Little Things You Hate

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Heaps cheaper & much more efficient to fix it, @Haakon.

Send it to the banana state!
Yep, it’s off to get a tan up north! Looking hopeful I might get out of it for a few hundred...

Better dig out my old Mac Mini and ancient monitor from the shed... Looks like the iMac will be offline for a while!

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Good thing its finally the year of linux on the desktop* and we can all move back to more serviceable computers again.

*for reals this time I swear.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Good thing its finally the year of linux on the desktop* and we can all move back to more serviceable computers again.

*for reals this time I swear.
I have to say though, getting the screen off was a piece of piss. And once in the components are all very serviceable.

This was totally user error and I’m not pinging Apple at all for design issues here.

It’s not as if you’re inside your computer every week, another 10 minutes mucking around with adhesive strips isn’t the end of the world I think. An iMac isn’t particularly overpriced either once you look at what comparable monitors cost! Where Apple screw you is upgrades at purchase time - $800 option for the 1TB SSD! Fuck that - Samsung SSD and adapter to replace the 3.5 spinny drive $200... Even with the board repair lll be ahead :)

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
I am a Apple user / fan - but I'm starting to tire of their dodgy practices regarding the right to repair etc. The flip side is, I've never had issues beyond replacing a battery (and a macbook screen under warranty) in the last 10 years. So I've been lazy and happy to plod along.

Just watching a few of Louis' videos reminds me that its probably time to build my own PCs again (and run linux on my home setup as well as work).

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Neeeerrrrrrrrrdddddds!
I prefer reducers of consumer waste and fuckwit thread interventionists myself, but nerds works too.

@Haakon's plight sort of reminds me of a story about a guy who bought a Datsun in the early 70's, which broke down because some plastic gear on the engine broke. Apparently the cost for the replacement part was so ridiculous from the local dealer that the guy made some enquiries and found out he could get them dirt cheap from the manufacturer in Japan. Figuring he'd be able to make a packet by buying lots of the plastic gears cheap and selling them back here at a healthy profit, he went to Japan, filled a plane with them and headed home. Being that the Vietnam war was still raging, it was not surprising that the trigger happy North Vietnamese Army shot the plane out of the sky as it flew overhead. A local farmer tending to his rice paddy that saw the unfortunate spectacle and all the plastic gears dropping everywhere, turned to his wife and said "look, it's raining Datsun cogs".

I'll see myself out.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I am a Apple user / fan - but I'm starting to tire of their dodgy practices regarding the right to repair etc. The flip side is, I've never had issues beyond replacing a battery (and a macbook screen under warranty) in the last 10 years. So I've been lazy and happy to plod along.

Just watching a few of Louis' videos reminds me that its probably time to build my own PCs again (and run linux on my home setup as well as work).
Yeah agreed. The 27 imac is a bloody nice monitor though! I just like Mac OS... So anything I build would end u being a hackintosh anyway, so like you i plod along while it all works. And I've had a very good run over a coupe of dozen apple thigns over the years... One glitchy apple tv that was replaced no arguments, and one iphone out of a dozen ive had with a wonky volume button that was replaced on the spot no arguments.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
That connector should be easy to replace using a heat gun: it's on the edge of the board, with locating pins and only has contacts on one side. Heat gun to get it off, clean up the pads with solder wick and then solder back on with small tip on soldering iron and plenty of liquid flux.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
That connector should be easy to replace using a heat gun: it's on the edge of the board, with locating pins and only has contacts on one side. Heat gun to get it off, clean up the pads with solder wick and then solder back on with small tip on soldering iron and plenty of liquid flux.
I'm all about the DIY, I love spending endless hours learning stuff and having a go and feeling super smug when I get it right. I've also been usually not afraid of electronics.

This one I'm going to pass on, at least until it all goes horribly wrong and i end up having to fix it myself anyway... The bloke in Queensland has agreed to replace the connector, so I've ordered a pack of them from aliexpress and ill send the board up to him when they arrive.

I am confident I could probably learn how to do it, but its not a skill I'm going to need much and I'd rather spend the time riding I think :)

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
starting to really hate intersections with more than one turn lane, so many muppets who cant keep in their lane. had a van decide both lanes were his yesterday, then tried to claim I ran into his lane.

should add context: just left hospital with news the cancer markers are lowest ever and back in normal people levels, and after next CT scan we wont do anymore unless I develop new symptoms. pretty much skipped down the road. made it 1 block before numpty hit me.

Last edited:

link1896

Mr Greenfield
starting to really hate intersections with more than one turn lane, so many muppets who cant keep in their lane. had a van decide both lanes were his yesterday, then tried to claim I ran into his lane.

should add context: just left hospital with news the cancer markers are lowest ever and back in normal people levels, and after next CT scan we wont do anymore unless I develop new symptoms. pretty much skipped down the road. made it 1 block before numpty hit me.
Great news Tubby.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

That's great news man, glad to hear it. Sound like van man should have been leading a procession in your honour!

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar

That's awesome news Tubs!
I can't imagine what it's been like with that mongrel bastard disease.

Unfortunately I can imagine the mouth breather in the van.