Little Things You Hate

Fred Nurk

No custom title here
The nurse that was checking me in pre-op and getting me ready was telling me that one surgeon they have now has refused to do shoulder surgeries based on there being a pimple in the targeted area.
I ended up with a rigorous pre-operation routine for my shoulder stabilisation surgery, as it was pointed out to me that any sort of infection or pimple would make the recovery horrendous. At least a week with some fancy expensive soap and additional treatments just in case.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
It should be an everybody thing. I'm not sure how we have let it slip so badly
Its ridiculous, $7.5k for a family and increasing by stupid amounts every year :mad:

We have gold extras for dental but most of us from the UK/Ireland believe in free Hospital care.

Time it was dropped as a whole by all Aussies and drive the private sector back to public.

See now most Doctors surgeries have dropped bulk billing for a consult. The one I go to never did BB on me but you gotta feel for those already feeling the pinch, where a visit to the doc is now too expensive for a lot, never mind a MRI or the likes.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Its ridiculous, $7.5k for a family and increasing by stupid amounts every year :mad:

We have gold extras for dental but most of us from the UK/Ireland believe in free Hospital care.

Time it was dropped as a whole by all Aussies and drive the private sector back to public.

See now most Doctors surgeries have dropped bulk billing for a consult. The one I go to never did BB on me but you gotta feel for those already feeling the pinch, where a visit to the doc is now too expensive for a lot, never mind a MRI or the likes.
Meanwhile the pollies and corporate types are chanting "USA, USA, USA (Mk2)" :(

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Ball Burnishing?
How much did you last pay to get your balls burnished? I'm asking for a friend...

It's a fucking joke.

Minlak

custom titis

The thing is once you earn "X" amount of money you can either give it to the tax man or spend it on Private Health - Then if you delay getting PRivate Health they penalise you for the same number of years you delayed - My Doctor never bulk billed unless you were on a heath care card - pension card - or chronic disease management - Used to be good as you could always get an appointment - Now you can't get into someone that Bulk Bills anyway he is never available

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
The thing is once you earn "X" amount of money you can either give it to the tax man or spend it on Private Health - Then if you delay getting PRivate Health they penalise you for the same number of years you delayed - My Doctor never bulk billed unless you were on a heath care card - pension card - or chronic disease management - Used to be good as you could always get an appointment - Now you can't get into someone that Bulk Bills anyway he is never available
It's a complicated system, that doesn't need to be. Howard and his private health insurance loving cronies should never have been allowed to introduce penalties for not being privately insured. Howard has a long history of opposing public health and the Medicare system as part of his elitist agenda. I would much prefer to the money "saved" put towards improving the health care system, which has beem starved of finding...seemingly in support of coercing people to take up private health.

I am all for people having the right to choose private health cover, and don't disagree with the system existing. But currently it isn't a choice.

Haakon

Keeps on digging

Just ditch it. I feel stupid for having even been conned (blackmailed....) into getting PHI, and when they ripped me off on a surgery I cancelled it. Fuck that.

I'd rather pay more in medicare levy.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Just ditch it. I feel stupid for having even been conned (blackmailed....) into getting PHI, and when they ripped me off on a surgery I cancelled it. Fuck that.

I'd rather pay more in medicare levy.
The one bit of elective surgery I have had was paid for in cash, physical cash. While the surgeon was surprised, it didn't induce him to offer me a discount! Fucking tradies...

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
The thing is once you earn "X" amount of money you can either give it to the tax man or spend it on Private Health - Then if you delay getting PRivate Health they penalise you for the same number of years you delayed
I even missed the boat there. Came to Oz when I was 29, was basically getting penalised from day one, then when I thought about it and realised the tax man was shafting me, it was mega bucks for the whole family.

So have never bothered with it, hopefully if any of us need something elective I can pay for it.

The surgeon I went to see about my knee, put me down as a high priority as it was affecting my work activities. I was diagnosed, went through the consultation process and op done in about 3-4 months IIRC. Was only hanging around the house doing TAFE that corona year, 3-4 months was a breeze.

If you were currently waiting on a knee op in the UK right now, it would be 10yrs plus. They stopped nearly everything elective in 2020 and have got a backlog that they will never clear.

My dad needs a hip replacement at 75, they have basically said to him, you'll be dead before we get to you so live with it... now what painkillers would you like.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I even missed the boat there. Came to Oz when I was 29, was basically getting penalised from day one, then when I thought about it and realised the tax man was shafting me, it was mega bucks for the whole family.

So have never bothered with it, hopefully if any of us need something elective I can pay for it.

