Little Things You Love

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I have ridden the BMW bike variety and the antidive is stunning after years of riding conventional forks. The rest of it I cannot comment on. Not enough experience.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Other than looks, what do you hate about it?

Sent from my Agora 4G Pro using Tapatalk
Hate is such a strong word. Which direction do you throw your x-ups on it? To the left or the right? I have preferred single crowns on my dh bikes for a very long time, mostly because of this issue.

scblack

Leucocholic
AWD's use a shit load of fuel on the hiway and the 4 cylinders rev their tits off as well.

Soooosh Dale, technically they have't had open speed limits in NT for years.
My Amarok with canopy, roof racks, two bike racks and awning will sit on 110kmh and only use 8l/100km. It’s permanent 4wd.

Flow-Rider

Burner
My Amarok with canopy, roof racks, two bike racks and awning will sit on 110kmh and only use 8l/100km. It’s permanent 4wd.
You drive like a grandma. I own a late model WRX and it's one of the most expensive cars I've owned on fuel and the misses bought the impreza and it's the same. The model after mine has gone to the six speed box, I had an old dunnydore auto and it was more economical than the wrx on the highway. What's even worse on the wrx, it only runs on premium. The dunnydore (V6) sat on 1800rpms in overdrive on the highway and the wrx is well over 2200rpms.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Modern 4bys are amazing on fuel compared with past generations. My Prado which is heavy and high and runs bigger LT off road tyres doesn't have a good engine (D4D) averages 11s overall since new. Including 1,000s of km towing and sand driving and and. Crazy good economy. Well I think so. My GTS averaged over 16. Not sure why, maybe the handbrake was not adjusted properly?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Have you worked out the life span of your head light bulbs?

I used to work with a fellow who'd been an accountant, he was into spreadsheets for everything! I still remember his wrath when he caved to family pressure and installed air con...sitting there knowing one of his daughters would be at home cranking the air con up to 11 and costing $x/hour. He really did enjoy analysing stuff like that.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Have you worked out the life span of your head light bulbs?

I used to work with a fellow who'd been an accountant, he was into spreadsheets for everything! I still remember his wrath when he caved to family pressure and installed air con...sitting there knowing one of his daughters would be at home cranking the air con up to 11 and costing $x/hour. He really did enjoy analysing stuff like that.
I designed my place to not need AC. East West axis, 3m verandah on the North side. Double plus heavy duty insulation in the roof space. Garage and carport on the western wall. West facing walls insulated. Low transmission glazing etc. I installed AC after 3 years...

Flow-Rider

Burner
Modern 4bys are amazing on fuel compared with past generations. My Prado which is heavy and high and runs bigger LT off road tyres doesn't have a good engine (D4D) averages 11s overall since new. Including 1,000s of km towing and sand driving and and. Crazy good economy. Well I think so. My GTS averaged over 16. Not sure why, maybe the handbrake was not adjusted properly?
Handbrake or your foot has a lead weight in it.

I'm talking a 1990 Vn comm to a 2010 wrx, I've even tried to drive on the speed limit. The VN is crap around town but pissed all over the wrx on the highway for fuel consumption. The wrx is 200kg heavier too.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
The LSA is a great motor. Obviously not a technical tour de force like the Miami but for what it is it delivers. Easy to get half a megawatt but the cost is consumption. Tyres, fuel, brakes. In 45,000km it went through three, yes three, full sets of tyres and a set of brakes. Because it was spinning that supercharger all the time the best consumption I ever saw on an extended low stress highway run was 10s. Worst maxed out the instantaneous meter.

BM on the same run sits on 6s. And exceeds in all performance measures when it matters.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
My brother “has a mate” who works in the docks in Melbourne and reckons he can ship his VE HSV GXP (Maloo without the idiot body kit) here.

It will munch autobahns and be a massive head turner! Sounds like a fun plan.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I wanted HSV to throw the GTS on the Nurburgring. Fuel is so cheap over there.

I could have sold my GTS to quite a few Chevy SS guys in the states when I moved it on. They wanted it so badly one guy came over to Oz on holidays and paid a dealership to have a demo for a week.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I wanted HSV to throw the GTS on the Nurburgring. Fuel is so cheap over there.

I could have sold my GTS to quite a few Chevy SS guys in the states when I moved it on. They wanted it so badly one guy came over to Oz on holidays and paid a dealership to have a demo for a week.
If I lived here I reckon a Chevy SS from the states would be the go. German driving certainly agrees with big and fucking fast :)

Although the new C Class wagon with a matte grey wrap and the biturbo V8 and 19 inch pilot sports I just saw was pretty nice as a daily practical option!!

