Little Things You Hate

link1896

Mr Greenfield
A Lion or Astra globe maybe....

Spent 5 minutes searching the youtoobs for this sketch, can’t find the bastard

“Mate we don’t sell bulbs, this is a lighting store. If you need bulbs, go to the gardening store, we sell lamps”

Reactions: D2R

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
A Lion or Astra globe maybe....

Spent 5 minutes searching the youtoobs for this sketch, can’t find the bastard

“Mate we don’t sell bulbs, this is a lighting store. If you need bulbs, go to the gardening store, we sell lamps”
Sounds vaguely like a Two Ronnies sketch......

scblack

Leucocholic
Truly, there are few things in life more enjoyable than being able to maintain and work on your own stuff, whether it be bikes, houses, cars, motorbikes or whatever. Love that feeling when an annoying problem is fully sorted (LTIL though I guess).
I don't quite agree, but then you're an engineer, I'm a beancounter. With many items I'd rather hand it to an expert, and ask them to hand me back a fully serviced, functioning item. I understand you, but I'm not always bothered to take the time required. And I am perfectly happy to pay well for that (the recent service on one of my watches will tell you that).

SummitFever

Eats Squid
I have frequently found when I outsource a job, whether it be a car or house related item, it comes back done with a lower quality of care and workmanship that if I did it myself. I outsource when I don't have the time to do it myself, but it is definitely a LTIH when I am forced through lack of time to pay someone else to do something for me that I could do better myself.

Binaural

Eats Squid
I don't quite agree, but then you're an engineer, I'm a beancounter. With many items I'd rather hand it to an expert, and ask them to hand me back a fully serviced, functioning item. I understand you, but I'm not always bothered to take the time required. And I am perfectly happy to pay well for that (the recent service on one of my watches will tell you that).
Quite a common thing actually - check out the IKEA effect. https://www.hbs.edu/faculty/Publication Files/11-091.pdf
Making an effort makes you appreciate the outcome more.

(Dan Ariely is a great popular science writer in his spare time).

scblack

Leucocholic
Quite a common thing actually - check out the IKEA effect. https://www.hbs.edu/faculty/Publication Files/11-091.pdf
Making an effort makes you appreciate the outcome more.

(Dan Ariely is a great popular science writer in his spare time).
But Nah, its a time management thing. I manage two professional roles at the moment (reporting to French and USA timezones), have two teenage kids and a wife, plus I need drinking time.

I appreciate being handed back a serviced bike, car or watch (in small part because I know they have better expertise than me), and with the time saved I'll take my kids to a park, or a movie.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
I have no power tools, I have a landlord that's required to fix all the things when they break :)

I do like repairing things though, if I've got the know-how and some spare time.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
I have no power tools, I have a landlord that's required to fix all the things when they break :)

I do like repairing things though, if I've got the know-how and some spare time.
I had a landlord that had me wait three weeks for hot water tank replacement.

After that I fixed things when they broke.