The surgeon I went to see about my knee, put me down as a high priority as it was affecting my work activities. I was diagnosed, went through the consultation process and op done in about 3-4 months IIRC. Was only hanging around the house doing TAFE that corona year, 3-4 months was a breeze.

If you were currently waiting on a knee op in the UK right now, it would be 10yrs plus. They stopped nearly everything elective in 2020 and have got a backlog that they will never clear.

My dad needs a hip replacement at 75, they have basically said to him, you'll be dead before we get to you so live with it... now what painkillers would you like.
I'm sure Truss will be getting onto the NHS funding crisis any second now...

Slow moe

Likes Dirt
Fuck PHI.
I've had it for years and have had 1 physio appt and tried to claim 1 surgery. I was told the PHI didn't cover cancer surgery (surgery was to remove more flesh around where I had had a melanoma). Ended up through the public system a few weeks later with exactly the same surgeon. Worked out better as was able to go to the beach on my holiday.
Kicker was that they had got all of the melanoma the first time around. Contemplated calling the surgeon to make sure he knew the test result so that he could claim a higher rate - hard to say it was cancer surgery when there was none

Flow-Rider

Burner
My uncle has had private cover for a long time, he had 2 knee replacements and a hip done. If he had to go public he would have been put on a waiting list for a few years here in Qld, like my neighbor. The worst was to come a month ago when they removed a lymph node due to Hodgenson lymphoma, it was over 7k to do, but his GP didn't know that he had private and booked him into the public, and they called him up for the op before private did.

I went to get private when I was in my 20s and they wouldn't cover me due to the sports I was involved with. When I had a moto accident the hospital didn't have many spare beds and I was put in a room with a few other people that were on the same level as the maternity ward, the guy next to me just screamed all night because he had a crushed vertebra, so between hearing babies crying 24/7 and the guy next to me screaming in pain I didn't get any sleep in the week I was in the hospital. I begged the doctors to let me go home every day I was in there.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
After I dropped the Trance at Stromlo and did all the bones followed by the clavicle plate install, I have nothing but praise for the public system… With the exception of one dodgy night nurse and the guy one night blaring Credlin and Bolt on the TV, it was as good an experience as having a lot of broken bones and bulk opiates could be…

Minlak

custom titis
After I dropped the Trance at Stromlo and did all the bones followed by the clavicle plate install, I have nothing but praise for the public system… With the exception of one dodgy night nurse and the guy one night blaring Credlin and Bolt on the TV, it was as good an experience as having a lot of broken bones and bulk opiates could be…
Overall the public system is great for emergency or priority 1 stuff - where private starts to excel is in elective or lower priority stuff - We deal with people everyday that are in the public system only and as the condition is not getting worse and is non life threatening they have been waiting for years - if the condition worsens and becomes life threatening its escalated but until then even though some cannot walk and or work due to the issues they wait years and years.

One of the biggest problems with Public is resources I am not picking on Public here they can only do what they can do - We recently had to have a lady in labour with an early labour and difficult birth happening right now flown out to Townsville as there was no capacity for her at all. Lady the other day in extreme pain with a leg injury that was not life threatening and was taken to the base hospital in an ambulance left after 10 hrs of not even an offer of a panadol and had still not been assessed.
If she had private head on down the private ED in town and be seen straight away

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Overall the public system is great for emergency or priority 1 stuff - where private starts to excel is in elective or lower priority stuff - We deal with people everyday that are in the public system only and as the condition is not getting worse and is non life threatening they have been waiting for years - if the condition worsens and becomes life threatening its escalated but until then even though some cannot walk and or work due to the issues they wait years and years.

One of the biggest problems with Public is resources I am not picking on Public here they can only do what they can do - We recently had to have a lady in labour with an early labour and difficult birth happening right now flown out to Townsville as there was no capacity for her at all. Lady the other day in extreme pain with a leg injury that was not life threatening and was taken to the base hospital in an ambulance left after 10 hrs of not even an offer of a panadol and had still not been assessed.
If she had private head on down the private ED in town and be seen straight away
Which is all exactly why the private system needs to be killed off.

Minlak

custom titis
Which is all exactly why the private system needs to be killed off.
What? How will that fix anything? People will leave the profession not go oh I can work for less over here that's what I should do. Then lets flood the system with everyone else currently going private.

We pay a lot each year but my calculations so far have me pretty well ahead of the insurer - All I gotta do is stay accident prone and or sick to win!

Haakon

Keeps on digging
What? How will that fix anything? People will leave the profession not go oh I can work for less over here that's what I should do. Then lets flood the system with everyone else currently going private.

We pay a lot each year but my calculations so far have me pretty well ahead of the insurer - All I gotta do is stay accident prone and or sick to win!
I fear you've been supping the neoliberal koolaid a bit too much...