Little Things You Hate

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Geez... I might be doing it wrong. I liked the 380. Maybe “rental car” is the common theme here, but had a new rental 380 when I came across a great set of twistys heading inland from Port Macquarie - I had to stop twice for the transmission to cool down and come out of limp mode, but I found the chassis and brakes very good and very chuckable for such a big car. The traction control was nicely done too and allowed a good amount of inside wheel spin out of corners to make it dance a little for fun, but gave great steering feedback without being too torque steery as it scrabbled for traction.
Won't go so far as to say you're doing it wrong, but...... ;)

I am biased though. I dislike front wheel drive more than I dislike automatics, at least you can make an auto almost behave like a manual. And don't get me started on understeer

I've only ever owned rear wheel drives, the 380 was a company car, and was treated as such.

Haakon

Keeps on digging

I am biased though. I dislike front wheel drive more than I dislike automatics, at least you can make an auto almost behave like a manual. And don't get me started on understeer

I've only ever owned rear wheel drives, the 380 was a company car, and was treated as such.
Cool. I quite like front drive and to me it’s rear drive I don’t quite gel with. One of the funnest gravel road cars I had was a mid 80s Renault Fuego - it was the proverbial lead tipped arrow (something silly like 65% weight bias to the front!) but with a great engine with bags of torque and a good double wishbone front end. Bags of lift off oversteer into corners sideways and just light up the front wheels on exit and pull itself out. Good clean fun :)

Haakon

Keeps on digging

Front drive is a totally different approach, you gotta “tip it into” corners, treat it like a rear drive and it will plough...Use the engine braking (or brakes) to tip the weight forward and get the nose to hook up and tuck in.

(He says as a rank amateur with no track experience @Dales Cannon will chime in with better advice...). My “skills” are wanna be rally driver as a kid with bush bombs and miles of fire trials.

It’s super hard on tyres though - the Alfa for example came with 225/45-17 Bridgy Turanza and they’re looking sad at 25K and will be dead at 30...

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Front drive is a totally different approach, you gotta “tip it into” corners, treat it like a rear drive and it will plough...Use the engine braking (or brakes) to tip the weight forward and get the nose to hook up and tuck in.

(He says as a rank amateur with no track experience @Dales Cannon will chime in with better advice...). My “skills” are wanna be rally driver as a kid with bush bombs and miles of fire trials.

It’s super hard on tyres though - the Alfa for example came with 225/45-17 Bridgy Turanza and they’re looking sad at 25K and will be dead at 30...
I think that was the 380's problem, big V6 up front meant too much weight. I hate to think what the fleet manager thought of my tire life.

Mrs George's 1992 5 speed Corolla Seca was pretty fun for a FWD. Made buzzing thru the back streets of Adelaide a bit of fun. One time I put a new pair on the front, managed to loop it on a damp morning on the way to work :rolleyes:

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I think that was the 380's problem, big V6 up front meant too much weight. I hate to think what the fleet manager thought of my tire life.

Mrs George's 1992 5 speed Corolla Seca was pretty fun for a FWD. Made buzzing thru the back streets of Adelaide a bit of fun. One time I put a new pair on the front, managed to loop it on a damp morning on the way to work :rolleyes:
Those little light ones were fun too.

I also had the other end too - rear engine little Reno from the 60s. Whole thing weighed 850kg wet, rear 65% bias and swing axle rear suspension!! That thing went around on my twice once being a bit incautious on a wet corner... The trick there was if the back started to go you can’t lift off, you keep the power on and drive out of it - lift off and you guaranteed to be doing a full rotation!!!

A scary little car but super fun :)

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
On line retailers that won't let you use more than one voucher code at a time. I had a discount code and a voucher from a "refund"...I should've been able to use both. It didn't stop me though.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Didn’t forget, didn't know. I’m Victorian, everything north of the Murray is a bit of a blur... Think I drove through the Royal once, looked like a nice cycling road ruined by cars :) But it also was billiard table smooth if I recall? I like lumpy roads for proper handling tests :)
You don’t remember the RNP at all. It’s properly lumpy.

Comic Book Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Never seen that page before, f'ing hilarious. Not surprised to see so many idiots crashing their cars. Been in the nasho many times and it never ceases to amaze me the idiots who treat it as a race track, even during the day.