Little Things You Hate

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Lack of longevity of modern white goods.

Fisher & Paykel Topload just gave up after 5 years. We Got it when my first kid was born and expected a little more life than this. It replaced a 20 year old Kleenmaid that had burned out the motor.

I was about to get my daughter her new bike this month, 1k on a new front loader isn’t going to let that happen now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 years? That’s a number of years beyond the warranty - ie beyond the design life. You’ve done well.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Lack of longevity of modern white goods.

Fisher & Paykel Topload just gave up after 5 years. We Got it when my first kid was born and expected a little more life than this. It replaced a 20 year old Kleenmaid that had burned out the motor.

I was about to get my daughter her new bike this month, 1k on a new front loader isn’t going to let that happen now.

They're normally easy to fix, they've got a self diagnostic mode and all the common parts are still available online. I've got one that's about 9 years old and we wash 3 times a week, it's been through two pumps and tub suspension springs in all that time. There's a lot of info online on how to fix them.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
They're normally easy to fix, they've got a self diagnostic mode and all the common parts are still available online. I've got one that's about 9 years old and we wash 3 times a week, it's been through two pumps and tub suspension springs in all that time. There's a lot of info online on how to fix them.
It’s a weird fault.

Turn it to start a cycle. 1-2 min in the unit powers down, totally unresponsive. Then about a minute later powers on saying powercut, restarting. Then the same cycle again.

F&P were no help, wanted $200 to come and look. I weighed up repairing, did a bit of online research but couldn’t find anything with that fault. I did find about a million negative reviews on our exact machine.
TBH it never washed that well and constantly left clothes with weird scungy smears.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
It’s a weird fault.

Turn it to start a cycle. 1-2 min in the unit powers down, totally unresponsive. Then about a minute later powers on saying powercut, restarting. Then the same cycle again.

F&P were no help, wanted $200 to come and look. I weighed up repairing, did a bit of online research but couldn’t find anything with that fault. I did find about a million negative reviews on our exact machine.
TBH it never washed that well and constantly left clothes with weird scungy smears.

Avoided them on reviews and experiences of friends. Have been happy with Bosch front loaders.

Flow-Rider

Burner
It’s a weird fault.

Check that you don't have any loose wires, you might be able to find a private repair person, yeah $200 to look at it sounds a bit over the top. Ours used to leave a lot of lint behind but then I found out that you can buy a lint filter for them and it's been pretty good.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Kinda off topic - how'd ya house repairs go, @foxpuppet?
Here goes.

It will be 4 months since Hailmaggedon on Saturday.
For Insurance repairs so far we have had tarps put on and..... well that’s it.

They did a minor asbestos clean, pick up of visible debris around the house, emptied our garage and wiped clean what they could, bagged the rest and put everything back in.

I’m not convinced some of the items they said are fine will actually be. There was chunks of asbestos sheet on my mower engine, surely it would have gotten be down inside the engine cover. Snowboard bags and travel bags kept in the garage as well had debris all on them.

The house itself is livable, but with the volume of water that came in every ceiling has to be replaced, every wall except the kitchen will be stripped of gyprock and insulation to be replaced. Carpet all comes up. Electrical has been tested but will be reassessed when walls/ceiling are open.

The roof will come off but the biggest issue there is our existing roof structure isn’t sufficient for current construction standards. This means structural upgrades. Due to our proximity to the bush, Structural upgrades mean meeting BAL FZ requirements. BAL FZ requires DA approval from council.

So at this stage we are looking at minimum 3 months BEFORE any work starts.

Secretly we are hoping it all becomes too hard and they deem it a total loss and we can build a new house with the settlement.

Our house with the 2 vans out front.

Kids are making the most of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Here goes.

It will be 4 months since Hailmaggedon on Saturday.
For Insurance repairs so far we have had tarps put on and..... well that’s it.

They did a minor asbestos clean, pick up of visible debris around the house, emptied our garage and wiped clean what they could, bagged the rest and put everything back in.

I’m not convinced some of the items they said are fine will actually be. There was chunks of asbestos sheet on my mower engine, surely it would have gotten be down inside the engine cover. Snowboard bags and travel bags kept in the garage as well had debris all on them.

The house itself is livable, but with the volume of water that came in every ceiling has to be replaced, every wall except the kitchen will be stripped of gyprock and insulation to be replaced. Carpet all comes up. Electrical has been tested but will be reassessed when walls/ceiling are open.

The roof will come off but the biggest issue there is our existing roof structure isn’t sufficient for current construction standards. This means structural upgrades. Due to our proximity to the bush, Structural upgrades mean meeting BAL FZ requirements. BAL FZ requires DA approval from council.

So at this stage we are looking at minimum 3 months BEFORE any work starts.

Secretly we are hoping it all becomes too hard and they deem it a total loss and we can build a new house with the settlement.

Our house with the 2 vans out front.

Kids are making the most of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That is crazy. Hope you get a resolution one way or another in a decent timeframe. Still shaking my head...

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
...and you haven't been thrown some $ to find alternative residence while this all goes on?

That time frame sux.
yeah we could have moved at the same week, all approved.

However with our policy you get 12 months total Rental Accom (to the value of your own house on the rental market) with no ETA on completion. so we would be 7 months down by the time the DA gets approved before they have even begun.
The actual Policy wording gives you temp accom capped at 10% of your total insured value. same applies to demo of house in case of total loss, it's sum insured plus up 10% for demo costs to clean the site ready for new build (this is our dream scenario - would give us around 550K to play with to demo and rebuild)

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
You need to find additional structural damage so far unseen.
yeah theres an LVL across our dining/lounge room that has been sitting in water for that time. the gyprock around it is sodden and if you give it a squeeze water comes out.... im hoping its the straw that breaks!

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Yes, mould is a big one. LVL shouldnt care unfortunately if made correctly. But if you were to say discover more damage because water has found its way in, like a hose left run overnight, then there may be a reason to demolish. Make sure you cannoy smell the chlorine though.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
I really can’t believe they haven’t moved you all out just on health grounds.

So sorry to hear it’s gone to shit - I was actually expecting a good result

Haakon

Keeps on digging
A LTIH because the ongoing trend towards authoritarian regimes is scary. But this one is interesting. A sovereign state feeling threatened is usually a sign its a shit regime, and I think its safe to say Thailand under its new King has gone to shit on that front.