Little Things You Hate

scblack

Leucocholic
But USA is capilalist. How’s that working out for them? Actually, scratch that....you and I will have polar views on that too...
In the dark communist days certain American movies were banned in Russia. I recall why one was banned (but cannot remember the movie name). It was banned not because of political views or any message - it was a very family friendly movie. Gone With the Wind or something, I forget.

I was banned because it showed that even the poorest American people could afford a car. Only the most elite Russians had a cardboard Lada.

Capitalism helps the poorer as well.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Increase the fibre in your diet. Reduces your bowel cancer risk as well.

Sent from my Agora 4G Pro using Tapatalk
Never fear! The diet is generally high in fibre. Yesterday was a bit special (early call in for an extra shift and no food until lunch time) and today I was shitting an hour ahead of my usual schedual. I love being regular with the business.

Also moorey is right; greed breeds greed but fuck I love having stuff! I came across a pretty cool you tube channel yesterday ran by the American PBS folks called blank on blank. It is rebirthing old interviews and putting random animation over the top. While binging on them I found this Ronald Reagan interview from just before he was President of the USA. It is quite fitting:

They aren't just political. There is lots of musicians and authors and artists ec too. This Lou Reed interview is how it all started:

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Greed exists in all levels of income. Having something bigger or better than your peers is bloody common as is the tall poppy syndrome. I worked with a lot of people who had shit I couldn't afford and I knew what they earned as EBA employees. Some finished a high paying project with nothing more than a few trinkets. One bloke whom I knew well was part of the mine expansion stupidity and was earning well north of $250k. After 5 years he had a boat that was ultimately repossessed because he couldn't get the next job paying that well. And not much else. Spent that time mostly away from family paying the basic mortgage payments. Guess he drank well. That is not to say some of the wealthy couldn't do with a lesson in humility but they also are the focus of a lot of media whose only interest is sales of their media.

scblack

Leucocholic
Commies banned a whole bunch of kids' entertainment too.

http://www.scmp.com/culture/film-tv...s-ban-china-here-are-eight-other-cartoons-and

@scblack what did you think about the figures in the philanthropy article I linked on the previous page?
Statistical manipulations can make any number look how they wish. The fact is that many wealthy people are giving very Large sums of money and time to needy causes. That's a good thing.

To compare philanthropy to Net Wealth is pretty unfair. But as a trigger to extract more out of these people its got to be a good tool. That's all it is - a benchmark of sorts.

Please answer this: Consider YOUR own personal Net Wealth - and how much of that value do you give every year? How many of your friends or family are the same?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
What's the best low calorie way to increase fibre? I'm on a diet and using fibre sprinkles which are based on sugar beat, but its not enough.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Pretty sure chia sesame and sun flower seeds are going to come in high for you. As well as fruit. I'm not sure anyone could get fat eating fruit.

moorey

call me Mia
@Dales Cannon , Yes it does.

My experience of people on all levels of income, is that the less they have, the more inclined they are to share what they have.

It’s a generasation, with exceptions on both ends, but what I tend to see in my sheltered existence.

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Nah and Nah. "Almost without exception" - sorry but what crap.

I have worked with the VERY wealthy, and what they do for others, as well as the many other genuinely wealthy people I deal with currently would open your eyes. Usually their giving is very generous - in time, money and assistance. That includes BRW Top Ten wealth, but also the local business people I "network" with.

What do you define as Greed? Be interesting to hear your answer to that.
Having worked for an NGO charity for a fair while a few years back, it is my experience that Australians of all wealth categories are not that generous and the trend seemed to be getting worse rather than good. The prickly part of being wealthy is that you can have a bit more say in how/where you give as well. You might suddenly decide to form your own charity and then become the ceo and appear very generous or you may say something like I have $500k to donate, but I'm only giving it to this group for this purpose...and I'm also in the business of supplying for that industry. One of my favourites was used linen from one of Australia's biggest private hospitals specifically to go to a 3Rd world country ravaged by natural disaster. Cool, but how do we get it there? If you just give us money we can buy on the ground or next door...no we can't give money.

