Little Things You Love

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I don't think I would even make it to 'weakest elite athlete I've seen this year'. The coach would be like 'fattest shitty amatuer I've seen this life. Eat Adderall for six months and then come back.'

I loved the bullshit peak power numbers they got on the road bikes. Stages are known for being shit and most right handed people are also right leg dominant which means that your left leg is usually stronger. Guess which side Stages measures and then doubles.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

scblack

Leucocholic
I don't think I would even make it to 'weakest elite athlete I've seen this year'. The coach would be like 'fattest shitty amatuer I've seen this life. Eat Adderall for six months and then come back.'

I loved the bullshit peak power numbers they got on the road bikes. Stages are known for being shit and most right handed people are also right leg dominant which means that your left leg is usually stronger. Guess which side Stages measures and then doubles.

Haha, as an athlete, you make a good economist!

I make a good beancounter…..

Flow-Rider

Burner
It might mean one bloke has better fast twitch muscles than the other. I can out sprint most people I've ridden with in a 100m but over 500m I would have long before dropped dead.

Oddjob

It might mean one bloke has better fast twitch muscles than the other. I can out sprint most people I've ridden with in a 100m but over 500m I would have long before dropped dead.
But it also might mean that one person has a greater imbalance between left and right. That's the problem with one side only power meters.

Oddjob

That might be plausible no doubt, I don't think they make MTB powertap peddles only in roadies.
Rotor and SRM make dual sided mtb power meters. The RF/Easton, Quarq and Powertap hub is a total power meter so still better than the single sided Stages.

If your not riding regularly with a dual sided powermeter I think you could be surprised by the level of imbalance. When I first got my Pioneer on the roadie I was regularly 15% unbalanced side to side for the same percieved effort. I'm now within 3% on most commutes, through training and resetting my own perception of effort.

Oddjob

@Oddjob what kind of hazards does the imbalance present to the uninformed among us?
For me it meant that I had a rooted knee that took ages (years) to fix. I managed to find a really good physio who gave me good functional exercises and stretches. The powermeter then allowed me to keep the balance between legs on my commute which is my main cardio exercise.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
So uneven muscle development and follow on issues be the case? I know I'm not going to get a power metre, but I am very sure I have an imbalance! I notice it while sprinting the bike into jumps and out of corners etc.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Rotor and SRM make dual sided mtb power meters. The RF/Easton, Quarq and Powertap hub is a total power meter so still better than the single sided Stages.

If your not riding regularly with a dual sided powermeter I think you could be surprised by the level of imbalance. When I first got my Pioneer on the roadie I was regularly 15% unbalanced side to side for the same percieved effort. I'm now within 3% on most commutes, through Itraining and resetting my own perception of effort.

I've never looked into those other brands but I don't think I'd bother with the hub as with the pedals you can easily change to what ever bike you want. When I spin in a tall gear on the trainer for a long time, I find a weak leg as I get tired and you can tell by the noise of the trainer.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
So uneven muscle development and follow on issues be the case? I know I'm not going to get a power metre, but I am very sure I have an imbalance! I notice it while sprinting the bike into jumps and out of corners etc.
Me too. I've had a less than optimal right knee since forever. Last time I saw a physio she pointed out the apparently obvious size difference between the two calf muscles. Probably why my hips aren't awesome too.

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Come on down grammar Nazis.

A Conversation piece on the the age old argument between ''aitch'' or ''haitch'' led me to this vid. As a one-eyed ''aitch'' supporter it worked for me. I particularly like the title.

Me too. I've had a less than optimal right knee since forever. Last time I saw a physio she pointed out the apparently obvious size difference between the two calf muscles. Probably why my hips aren't awesome too.
when I did the indoor training there were single leg drills (clipless) that really showed up the reliance on one leg.

I'm currently stretching a lot (every nite), my left side doesn't even seem to belong to the same body compared to my right