Little Things You Love

Jpez

Down on the left!
So they tell me. Practice just sounds like hard work.
He’s getting pretty comfy looking. On a small jump like that, I don’t have enough time to think, let alone do tricks.
http://instagr.am/p/CFD4_dohswD/
That Strava image shows how great riders get so good. They do what they do over and over and over again until it looks effortless. Maybe natural talent as well and amazing support from parents.
Me, I love the idea of sessioning something and always say I will and maybe do one or two times which is never really enough but I just end up bombing down as fast as I can for kicks and only improve incrementally by accident.

moorey

call me Mia
Same. Practice/persistence has never been my strong point.
I personally don’t believe there’s really such a thing as natural talent. You may be physically advantaged, but it means nothing without applying the work. Some people seem to learn faster than others...but again probably more about how you apply yoreself.
I can personally see that with the kids I’ve worked with over the years, the ones doing well on the bikes are the ones doing the hard yards. They’re definitely from mixed physiques, and it hasn’t factored much.
Yes, parents/guardians/mentors play a huge roll too. I don’t mean buying the best gear, but enabling their kids. It’s a fine line though. The ones who seemed pressured struggle more to maintain the passion/dedication as they enter teen years and beyond.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Same. Practice/persistence has never been my strong point.
I personally don’t believe there’s really such a thing as natural talent. You may be physically advantaged, but it means nothing without applying the work. Some people seem to learn faster than others...but again probably more about how you apply yoreself.
I can personally see that with the kids I’ve worked with over the years, the ones doing well on the bikes are the ones doing the hard yards. They’re definitely from mixed physiques, and it hasn’t factored much.
Yes, parents/guardians/mentors play a huge roll too. I don’t mean buying the best gear, but enabling their kids. It’s a fine line though. The ones who seemed pressured struggle more to maintain the passion/dedication as they enter teen years and beyond.
Totally agree with all of that but I do think some people have a natural talent for things wether it’s artistic or sport or whatever.
Had plenty of apprentices that were decent tradesmen but you’d occasionally get one that was exceptional from the get go. They could just turn their hand to whatever it was with a natural skill. A hand for tools. Welding well really shows the people that have a natural hand for tools. Turning out a perfect weld is incredibly difficult and takes years of practice. Some buggers just seem to have the knack in no time.
Sure practice and a a drive to be good or get better goes a long long way but sometimes you just got it. My5 year old loves art. I’m biased and think she’s great but one of her classmates is incredible. Her parents really do no more than supply her with pencils and art supplies and she produces stuff you’d expect from a much older child.
I believe she has a natural talent. but you’re right, there are a lot of factors that go into someone being great at something.

Last edited:

Jpez

Down on the left!
Fair point. I guess I just hate seeing people who bust their guts being told they are lucky or talented. It often unintentionally dismisses the hard work and determination that goes unseen.
Totally agree.
part of the reason why I love watching behind the scenes videos of Semenuk, Wibner, macAskill or someone doing the same trick a million times. Falling on their head over and over until they eventually get that one perfect take.
The punter sees the final product and is mind blown but has no idea usually that that short edit had months of planning and blood sweat and tears involved. And that short edit gives the impression they have a Dog given natural talent. Maybe they do! But yeah a shit ton of hard work goes into it.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Being able to laugh at myself. Upon intial inspection I thought
"Why would anyone buy a face mask that had been used for 200hrs!!!!"

Attachments