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
You drive like a grandma. I own a late model WRX and it's one of the most expensive cars I've owned on fuel and the misses bought the impreza and it's the same. The model after mine has gone to the six speed box, I had an old dunnydore auto and it was more economical than the wrx on the highway. What's even worse on the wrx, it only runs on premium. The dunnydore (V6) sat on 1800rpms in overdrive on the highway and the wrx is well over 2200rpms.
I had a turbo diesel Forester and it was magic with fuel until you hit an indicated 120kms/hr (110 actual). It had the 6 speed manual but the final drive gear was too low, it would be on full boost by the time you hit 120. I had a previous generation 2.5xt forester before that and it had the same problem. Full boost and torque at 120.

I've now got a Discovery 4 sdv6 with the 8 speed box. A pig on fuel around town but magic on the highway. I should have kept the diesel forester as a second car.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

scblack

Leucocholic
Its a magical device called cruise control. Mines an 8speed box. As Dales says a modern 4WD is a MUCH more efficient vehicle than the older generations.

Like Oddjob, my previous car was a diesel Forester, great car. But be careful with them on the DPF. A neighbour had an identical one too, but was only driving trips of less than 10km a time. They had to replace two DPFs in the 12months I knew them. Make sure with a DPF fitted diesel that you give it regular long runs to burn off the particulates. And they aint cheap pieces of metal.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Can confirm modern efficiency, my BT-50 with big toolbox weighing in at almost 3.5t gets 11L/100k on freeways, and abitmore around town. 2.8 diesel

We don’t talk about my cruisers K’s to $ ratio, it just runs on lpg on the road and is as least expensive as it’ll be.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Its a magical device called cruise control. Mines an 8speed box. As Dales says a modern 4WD is a MUCH more efficient vehicle than the older generations.

Like Oddjob, my previous car was a diesel Forester, great car. But be careful with them on the DPF. A neighbour had an identical one too, but was only driving trips of less than 10km a time. They had to replace two DPFs in the 12months I knew them. Make sure with a DPF fitted diesel that you give it regular long runs to burn off the particulates. And they aint cheap pieces of metal.
Rumour has it that the MY19 Toyotas will have a manual DPF burn switch. I think all the 4by manufacturers have been caught out by the short commute use of the cars.

scblack

Leucocholic
Rumour has it that the MY19 Toyotas will have a manual DPF burn switch. I think all the 4by manufacturers have been caught out by the short commute use of the cars.
I reckon dealers have a lot to answer for too. The Asian couple (neighbours above) did not have a clue what a DPF filter was before they bought their Forester. Plus some self education helps too.

Flow-Rider

Burner

My original point was comparing an awd to a two wheel drive, engine design has changed a lot but cars have also become heavier from the 90s as everything is electrical and they have more options in them.

Like I pointed out, a six cyclider holden was 200kg lighter than a current 4 cycl. I modified the engine on the commodore and drove to Sydney from Brisbane and got close to 800kms from 63l with 5 people in the car. The old commodores had 3.08 rear diff ratio with a lock up converter on the auto, all the torque in the engine was developed at the lower revs so as long as you didn't floor it every 5 minutes they were very economical on the high way and your're only driving the inertia of 2 rear wheals not 4.

scblack

Leucocholic
My original point was comparing an awd to a two wheel drive, engine design has changed a lot but cars have also become heavier from the 90s as everything is electrical and they have more options in them.

Like I pointed out, a six cyclider holden was 200kg lighter than a current 4 cycl. I modified the engine on the commodore and drove to Sydney from Brisbane and got close to 800kms from 63l with 5 people in the car. The old commodores had 3.08 rear diff ratio with a lock up converter on the auto, all the torque in the engine was developed at the lower revs so as long as you didn't floor it every 5 minutes they were very economical on the high way and your're only driving the inertia of 2 rear wheals not 4.
To a large extent, no matter if you have the smallest engine or biggest; if you are lugging a bigger car around, its going to use more fuel, if all else is the same conditions.

So the Crummydore weighed less, had higher top gearing, less highly strung and 2wd so less driving parts. As long as it was driven sensibly it should have better economy than a nicely boosted WRX.

I remember a Top Gear test where they had a Prius versus a BMW M3. The M3 followed the Prius around the TopGear track, driving the Prius hard, and the M3 had comfortably better fuel economy than the Prius. Point they made was it matters as much HOW you drive as to what you drive.

Flow-Rider

Burner
So the Crummydore weighed less, had higher top gearing, less highly strung and 2wd so less driving parts. As long as it was driven sensibly it should have better economy than a nicely boosted WRX..
On the highway yes, don't forget all the extra stuff that turns on an awd drive car and the faster it goes the worse it gets. Most awd cars also have viscous couplings that slips the drive between front and rear, so you are losing 1:1 drive. You're also loading up the electrics with new cars with bigger alternators to drive. Another thing with boosted cars is that they're normally run richer as a safe guard because they're more prone to running lean and damaging the engine when something goes wrong like dirty fuel injectors, they just dump excess fuel in when you accelerate hard. I can remember people just crying to Toyota about the 2003 land cruisers not having manual hubs and being fuel guzzlers with the constant 4wd.