Little Things You Love

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Vegans peaceful protest in the cbd - fine. Part of living in an open democracy. Directly threatening people, not so fine if only because it’s counter productive to their cause, but mostly because it’s not part of living in an open democracy, it’s just thuggery.

Activists being too dumb to be strategic and engage in counter productive stuff like that when their basic ideas are laudable - just annoying.

Government ministers trying to change the law to stem protests - disgusting... Like the tassies changing the rules to jail legal fortrsty protesters.

Commercial meat industries - fucking vile...

“Meat lovers” who are banging on about this and “making a point” to eat more meat - way more pathetic than the vegans...

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
Vegans peaceful protest in the cbd - fine. Part of living in an open democracy. Directly threatening people, not so fine if only because it’s counter productive to their cause, but mostly because it’s not part of living in an open democracy, it’s just thuggery.

Activists being too dumb to be strategic and engage in counter productive stuff like that when their basic ideas are laudable - just annoying.

Government ministers trying to change the law to stem protests - disgusting... Like the tassies changing the rules to jail legal fortrsty protesters.

Commercial meat industries - fucking vile...

“Meat lovers” who are banging on about this and “making a point” to eat more meat - way more pathetic than the vegans...
I love how you found a way to hate everyone on all sides here. Solid effort.

Haakon

I love how you found a way to hate everyone on all sides here. Solid effort.
Meh. I think vegan activism is a good thing. But if the end goal is to reduce animal suffering and reduce emissions from meat production, you need to be smart about it. I'm not naive enough to think appealing to people's conscience or better nature would be effective because people are not that simple (most people...), but the way these guys did it just put the mainstream offside and that's putting the idea backwards. Its frustrating.

And no one can tell me the commercial meat industry is ok... Its "better" than many many other places (ie anywhere with kosher or halal...) when it comes to animal suffering, but its a long way from acceptable. And yes, I've been to plenty of abattoirs and no I'm not a soft city slicker.

Haakon

If there's vegan nudism involved, I'm all for it.
I'd caution you there - I grew up in the hippie community and went to many hippie festivals. Like any other group, there is only a very very very small subset of this community that should be allowed to nude up...

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
There's a lot to be said ethically and environmentally for the vegan thing.

But these protestors are doing their cause no favours. Shame they can't promote things more positively, i.e. "eat vegan once a week, here's a recipe, try it, it's actually good"

You're not going to turn an oil tanker just like that..

moorey

call me Mia
I’m not going to condone the demonstrators or their actions....but that’s the nature and outcome of basically every protest ever.
I would never do what they’re doing, and I’ve had a million wankers giving me shit and mouthing off over the protest. It’s largely tongue in cheek, but I really can’t be fucked with it.
Vegans already piss people off, partly because of many of their self righteous attitudes, but also because it often forces non vegans to consider their own actions, and they feel guilty. Others are just haters.

That’s all I have to say about that.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Vegans already piss people off, partly because of many of their self righteous attitudes, but also because it often forces non vegans to consider their own actions, and they feel guilty. Others are just haters.
Yeah, its weird how people react to it. Almost like being a cyclist too. Just irrational hatred for something that challenges them to think why it might be that people choose not to eat meat.

The other reaction is when you're out to dinner, order something vegan and immediately people begin telling you how rarely they eat meat.

moorey

call me Mia
Yeah, I get a lot of that, and honestly I couldn’t give a cuss, yet people seem compelled to either apologise or justify.