Little Things You Hate

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I find the Optus data breach to be having the same kind of effect on people that the big NSA revelations had a few years ago - people were so surprised their Government was watching them.

Apart from maybe Drivers Licence the majority of people will have online shopped at some point and had their information passed on to "Partners" and onsold already.
Email / Phone / Address will be everywhere - And a lot of people will have given away DOB as well for many rewards apps like Subway etc where you get stuff on your birthday.
Yep, so when drivers license, medicare or passport numbers are revealed, many services will authorise access once name, address, phone number, DOB and a license/Medicare/passport number are used to authenticate the caller on the phone. This is how identity theft occurs and people end up with fraudulent credit accounts or tax returns completed taken out in their name.

The basics are out there long ago.

Let’s not forget optus just very recently improved security around number porting/SIM card swapping, where phone number being ported had to reply to an sms before the process commenced. Lost sims now require the holder to attend retail store and provide ID. Extra security around sim porting/swapping was only implemented in June this year, Optus were previously happy to do just the legal bare minimum.

The Optus API has been found captured in the WayBackMachine’s indexing in 2018. It was setup by the corporate IT guys for a test with full security enabled, and the retail arm IT dept turned off security at some point. With the outsourcing of IT support, I’ll bet some contractor overseas will be the fall guys. Optus is trying to make it was a sophisticated hack, but in reality they left the front door open. They have an insurance policy for hacking, DOS attacks, wide scale system outage, etc. The language and behaviour of the CEO in the initial stages of this disaster appear to have been trying to place themselves in the best light with their insurance provider.

Sometime yesterday Optus has adjusted the API’s output, so the customer ID field’s data returns xxxxxxxxxx.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I find the Optus data breach to be having the same kind of effect on people that the big NSA revelations had a few years ago - people were so surprised their Government was watching them.

Apart from maybe Drivers Licence the majority of people will have online shopped at some point and had their information passed on to "Partners" and onsold already.
Email / Phone / Address will be everywhere - And a lot of people will have given away DOB as well for many rewards apps like Subway etc where you get stuff on your birthday.
Telco's need to keep 2 years to comply with data retention laws https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/abou...telecommunications/data-retention-obligations This is more do to with logging any comms to/from the sender and receiver with key dates or subject headers or other metadata and not the actual message itself.

I believe the ASD/ASIO folks can horde things a lot longer, particularly if there is a warrant or long term investigation still active. I think around 7 years from memory. They do their own thing and work beyond the telco's retention policies hoovering away whatever message or call content they see fit provided there is some justification for it. An0m probably made them not even bother with the more traditional ways of legal intercept and would have been like shooting fish in a barrel. Almost too easy.

Optus's big failing was having these details being able to be reached via an untrusted network. It goes without saying that sensitive stuff shouldn't be kept or accessible anywhere near the edge. Hopefully some good will come out of it all once the dust has settled.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
The Optus API has been found captured in the WayBackMachine’s indexing in 2018. It was setup by the corporate IT guys for a test with full security enabled, and the retail arm IT dept turned off security at some point. With the outsourcing of IT support, I’ll bet some contractor overseas will be the fall guys. Optus is trying to make it was a sophisticated hack, but in reality they left the front door open.
All telco's outsource to the wazoo these days primarily to the lowest bidder :)

Optus has always been into sweating their assets. Many have built their business over systems that grew very interlinked to other internal lines of business and so are hard to remove without a significant cost and visible gain to the consumer. They can't make money out of updating the digital plumbing over what a shiny new product could do instead. The sharp growth and profitability period is all done and it is now all about cost saving unfortunately.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
All telco's outsource to the wazoo these days primarily to the lowest bidder :)

Optus has always been into sweating their assets. Many have built their business over systems that grew very interlinked to other internal lines of business and so are hard to remove without a significant cost and visible gain to the consumer. They can't make money out of updating the digital plumbing over what a shiny new product could do instead. The sharp growth and profitability period is all done and it is now all about cost saving unfortunately.
Yep. Mature, SFA growth businesses face these challenges

Reckon the Telstra board hauled the CTO in by Tuesday lunch time and told him his budget just became unlimited but if anything untoward was to happen he would be gutted and hung from the roof of 242 Exhibition street?

