Little Things You Hate

Minlak

custom titis
In all seriousness I have been unable to get electricians to show up for multiple smaller jobs over many years - Have appointments booked and everything and they just never show.

Last edited:

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I am a sparky.

Its probably just the switch mech thats stuffed, you could try getting the same brand and just changing the single mech. You need the same brand so that it clicks in place.

Nearly all brands of switch mech are the same wire config anyway.

Just kill the whole house before you start, have a head torch on hand, take some photos before you disconnect then swap 1 wire at a time... worst that can really happen is you trip the switch... then have to call a sparky and post it up in the fuckwits thread ;)

Minlak

custom titis
I am a sparky.

Its probably just the switch mech thats stuffed, you could try getting the same brand and just changing the single mech. You need the same brand so that it clicks in place.

Nearly all brands of switch mech are the same wire config anyway.

Just kill the whole house before you start, have a head torch on hand, take some photos before you disconnect then swap 1 wire at a time... worst that can really happen is you trip the switch... then have to call a sparky and post it up in the fuckwits thread ;)
I have complete respect for electricity and even electricians but its not rocket surgery - I would never attempt to wire something for 240v from scratch myself - or would I ever interact with some one else's house - But if it just a matter of copying work already in place wellllll........

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I have complete respect for electricity and even electricians but its not rocket surgery - I would never attempt to wire something for 240v from scratch myself - or would I ever interact with some one else's house - But if it just a matter of copying work already in place wellllll........
Even the Deta brand switches found at Bunnings are the same wiring configuration as HPM, Clipsal ect as they actually do try and standardise things if its similar, if you buy some of the more upmarket stuff from Clipsal like the iconic range, they are square mech rather than round, replacing like for like should be very straight forward but I understand peoples apprehension to mess with electrical in their own home.

The switch mech are little single round barrels with a square fitment. They have 4 terminals, common, 1, 2 and loop. You should only have wires in common and 1 unless its strapped from elsewhere eg, another switch controlling 1 light.

Three of them in a ganged switch just click into the front plate.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
+1. 240Vac needs loads of respect. Seen a few dodgy wiring job done in houses.

I will only go near it if the fuse is pulled and in my pocket and my multimeter shows 0Vac on each wire before anything else.
It will kill you if it gets its way.

Minlak

custom titis
Nothing makes you feel worse that hurling from food poisoning.
I would say that Sea Sickness is far worse than food poisoning in terms of actual violentness and quantity - the only saving grace to sea sickness is normally once you leave the boat it abates pretty quick.

Spent 12 hrs sea sick on a fishing trip once - no one pulls in lines for you on a trip you can just die in a corner

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I would say that Sea Sickness is far worse than food poisoning in terms of actual violentness and quantity - the only saving grace to sea sickness is normally once you leave the boat it abates pretty quick.

Spent 12 hrs sea sick on a fishing trip once - no one pulls in lines for you on a trip you can just die in a corner
You were there to pump out the berley!

Freediver

I can go full Karen

More than 90% of sea sickness is mind over matter. I was working as a DM and the captain of the boat kept a cherry ripe in the really crusty cabin. If someone got sea sick he'd cut a couple cm of it with an equally crusty knife and tell the patient/victim that it was the best cure for sea sickness ever. It worked more than 9 times out of 10 while being complete bullshit. I think the theater of the whole thing also helped. "Yeah I know it's wet, manky and salty but trust me it works"

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Australia and New Zealand share the same electrical standards. Traditionally New Zealand had a lower fatality rate per million people compared to Australia, which had been attributed to their legally allowed electrical DIY. Home owners are allowed to replace switches, light sockets, disconnect hard wired electrical equipment. . No new circuits, no rewiring DB’s.

Looking at the data, seems we are generally getting better is Aus. Mandatory earth leakage detectors (aka safety switches) play a huge part in this, nz mandates them too, maybe their data is skewed by sample size (the fatality side, not the population side).

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
This stuff. It was shitty looking in BMX 10-15 years ago, and it’s shit looking in mtb now.

Bleuch. Way to ruin a good bolt.

moorey

call me Mia
More than 90% of sea sickness is mind over matter. I was working as a DM and the captain of the boat kept a cherry ripe in the really crusty cabin. If someone got sea sick he'd cut a couple cm of it with an equally crusty knife and tell the patient/victim that it was the best cure for sea sickness ever. It worked more than 9 times out of 10 while being complete bullshit. I think the theater of the whole thing also helped. "Yeah I know it's wet, manky and salty but trust me it works"
The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not evidence.

Minlak

custom titis
He’s not wrong though. I’m trying to find a specific study that thats proving too difficult for my google fu, but yeah. For alot of cases it is a mental thing.
Might not want to tell these guys its not real they are probably making a mint studying this

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock

I've been fishing before out the heads and I was the only one that didn't chuck. I rode the boat like a skateboard and didn't roll with it. I'm not a fisherman by any means.

I think I was just lucky. The other guys took something to stop hurling but chucked that up too. A fun day.....Err.....

Mrs and I had a night of chuckage at Uluru after a questionable BBQ Chicken. It does make it harder to like again, for sure.