Little Things You Hate

stirk

Burner
LTIH: the horn on the new wheels...so very disappointing. I seriously reckon they found an old box of Toyota Echo horns and said fuck it, they'll do.

The tooter on the old car was brilliant, it would startle muppets from their phone induced gaze at greenlights thinking they had a angry, drug induced truckie behind them as they dropped the phone and fumbled for gears, now all I get is disapproving, derisive glances in the rear view mirror.

Goes off to search for train horns on Google...
Stebel nautilus is what you need!

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Planned obsolescence... Nothing new, but every now and then something will really annoy. Bosch wiper blades as factory fitted to the Alfa - cant replace the rubber blade itself, you have to replace the whole assembly... Grrr.

Replaced them with Valeo wipers, which can have the inserts replaced.
Keep the blade and replace the car?

stirk

Burner
Planned obsolescence... Nothing new, but every now and then something will really annoy. Bosch wiper blades as factory fitted to the Alfa - cant replace the rubber blade itself, you have to replace the whole assembly... Grrr.

Replaced them with Valeo wipers, which can have the inserts replaced.
Not quite planned obsolescence, just a bastard and wasteful practice car manufacturers use to make more cash from non mechanically minded buyers who will opt for the factory option.

Someone told me this idea of planned obsolescence started in the car industry, or was it Victa mowers, either way it's a marketing trick used by the car industry to up sell minor tweeks to already perfectly functioning parts to keep the factory rolling out 'new' models.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
I find wiper blades lose that new soft perfect wipe fairly quickly.
(say, within 12 months)
I have a theory that it is related to UV exposure.
Over the years they have become pretty fancy & expensive... But I must admit the one piece flex blade style ones do a very good job!

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

Flow-Rider

Burner
(say, within 12 months)
Over the years they have become pretty fancy & expensive... But I must admit the one piece flex blade style ones do a very good job!

Cheap blades fuck up fast, tridon wiper refills are the only one that last I've found and if you use the proper wild shield washer detergent it keeps the rubber supple for longer.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Cheap blades fuck up fast, tridon wiper refills are the only one that last I've found and if you use the proper wild shield washer detergent it keeps the rubber supple for longer.
Yeah for sure. I bought Tridon last time, good quality for sure.

A tip for punters trying to save money;
My old ute isn't worth much so splashing out on fancy wipers seems daft.
On Fleabay you can buy individual blades... so I just bought a flexblade for the drivers side only and a cheaper insert for the passo side.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
(say, within 12 months)

I tend to spend the dollars and get good ones, the cheapie ones end up being more expensive in the long run.

I've been using Valeo flat blades for years, best I've found. wiperblades.co.uk is your friend if you have a euro car.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
I tend to spend the dollars and get good ones, the cheapie ones end up being more expensive in the long run.

I've been using Valeo flat blades for years, best I've found. wiperblades.co.uk is your friend if you have a euro car.
What about a Colorado? Not paying a Holden Dealer for wipers :mad:

Haakon

Keeps on digging
What about a Colorado? Not paying a Holden Dealer for wipers :mad:
That’s the rebadged Daewoo compensation device thing right? People getting sucked into buying those piles dents my otherwise rosey outlook on humanity...

Just hit eBay and search for Bosch aerotwin or trico flat blades. Its a common pos in oz so eBay will front some decent options.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
That’s the rebadged Daewoo compensation device thing right? People getting sucked into buying those piles dents my otherwise rosey outlook on humanity...

Just hit eBay and search for Bosch aerotwin or trico flat blades. Its a common pos in oz so eBay will front some decent options.
Sorry, I’m thinking captiva. Colorado is the rebadged Isuzu compensation device... Same result.
Rough day at the desk?