 3500 package only comes with a 5200mAh battery.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
I think there is a future for sensible 36 and 48 V aftermarket headlights that can run directly from the ebike battery.
There are plenty of hacks available but I would like to see a good quality one that can use the charging port if possible ?

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
What's the beam spread like?
Its ok, my kids reckon its better than their old Cleanskin Duos though I have not tried it since getting the MJ906.

For your helmet they are awesome, the battery is 160g but if its mounted on the back of a decent fitting helmet, it hard to notice,

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
I was never really impressed with the Gloworm wireless switch mounting method (rubber band) and it seems that was for good reason.

View attachment 384965

Amazing it didn’t come off and disappear during my ride on Thursday night.

Now to MacGuyver a new mount that’s not completely shit.
Mine did that too. Garmin mounting bands work, but I also stopped using it as I've set them according to the run time I want out of them, and I don't deal with that much traffic

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Anyone know where to source some decent quality 18650s? I'd rather not buy the super-cheap Chi crappies - but also don't want to pay $50 a cell either! :oops:

I'm looking to revive my old solar storms and to replace them with some Cleanskin Duos when they're back in stock. I've found the Solar Storms are up to the standard for my riding, which, at night, is usually tight and techy Bruce Ridge. So I'm not bombing trails, requiring huge beams.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I get them from my Milwaukee batteries when they drop a cell and die, I get to crack them open and harvest the remaining good cells. It's been quite successful.
Alternatively, I've purchased new cells from these guys before. You just need to be careful to get a battery with appropriate specs for lights which isn't the same as other applications.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Anyone know where to source some decent quality 18650s? I'd rather not buy the super-cheap Chi crappies - but also don't want to pay $50 a cell either! :oops:

I'm looking to revive my old solar storms and to replace them with some Cleanskin Duos when they're back in stock. I've found the Solar Storms are up to the standard for my riding, which, at night, is usually tight and techy Bruce Ridge. So I'm not bombing trails, requiring huge beams.
I think I have a cleanskin duo you can have if you like, batteries were fine when it went in the box of doom.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Anyone got any opinions on or experience with these choices?

Value for money seems to be with the Panasonic 3400mAh, given it's only $2 more than the Sony 2100mAh. I just don't know if brand matters (I just noted that the Samsung is out of stock...).