Anyway gotta rush will rant my arse off later. Need to fuel the economy with coffee.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Statistical manipulations can make any number look how they wish. The fact is that many wealthy people are giving very Large sums of money and time to needy causes. That's a good thing.

To compare philanthropy to Net Wealth is pretty unfair. But as a trigger to extract more out of these people its got to be a good tool. That's all it is - a benchmark of sorts.
I'm not saying that what wealthy individuals are already giving is a bad thing by any means. But the statistics do give you pause to think about just how selfless these people actually are. If you look at what Bill and Melinda Gates are doing, that's pretty fucking impressive. It doesn't look like any wealthy Australian is contributing at anywhere near the same level.

The article doesn't criticise anybody either, it's simply pointing out that these people don't exactly need to be lauded for their sacrifice.

I read it the other day, and was genuinely surprised. I don't mean for it to be a lecture; I think it's a good conversation starter.

Please answer this: Consider YOUR own personal Net Wealth - and how much of that value do you give every year? How many of your friends or family are the same?
Thanks for asking.

I've just completed some work for a youth suicide related charity. The bill for this (for a paying client) would have been around 1% of my company's annual turnover. I do a few of these a year at the expense of paid jobs.

How about you?

moorey

call me Mia

Indeed, stat can be twisted in your favour.

Much like tax laws.

If you have a good accountant.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Indeed, stat can be twisted in your favour.

Much like tax laws.

If you have a good accountant.
Finally someone has mentioned the elephant in the room.

LTIH shitty governments with shitty spending priorities and even shittier tax laws.

Just read about a scathing anao review of our $90 billion pipeline of warship spending. Why the fuck are we spending $90 billion on a make work scheme for SA?

$90 billion buys a fuck load of social housing, mental health care, drug and alcohol rehab etc etc.

To make things worse, there are other serious things we should be doing like tax reform that has stalled for a decade.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member

LTIH shitty governments with shitty spending priorities and even shittier tax laws.

Just read about a scathing anao review of our $90 billion pipeline of warship spending. Why the fuck are we spending $90 billion on a make work scheme for SA?

$90 billion buys a fuck load of social housing, mental health care, drug and alcohol rehab etc etc.

To make things worse, there are other serious things we should be doing like tax reform that has stalled for a decade.

Votes.

Z

Zaf

Slow down Commie, you can't legislate the poor into prosperity.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Thought this thread was meant to just be the "LTIH" - emphasis on the "L". Like when people get receipts from ATMs. You fuckers, why?!?

Reactions: Zaf
Z

Zaf

Thought this thread was meant to just be the "LTIH" - emphasis on the "L". Like when people get receipts from ATMs. You fuckers, why?!?
Relative to the ebb and flow of the universe, these are pretty small issues.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
But it was communist, and where did that get them?
I think fascist might have been a more accurate description of the old USSR. I don't think Marx or Engels would have been too pleased with how Stalin and his replacements ran things. As for how things went for them; I'd say there was some massive economic, technology, health/medical, education, military, agriculture, manufacturing, industry, and social reforms in the first 50 or so years in comparison to the Russia that existed under the Romanov Czars. There was also a lot of negatives, you know...like the fascist persecution and purging. That shit isn't too cool at all.

You can also consider the innovations that Cuba has been forced to come up with thanks to the forced isolation policy of the USA from JFK on and since the fall of the Soviet Union, particularly in medicine.

First into space & a powerful direct competitor to the US.
...and the AK-47. So much better than the American comparison on the era. Ice cream bacon Sunday down the barrel and it will still shoot.

In the dark communist days certain American movies were banned in Russia.
...and there was heavy censorship and black listing in America, the UK, Australia, and a lot of other Western nations as well. Both sides of the coin were propaganda heavy about why the other side was a bad choice.