Little Things You Hate

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Jesus what actually makes a modern fluke intrinsically safe vs a bog standard one?

When I clicked on the link I was expecting to find a fluke inside a scuba diving camera style enclosure in reverse, with fluid on the inside.

The rotary switch and the fuse I guess are the points of risk? And I though I had reason to cry when I crushed a made in USA 179

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Jesus what actually makes a modern fluke intrinsically safe vs a bog standard one?

When I clicked on the link I was expecting to find a fluke inside a scuba diving camera style enclosure in reverse, with fluid on the inside.

The rotary switch and the fuse I guess are the points of risk? And I though I had reason to cry when I crushed a made in USA 179
EX ratings are a con! I’ve used some absolute godawful Intrinsically Safe cameras over the years that are essentially an el cheapo Bali-market 5Mp knock-off camera shoved into a bulky plastic housing that’s somehow worth $5000 because it’s got the all important EX tag

If a modern good quality $300 point-and-shoot can keep liquid away from the sparky bits at depths of up to 10m, it should be able to keep gas out too - Not that you want to be hanging out in explosive atmospheres anyway. Gas clouds often carry their own static charge and it doesn’t take much to set one off!

Fred Nurk

No custom title here
EX ratings are a con! I’ve used some absolute godawful Intrinsically Safe cameras over the years that are essentially an el cheapo Bali-market 5Mp knock-off camera shoved into a bulky plastic housing that’s somehow worth $5000 because it’s got the all important EX tag

If a modern good quality $300 point-and-shoot can keep liquid away from the sparky bits at depths of up to 10m, it should be able to keep gas out too - Not that you want to be hanging out in explosive atmospheres anyway. Gas clouds often carry their own static charge and it doesn’t take much to set one off!
<pedant>
You do know EX != IS, right?
</pedant>

cammas

Seamstress
The wife got a new half turn tap set for the bathroom online, she showed me and I half looked at it (as I was probably surfing through this very forum), it arrives only to find out this set doesn’t come with the breeches which is the problem with original set in the first place. Chat with the eldest boy and he says don’t worry I’ll get a mate to grab another complete set and he fit them as he is a plumber. I’m like sweet, too much of a pain in the arse to return the others due to click and collect etc, so fuck it I’ll put them in our ensuite.
Anyway go through all the instructions, fit them up and they look great, turn on the water no leaking taps off to a good start. Turn on the taps and water comes out all good, look under the sink water dripping, fuck it. I should have replaced the o rings on the T piece, okay I pull it apart and change them which was total pain just due to the location. Turn on the water still a leak coming from the spout now I’m ready to stab someone, pull the spout off and then realise that I forgot to put Teflon tape on the thread, apply teflon and guess what it doesn’t leak. All the time I’m trying to do this before the wife gets back from down the street, what a fuckwit but at least she is happy.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Yeah but it’s really just a fancy way for Toaster -Repair Technicians to be able to fleece folk under the guise of safety.;)

It’s a bit like AS/NZ stickers specifically being required on helmets.
I'm going to disagree somewhat. Certification of Ex components is all about not having the final duck lining up, it only exists as a last line of defence when all of the other risk reduction measures have failed. Some of my dealings with international IECEx test houses have been nothing short of criminal where as the local test houses while occasionally painfull to deal with are always thorough. What value do you put on a life, certification is expensive and usually associated with low volume products so where does the cost get apportioned?

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
You don'y say to your mates that you're off to buy a Ferrari and come back with a Yellow one...You get the Red one because its better!
Ex ratings are no different..(EX is short for expensive)
it is a whisker under $1000 for a non IS one, as the meter is semi-water proof, dust proof, shock proof to 3m drop...but yeah, its a fcuking expensive piece of kit

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
LTIL: CRC order placed 31st August arrived this morning.
Shipping from the UK is amazing atm, I ordered some sunnies from there 10pm Tuesday, woke upon Wednesday with an email stating that shipping has been delayed because of Bank Holiday weekend over there...delivered this morning. Was sent with DHL so missed the Aus Post black hole.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Shipping from the UK is amazing atm, I ordered some sunnies from there 10pm Tuesday, woke upon Wednesday with an email stating that shipping has been delayed because of Bank Holiday weekend over there...delivered this morning. Was sent with DHL so missed the Aus Post black hole.
Yep. DHL for mine too. Got an email Thursday saying delivery by th 10th which I thought was fair. Then an email this morning saying parcel out for delivery today

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Yep. DHL for mine too. Got an email Thursday saying delivery by th 10th which I thought was fair. Then an email this morning saying parcel out for delivery today
Exactly the same as me, and I thought they were optimistic with the 10th.

stirk

Burner
Get up in there and drop the smelly chunt into a zip bag.
While you are up in there, throw a load of blocks of rat bait around. Might as well have them all stinking at once. Hopefully they fekk off outside to die anyway.
Ha! A mate of mine threw baits around the roof thinking the rats would die outside, how horribly wrong he was. I think he ended up collecting 7 stinking rats from his roof. And I did warn him.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Ha! A mate of mine threw baits around the roof thinking the rats would die outside, how horribly wrong he was. I think he ended up collecting 7 stinking rats from his roof. And I did warn him.
I had a mouse choose a drip tray in the back of my fridge as it's final resting place. I was away for the first few days and as the tray was hidden in the back of the fridge it took another day before I actually found it. The best way of describing the resulting scene was 'furry soup'
I tried cleaning it out but after 3 voms I gave up, dragged the whole thing outside, drove up to Melbourne and bought a new fridge.