Little Things You Hate

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
I’ve been watching lots of Louis Rossmann last few days. Dude cracks me up, and makes some good points. Hypnotic to watch him solder whilst rambling on.

Anyway, I bought an IFIXIT kit to do iPhone battery myself, would look to them to see what you can get to do for an iMac...

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I’ve been watching lots of Louis Rossmann last few days. Dude cracks me up, and makes some good points. Hypnotic to watch him solder whilst rambling on.

Anyway, I bought an IFIXIT kit to do iPhone battery myself, would look to them to see what you can get to do for an iMac...
Alas not a matter of buying a fix, it’s simple damage to a tiny tiny bridge from the board to the connector track. Should I think be fixable, but such fine work it’s gonna be a specialty job...

Haakon

Shot through the magnifying glass :)

You can see on little wire bridge missing and the contact from inside the connector has pulled out too. Maybe a tiny wire can be fed in and soldered down...

Pretty sure that’s not a replaceable connector assembly....

Haakon

Confirmation that I’m not fixing this shit myself... This irks me massively, I’m all about the DIY but this one I’m happy (...?) to concede defeat ...

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Do you have the pin that’s come out of the connector @Haakon? It certainly looks fixable if you can somehow get that pin back in.

Looking at your photo, it looks like I can see the name I-PEX on the left hand end of the connector. Apply a bit of Google fu and...

I’d imagine Alibaba would be the first place to look for one.

Whether it’s 0.4 or 0.5 pitch I can’t tell but it’s easy enough to measure. Getting the old one off would be a right pain and probably best left to someone who has the right gear to do it without fucking the PCB, lifting tracks/pads etc. Here’s how someone skilled would do it (not the same number of pins but the same process):

So the good news is it can be fixed, if you can find the part.

Haakon

Do you have the pin that’s come out of the connector @Haakon? It certainly looks fixable if you can somehow get that pin back in.

Looking at your photo, it looks like I can see the name I-PEX on the left hand end of the connector. Apply a bit of Google fu and...

I’d imagine Alibaba would be the first place to look for one.

Whether it’s 0.4 or 0.5 pitch I can’t tell but it’s easy enough to measure. Getting the old one off would be a right pain and probably best left to someone who has the right gear to do it without fucking the PCB, lifting tracks/pads etc. Here’s how someone skilled would do it (not the same number of pins but the same process):

So the good news is it can be fixed, if you can find the part.
Holy crap, that’s amazing. I didn’t even see that IPEX logo... so that’s awesome, thanks so much!! That at the very least helps me ask the right questions of the computer repair shops!

And no splinters, the pin came away bits and were so small as to be called fragments..

Rotorburn is clearly the central repository of all knowledge and wisdom ;)

Last edited:

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Didn’t read the instructions. Hamfisted fuckwittery on delicate shit done busted it. Extreme financial penalties apply.

Lesson - stick to bikes and don’t fuck with computers.
I know what you did, I'm an expert at that...my Eh comment was more about wtf are they talking about in that clip.

Attachments

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Check whether it still works. These high speed digital signal cables will often have an interleaved ground arrangement for signal shielding purposes. What this means is there may be a variety of pins that carry earth (sometimes every second pin). These shielding earths are redundant so losing one may not matter. You may be lucky.

Haakon

Check whether it still works. These high speed digital signal cables will often have an interleaved ground arrangement for signal shielding purposes. What this means is there may be a variety of pins that carry earth (sometimes every second pin). These shielding earths are redundant so losing one may not matter. You may be lucky.
It doesn’t... Display was wonky when first plugged in, that’s how I found the damaged socket... After I prodded it the damaged pin fell out altogether and screen no worky at all...

Louis Rossman recommended a guy in Queensland :)