Little Things You Hate

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Our banks continue to deliver:

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...-this-related-to-child-exploitation-explainer

Austrac says the payments should have been detected and stopped because they were consistent with the types of transfers made by people involved in child exploitation. One of the Westpac customers allegedly paid someone in the Philippines who was later charged with “live streaming of child sex shows and offering children for sex”. Another customer already had a conviction for child exploitation but was allegedly not properly monitored. Six of them repeatedly travelled to the Philippines or south-east Asia.
But the sky is the limit because AML-CTF breaches carry heavy fines of up to $21m a contravention.

The only comparison in the market is that the Commonwealth Bank paid $700m to settle 53,000 AML-CTF breaches last year.

On that basis, Westpac would be looking at a fine of about $300bn, or almost 44 years of profits. That also seems unlikely.
Fuckers.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
No ssd for storage. All enterprise Sata and SAS.

I’ve discovered a potential new side business. Many of my partners photography friends are in an utter mess with their storage arrangements, with dozens of portable hard drives and NFI where anything is, and no backups.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
(nerd alert)

My battery UPS kicked in yesterday during a power failure. First time it's been required. Everything stayed on except the bloody hub that sits between the computer and and the RAID. So the drives disconnected, otherwise I would have had an hour of work up my sleeve.

Lesson learned there, one little piece of the bigger picture can undo all the good work. No data lost luckily.

(/nerd alert)

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I’ve excess of repaired 2200va eatons. Eaton are evil pricks, they have a custom engineered fan design that once it fails, they compel the owner to buy new. Three wire fan, but third wire isn’t rpm signal, it goes logic low on good rpm status. No other fans do this. So I’ve repaired a bunch by replacing the fans.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I’ve excess of repaired 2200va eatons. Eaton are evil pricks, they have a custom engineered fan design that once it fails, they compel the owner to buy new. Three wire fan, but third wire isn’t rpm signal, it goes logic low on good rpm status. No other fans do this. So I’ve repaired a bunch by replacing the fans.
I hate Eatons. The software is crap and they are stupidly noisy.

I've had much better service from Cyberpower.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Hmmm, Ive got an Eaton. Good to know.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I hate Eatons. The software is crap and they are stupidly noisy.

I've had much better service from Cyberpower.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
Published api, and many third party apps to control/monitor if you don’t like theirs. And the EX series I’ve used and repaired extensively really is a data centre product where noise isn’t a consideration.

I have little influence in product selection.

Eaton failure rate is 5% over 700ish units.
APC is 12% over 1000ish units, excluding batteries. Apc love stupidly high float charges, battery life is pretty crap. The rolls Royce of UPS’ is still Liebert/Emerson for data centres/enterprise.

Cyberpower seems more targeted at desktop environment from what I can see.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Eaton failure rate is 5% over 700ish units.
APC is 12% over 1000ish units, excluding batteries. Apc love stupidly high float charges, battery life is pretty crap. The TOYOTA HILUX of UPS’ is still Liebert/Emerson for data centres/enterprise.
fixed it for you!
you have obviously have never worked on Piller or HITEC gear,if Piller is the Mercedes AMG of UPS's then HITEC is the Koenigsegg

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I knew I should have stayed away from car analogies.

Pillar and hitech are more for critical
Infrastructure then commercial data from what I have seen.