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur

Yep, reminds me a bit of the QANON morons: "tHe GoVeRnMeNt iS sTeAlInG oUr DaTa"

(go on Facebook / Twitter / Telegram to whine about said apparent data theft, zero appreciation of irony)

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Reckon the Telstra board hauled the CTO in by Tuesday lunch time and told him his budget just became unlimited but if anything untoward was to happen he would be gutted and hung from the roof of 242 Exhibition street?
It would probably take them a few years to approve that spend over there I'd guess. If it all looks like it could be going to hell then any like minded C-level exec should be polishing up their CV and looking for 'new opportunities to expand their horizons' before it all came crashing down on their watch.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
FMD :mad:

So I am doing a flying visit next week to see the oldies for 8 days now that the borders are open and not likely to slam shut at the drop of a hat.

Plan is to arrive in Dublin, grab a hire car and drive to Belfast, knock the door and hopefully not give my parents a heart attack.

Thought my old trusty corporate code that drops the price of a Hertz rental car to about 1/3 of the normal price would go down a banger.

Fuck no ! Looks like Hertz International does not give a shit about my Aussie code.

More expensive than Tassie and its a bloody expensive place to hire a car (without the code)

Haven't even added the ~$290 insurance cover yet.

Some shopping around on nightshift needed.

r1.jpg

link1896

Mr Greenfield

So I am doing a flying visit next week to see the oldies for 8 days now that the borders are open and not likely to slam shut at the drop of a hat.

Plan is to arrive in Dublin, grab a hire car and drive to Belfast, knock the door and hopefully not give my parents a heart attack.

Thought my old trusty corporate code that drops the price of a Hertz rental car to about 1/3 of the normal price would go down a banger.

Fuck no ! Looks like Hertz International does not give a shit about my Aussie code.

More expensive than Tassie and its a bloody expensive place to hire a car (without the code)

View attachment 393152
Budget do similar shit fuckery, tried booking on the corporate account but paying on my card to get the corporate rate was impossible.

Hertz have had yet another ceo go down for fraud. The letter left in the top drawer of the CEO’s desk, to only be opened on termination must mentioned something about going to jail and giving till it hurtz.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Hire cars are a rip off in the EU. We did a deal from here and then got thumped with all sorts of extras after we returned home. Had to fight for months to get it removed and reimbursed. Bastards.

Haakon

Keeps on digging

View attachment 393152
use a third party site like rentalcars.com

And don’t buy insurance from the rental companies. Your travel insurance will usually have rental car cover - 1cover.com for example does.

But be careful still. I got a Merc in Germany for 14 days for a good price, but when plans changed and i gave it back early, the deal went out the window and I got charged a stupid rate - cost me an extra two grand :( It was there in the very very fine print….

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
If you don't have separate travel insurance, check your credit card as many have their own insurance if you pay for the flights with them. Has saved me a few grand.
Having spent some time working for a car rental company, i refuse to buy their insurance
No travel insurance, just what I got through paying my flight with my Commbank CC.

EDIT: Dug a little but deeper, fully comp travel insurance for $89 will cover rental vehicle excess up to $6k but I have to put 1500 euros on my CC on pickup. Saves $300 on insurance excess fee.

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
This is very little, but fuck I hate it!!!

You know when you go to pay for something via card and the EFTPOS device takes a few moments to load up? Well I fucking hate it when the fuckwit operating the POS assumes me/you/us are too stupid to recognise the EFTPOS device and are unfamiliar with the process for paying via card and say something like "you can tap here..." and point to the device that you are staring at waiting for it to load up. How about you tap this you stupid looking cunt???

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
While I'm bitching...if your menu says a meal features coleslaw and it is listed as the second component of that meal, then that meal better feature a fuckload of slaw!!!! And I mean a FUCKLOAD! That slaw also needs to be a big wet dripping mess of slawtastic flavours. Slaw is fucking cheap and even if you throw it out...stop holding back. I specifically ordered something that came with slaw and I reckon it had about 3 table spoons of shredded cabbage without any form of slaw dressing. Oh and a couple of craisins.