LIGHTS MEGATHREAD - all questions on riding lights asked and answered here!!!

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
I’m sure you’re right, I’ll continue to use them until I don’t.
With the low amp draw of lights, you are going to be pretty safe. The issue is more that people are paying the bucks for a new, high draw and high capacity battery, and are being sold something else.

As I have a penchant for unregulated 'mech' vapes, and low resistance coils, battery safety is paramount.

Just retire your batteries once they no longer hold a good charge.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Both linked battery boxes have claimed protection circuitry built in.

Formally, the vendors, panasonic, Samsung, etc, stipulate cells must be spot welded into packs if they are not sold with incorporated protection circuits. This hopefully triggers physical containment, proper BMS, proper insulation wrap preventing accidental shorts, etc.

The protection circuits, added to an individual 18650 cell are heatshrinked on. They add some width and length to the overall package. The now protected cell can struggle to fit inside some enclosures.

We are all big boys here. As long as the risk have been understood and accessed, it’s a personal choice. I’d never ever charge in the 8.4v enclosure in a series manner. The Jaycar charger is the safe route.

I would probably test one of these enclosures claimed protection circuit, load up 4 older, fully charged cells and test a dead short scenario.

Outside.
Be down wind.
On a flame proof surface
With a bucket of sand available.
With the phone recording the video.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Its getting to that nasty darker time of the year, so got my eye on a new lights setup.
Revisiting the Magicshine info from a few pages back, the raved about MJ-906 seems to have been discontinued. The equivalent is now the MJ-906s.
New version gets great reviews and now has the added bonus for you e-bikers out there of being compatible to run directly off your e-bike power.
Comes with a 10000Mamp battery which can also still be used as a powerbank off the bike.

Now the challenge to find one for a good price, @ozzybmx recommended Alli site seems to have dropped Magicshine from their lineup!

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Its getting to that nasty darker time of the year, so got my eye on a new lights setup.
Revisiting the Magicshine info from a few pages back, the raved about MJ-906 seems to have been discontinued. The equivalent is now the MJ-906s.
New version gets great reviews and now has the added bonus for you e-bikers out there of being compatible to run directly off your e-bike power.
Comes with a 10000Mamp battery which can also still be used as a powerbank off the bike.

Now the challenge to find one for a good price, @ozzybmx recommended Alli site seems to have dropped Magicshine from their lineup!
How long do you need it to last? I can also recommend the Lezyne 1800i which gives 1.5hrs on full or 3 hrs with the backup battery. But I really like that with the app I can set the light modes so you just have 2. A low and high so you don't have to scroll through all the light settings including flash when you want to change light intensity.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How long do you need it to last? I can also recommend the Lezyne 1800i which gives 1.5hrs on full or 3 hrs with the backup battery. But I really like that with the app I can set the light modes so you just have 2. A low and high so you don't have to scroll through all the light settings including flash when you want to change light intensity.
My night rides can be up to 3hrs. But I only need full power for a fraction of that.
I've already got heaps ok-sh lights for general night riding but looking for something pretty powerful with good spread for proper night descending.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
My night rides can be up to 3hrs. But I only need full power for a fraction of that.
I've already got heaps ok-sh lights for general night riding but looking for something pretty powerful with good spread for proper night descending.
That's what I do with mine thank you very much!!
I also run a remote so I can drop power without my hands having to leave the bars because I'm so gnarly... ;)

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That's what I do with mine thank you very much!!
I also run a remote so I can drop power without my hands having to leave the bars because I'm so gnarly... ;)
Haha, maybe I should rephrase that to say, make proper night descending as less sketchy as possible.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
While we're on the issue of batteries, I've got to buy some rechargeable AA & AAAs for the little one's toys. They will work in the Nitecore charger, but does anyone have an opinion on which batteries are good and which ones are bad?

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
While we're on the issue of batteries, I've got to buy some rechargeable AA & AAAs for the little one's toys. They will work in the Nitecore charger, but does anyone have an opinion on which batteries are good and which ones are bad?
The eneloop have been by far the best that I have come across, so far.