Lightweight DH Tubes?

Bacca

Likes Dirt
I want to lighten up the rotating mass of my wheels and want some help to decide on what size tubes to throw in.

I'm running 2 ply 2.50 Nevagal Stick-E's and my question is not really what brand/model of tube to use but what is the smallest size that I could use in my DH bags?

Plow King

Little bit.
I want to lighten up the rotating mass of my wheels and want some help to decide on what size tubes to throw in.

I'm running 2 ply 2.50 Nevagal Stick-E's and my question is not really what brand/model of tube to use but what is the smallest size that I could use in my DH bags?
Basically you can chuck any sized tubes in. I just head down to my lbs and pick up some 1.8/2.2 xc tubes. Work wonder, havn't gone back to dh tubes.

If you really want to save some weight investigate into getting some single ply highrollers/minions. Can save almost a kg in tyres.

Kenda nevegal - 1200/1300
Hr/Minion singleply - 750/800

sikpuppyonglory

Likes Dirt
I have run a 1.95 thornproof in my maxxis minions for a while, weight wise would not be far from the same weight of a standard 2.25 to 2.5 tube, however there is more chance of puncturing the 1.95 due to it stetching beyond its capability, either run a tubeless system or just stick with the normal 2.25 to 2.5 standard tube, play around with your air pressures, you will probably find with the kenda's that they need quite a firm pressure to stop pinch flatting as they have a more rounded tread profile compared to the minions as more air holds the profile of the tyrebetter which increases the traction capability of the kendas, minions however have a stiffer sidewall so lower pressures are more suitable for their construction.

hope this helps.

Bacca

Likes Dirt
Basically you can chuck any sized tubes in. I just head down to my lbs and pick up some 1.8/2.2 xc tubes. Work wonder, havn't gone back to dh tubes.

If you really want to save some weight investigate into getting some single ply highrollers/minions. Can save almost a kg in tyres.

Kenda nevegal - 1200/1300
Hr/Minion singleply - 750/800
Good to hear, I'll buy a 10 pack from Torp7. I've thought about going 1 ply tyres but came to the conclusion that I should keep the thicker 2 ply if I was going to run the skinny tubes. Are you (or anyone else) running 1 ply with skinny tubes?

Bacca

Likes Dirt
I have run a 1.95 thornproof in my maxxis minions for a while, weight wise would not be far from the same weight of a standard 2.25 to 2.5 tube, however there is more chance of puncturing the 1.95 due to it stetching beyond its capability, either run a tubeless system or just stick with the normal 2.25 to 2.5 standard tube, play around with your air pressures, you will probably find with the kenda's that they need quite a firm pressure to stop pinch flatting as they have a more rounded tread profile compared to the minions as more air holds the profile of the tyrebetter which increases the traction capability of the kendas, minions however have a stiffer sidewall so lower pressures are more suitable for their construction.

hope this helps.
That's great info, thanks mate.

So it seems that going smaller is okay but don't over do it.

kidafa

Likes Dirt
If you really want to save some weight investigate into getting some single ply highrollers/minions. Can save almost a kg in tyres
And you'll pinch flat like a mother fucker riding downhill. not recomeneded!

Last edited:

Plow King

Little bit.
Good to hear, I'll buy a 10 pack from Torp7. I've thought about going 1 ply tyres but came to the conclusion that I should keep the thicker 2 ply if I was going to run the skinny tubes. Are you (or anyone else) running 1 ply with skinny tubes?
Yeah, I used to do run single plys on my old atomik. I used to plow the shit out of that thing (Hence the name :p) I only ever got afew flats (Mind you I don't really get many flats *touch wood*)

And you'll pinch flat like a mother fucker riding downhill. not recomeneded!
As per above, I know people who get flats every weekend, wheras I seem to avoid them *touch wood*

Don't believe how much of a hack I was. Hold on...

patto94

Likes Dirt
Well honestly i think that if your looking for lighter tubes to lighten your bike.

You are really anal about about how light your bike is and your turning into a road biker.:)

Thats my contribution to this thread, hope it was healpfull.

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This might seem sad, but I like my bike to be heavier............Say we are talking about tyres.........More grip AND I get fitter :D

Bacca

Likes Dirt
I'm not worried about the weight of the bike, I want to reduce some unsprung weight/rotating mass to liven things up in that department. At the same time I want to keep my solid tyres and wheelset.

Well honestly i think that if your looking for lighter tubes to lighten your bike.

You are really anal about about how light your bike is and your turning into a road biker.:)

Thats my contribution to this thread, hope it was healpfull.
Well honestly I think you should visit this web site http://www.eatabagofdicks.com/ and pull your damn head in.

Bacca

Likes Dirt
Orders are in. Have gone for some 1 ply tyres and 1.75-2.00 tubes in the hope that my tendency to avoid flats (touch wood) will continue. Next week should see a low 18kg '08 Team DH :D

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
mmm maxxis single ply is jsut notorious for flatting, hence maxxis' need to make the dual ply so thick compared to others, their sidewalls are just so much softer compared to other brands

my single ply arrows havent flatted yet and last time i tried single ply maxxis i got 3 flats in 1 day

Bacca

Likes Dirt
I ended up getting 2.0 tubes and 1 ply Nevegals. The weight is down to 18.2kg. The bike feels great, same amount of grip but far more nimble now that's it's lost 1.2kg.