Little Things You Love

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Could this be the fastest delivery ever? So it isn't bike related, but wow! I purchased a new snowboard on 14 September from an English website. It arrived this morning.

I purchased a bike helmet (and other snow gear) a few days.
prior from another English website...it is still somewhere between England and here.

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
No idea how it got to this point but LTIL...actually selling bikes.

Now I'm going to and join the witness protection program before any of you can find me and punish me for such a statement
I love selling bikes when it funds new bike stuffs. Even better if it is a crap bike you've flipped and doubled your money.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I love selling bikes when it funds new bike stuffs. Even better if it is a crap bike you've flipped and doubled your money.
Its such a good way to make some cash hey? I'll usually keep my eye out for cracked frames. Aluminium, steel, carbon...any of them are an easy fix and bounce, especially carbon! Because buyers are already expecting to see a bit of a fibre loom and hear a little creaking from the carbon flex, I just bog over the cracks with asbestos. It works a treat and you can sand it down nice and flush. Then a quick squirt of paint and market it as a custom paint job. Suckers are born every minute.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Sean Spicer's Emmys appearance. He suddenly and immediately redeemed himself.

Good work son. One mark of an intelligent human is the ability to take the piss out of yourself.

Mica

Likes Dirt
GoPro session. Just picked one up as the old waterproof camera died a sad death. This thing is a lot of fun for the small price tag. No interest in having it on the bike but great to have around to catch general chaos of life

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I hope you supplied the evidence of that young man's flagrant disregard for the no diving sign to the management and relevant authorities!

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Its such a good way to make some cash hey? I'll usually keep my eye out for cracked frames. Aluminium, steel, carbon...any of them are an easy fix and bounce, especially carbon! Because buyers are already expecting to see a bit of a fibre loom and hear a little creaking from the carbon flex, I just bog over the cracks with asbestos. It works a treat and you can sand it down nice and flush. Then a quick squirt of paint and market it as a custom paint job. Suckers are born every minute.
Should have seen that coming. For the record I don't flip anything I wouldn't feel safe riding, plenty I wouldn't be seen riding though

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
The other week one of my external back-up drives stopped responding.

Oh shit I thought....
It only had about 15 years of photos & videos on it from back when I was an international man of mystery. Plus some other shit I must have deemed worthy of backing-up.

Local computer tech store was not optimistic when I dropped it in for a diagnosis. So I spent the last week mentally preparing to lose all the travel memories while they conducted some geeky surgery on the drive.
I was telling myself it didn't matter, I didn't care about the photos THAT much did I?

Anyway, went back today - all data recovered & will be transferred to new drive later this week!!! LTIL!!!

Minlak

custom titis

Oh shit I thought....
It only had about 15 years of photos & videos on it from back when I was an international man of mystery. Plus some other shit I must have deemed worthy of backing-up.

Local computer tech store was not optimistic when I dropped it in for a diagnosis. So I spent the last week mentally preparing to lose all the travel memories while they conducted some geeky surgery on the drive.
I was telling myself it didn't matter, I didn't care about the photos THAT much did I?

Anyway, went back today - all data recovered & will be transferred to new drive later this week!!! LTIL!!!
You got lucky I have clients that have spent several thousands of dollars to get retrieved.

***This is not targeted at you just information in general***

For the last 20yrs (ish) I have worked in the mobile phone industry and then the IT industry. This is my trigger "Backing Up". Backing up something means you have at least 2 copies of it preferably on different media. If you were worried you lost that information and pictures then you don't have a back up you have an ORIGINAL. The second thing is people head on down to office works and buy the cheapest external drive they can with no thought about longevity or quality. Buy a decent drive preferably one that is military rated. Have your stuff on at least 2 drives.
Best practice is a minimum of 2 copies preferably on different media. One copy on CD and One on a Drive or One on a Drive and One on the Cloud. There are so may free options to maintain a cloud back up of your data. Yeah with slow internet the first time you send it all to the cloud could take a while.

My current practice is One on HDD at a friends house and one on HDD at my house and super important stuff on the cloud.

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah

Oh shit I thought....

If those are the only copies you have, that's not a backup.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
You got lucky I have clients that have spent several thousands of dollars to get retrieved.

***This is not targeted at you just information in general***

For the last 20yrs (ish) I have worked in the mobile phone industry and then the IT industry. This is my trigger "Backing Up". Backing up something means you have at least 2 copies of it preferably on different media. If you were worried you lost that information and pictures then you don't have a back up you have an ORIGINAL. The second thing is people head on down to office works and buy the cheapest external drive they can with no thought about longevity or quality. Buy a decent drive preferably one that is military rated. Have your stuff on at least 2 drives.
Best practice is a minimum of 2 copies preferably on different media. One copy on CD and One on a Drive or One on a Drive and One on the Cloud. There are so may free options to maintain a cloud back up of your data. Yeah with slow internet the first time you send it all to the cloud could take a while.

My current practice is One on HDD at a friends house and one on HDD at my house and super important stuff on the cloud.
Yeah I know. You are ranting - but you're absolutely right. And I was aware of the need for two independent copies....just never seem to get the undistracted time to set it all up properly. But I did know better...so I deserve the scare.

I'd say about roughly 60% of the photos & videos were stored on another external drive AND my Mac itself.....and the remaing 40-ish% was exclusively on that cheap office-works drive (yep, that's where I bought it I think...)

The funny thing is, a week before the drive failed, I started syncing a lot of my photos to the Google Photos cloud. It's an easy, straight-forward app as far as I can see. The Apple cloud stuff is a f@cken' nightmare of weird syncing & no control....which is prolly why I had dragged my feet for too long....

Could you please recommend a good brand/manufacturer of external drives? (I wouldn't know the high qual from the cheap shit....but I have seen the light, I will stay away from Harvey-Office-Hi Fi)

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
For those following my hot water saga a few weeks ago...an update. Thank you all for your information. While I greatly appreciate your input I choose to completely ignore it and sell the house. No agents involved (so no cash lost on commission), made a significant above market value sale, cooling off period waved, and am now on the hunt for a new project. Farewell poo hut! This leaves me to deal with one of those things most of us hate, real estate agents.

Spent a bit of time under a nice old house this afternoon trying to work out why the paint and plaster were crumbling and floors were collapsing...crusty stuff everywhere, musky smell, dank air, mould and mildew, piers collapsing, mortar crumbling, rotten floor boards...I'll be guessing that one has a touch of the rising damp. A shame as it has quite a bit of charm.