Little Things You Hate

SummitFever

Eats Squid
...For some reason the parting off blades & the boring bars always seem to get munted by muppets with "passion fingers"...
There's good reason. Parting off is one of the trickier things. It pretty much involves every aspect of properly using a lathe. The tool height needs to be set to center, the tool itself needs to be parallel to the chuck face, you've got a variable feed rate from start to finish, for larger diameters you can't do it all in one cut and you've got a tool that's sort of fragile with a long stick out. If the operator doesn't have a "feel" for the machine and what they are machining it always ends in tears (or at least broken tools).

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
There's good reason. Parting off is one of the trickier things. It pretty much involves every aspect of properly using a lathe. The tool height needs to be set to center, the tool itself needs to be parallel to the chuck face, you've got a variable feed rate from start to finish, for larger diameters you can't do it all in one cut and you've got a tool that's sort of fragile with a long stick out. If the operator doesn't have a "feel" for the machine and what they are machining it always ends in tears (or at least broken tools).
I've never had a problem parting-off TBH. I've never broken a parting tool. So I get frustrated with other blokes (who should know better) who are rushing/careless.

(Of course now that I have posted this, I'll bust the tool on the next job :rolleyes:)

I have, however, launched a steel coffee mug out of the 3-jaw and across the workshop....but that's another story for the FW thread :oops:

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
And if you call yourself a fitter/machinist/toolmaker you should know all this and act accordingly ffs and not snap both ends off the tool holder! It’s not that bloody hard.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Do tell. Keen to hear this story.
Insulated s/steel mug was a bit too high to fit under the coffee machine because it had a flared 'skirt' around the bottom (medievil style)

No worries I thought, I'll just take a few mm off the bottom. Because it's a double wall mug (effectively hollow) you can't squeeze it very hard in the jaws or it just crushes.

I'll just go nice n easy I thought.
Prolly had the speed a bit high too.
Was feeding it super slow....real careful.... all going well.... then BOING!
The tool dug in, levered the mug out and away she flew.

I'm not proud of this confession... but you forced me to tell it

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Insulated s/steel mug was a bit too high to fit under the coffee machine because it had a flared 'skirt' around the bottom (medievil style)

No worries I thought, I'll just take a few mm off the bottom. Because it's a double wall mug (effectively hollow) you can't squeeze it very hard in the jaws or it just crushes.

I'll just go nice n easy I thought.
Prolly had the speed a bit high too.
Was feeding it super slow....real careful.... all going well.... then BOING!
The tool dug in, levered the mug out and away she flew.

I'm not proud of this confession... but you forced me to tell it

Better than the old car coil spring compressor failure and having a few KGs of spring launch across the workshop at warp speed... Only done that once, scared the shit out of me and I've super careful ever since!!!!!

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Better than the old car coil spring compressor failure and having a few KGs of spring launch across the workshop at warp speed... Only done that once, scared the shit out of me and I've super careful ever since!!!!!
Yep. I've been doing exactly that job this week actually. Looong spring too - so fucken sketchy.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Yep. I've been doing exactly that job this week actually. Looong spring too - so fucken sketchy.

French cars back in the day got their magic sauce combination of soft ride with shit hot road holding in part by using unusually very long but quite soft springs that were compressed a lot (in conjunction with very good damping). But it made them scary as hell to remove safely, with most common spring compressors unable to handle the length of them when uncompressed...