Little Things You Hate

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
LTIH but Big TIH

Old laptop Wind 7 got really slow last night, tried to do a turnback and it crashed which ended in a total reset. Now the fuckers have made wind 7 obsolete, nearly impossible to find all the drivers to make everything work again.
Happened to me back on XP. I've been on 10 for 3 years. Was a big update last night. Shit ran slow for hours. I hate MS so hard. I use prepaid data, and the cunts bleed me dry with constant upgrades (which are mostly about uploading our user data while making us pay) which cannot be stopped. I've tried every hack possible for 3 years. Had one 9 month period where I avoided them, but they disabled our ability to disable their bullshit. If it didn't owe me 2k this laptop would have been thrown down the driveway by now.
Fuck you Bill Gates. Seriously .... fuck you ...:mad:

Haakon

veni, vidi, volanti
Happened to me back on XP. I've been on 10 for 3 years. Was a big update last night. Shit ran slow for hours. I hate MS so hard. I use prepaid data, and the cunts bleed me dry with constant upgrades (which are mostly about uploading our user data while making us pay) which cannot be stopped. I've tried every hack possible for 3 years. Had one 9 month period where I avoided them, but they disabled our ability to disable their bullshit. If it didn't owe me 2k this laptop would have been thrown down the driveway by now.
Ubuntu.

Flow-Rider

Wheel size expert
I had XP home on a PC for years and it was problematic as hell, something made it crash big time and then the Graphics card shit, so I ended up using my laptop. I upgraded to Wind 10 on it a few years ago and it was woeful so I went back to Wind 7 and hadn't had a virus for the last 3 years.

Last edited:

Mr Crudley

Eats Squid
I'm not savvy enough for Linux. Have looked into it, but I don't have the skills.
For general internet messing around then a Linux variant should be fine. Not good for gaming.

Newer releases mostly will look after themselves. You shouldn't have to do much command line stuff.

Try something like Linux Mint off a bootable USB stick then you won't lose your Windows stuff. Cheap and easy way to try it without losing what you already have.

stirk

Wheel size expert
LTIH but Big TIH

Old laptop Wind 7 got really slow last night, tried to do a turnback and it crashed which ended in a total reset. Now the fuckers have made wind 7 obsolete, nearly impossible to find all the drivers to make everything work again.
The drivers will be out there but searching for them is a PITA.

Have you thought of putting a Linux system on it?

Depends what software you need of course but if just a basic laptop for web and docs Linux should work nicely and not too steep a learning curve.

Edit:eek:ops late to the Linux party I see.

Don't forget the dual boot option which in English means you can install and run Linux side by side a windows install. When you start the computer you get given an option to boot either. Easier to set than tubeless.

Last edited:

Haakon

veni, vidi, volanti
Just put Linux distro on a bootable USB - you can try before installing it
this. Ubuntu or Mint are user friendly downloads and generally idiot proof. They will make an old laptop that’s too slow on windows sing as they need waaaay less grunt to be happy (ie better software...).

Mint is more windows like and Ubuntu is more Mac like in its UI logic. Both are great.

Flow-Rider

Wheel size expert
The drivers will be out there but searching for them is a PITA.

Have you thought of putting a Linux system on it?

Depends what software you need of course but if just a basic laptop for web and docs Linux should work nicely and not too steep a learning curve.

Edit:eek:ops late to the Linux party I see.

Don't forget the dual boot option which in English means you can install and run Linux side by side a windows install. When you start the computer you get given an option to boot either. Easier to set than tubeless.
I'll keep it in mind but I run shit loads of other programmes like video editing and mapping tools. probably should look at a bigger computer but this one has done the job for now.

Freediver

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'll keep it in mind but I run shit loads of other programmes like video editing and mapping tools. probably should look at a bigger computer but this one has done the job for now.
Plenty of video editing and mapping software for Linux. I've been running it for years and would never go back.

Loggers..... Macedon slowly disappearing.
Farmed pine trees?

Flow-Rider

Wheel size expert
Plenty of video editing and mapping software for Linux. I've been running it for years and would never go back.

Farmed pine trees?
What's it like with Printers and downloading photo's from mobile phones ? I'm at the tail end of everything now, if I have trouble I'll change over.