Liv tempt fork upgrade help for the missus

tobbogonist

a registered member
So earlier this year my partner bought a Liv Tempt 3.
As she uses a bike for work (riding with clients) a large part of it was tax deductable. I couldn't convince her to spend any more and we had to buy new through a retailer.
We ride together on fire trails and I'm pushing her a little to get on some singletrack.
Problem is the fork is heavy and rubbish and I am looking at some upgrades.
I have an old reba and a slightly newer recon lying around but both are tapered 29 and 15x100. Bike is 27 with QR axle and straight steerer.
Trying to workout the best way to upgrade, I could lace a new hub to her 27 rim (havn't built a wheel in over 10 years) with one of those external headset jobbies, or go a whole new fork. I dont know if the 29 fork is going to make much of a difference on the 27 frame. Im up for any suggestions. Doesnt need to be burly as at the moment we dismount to walk down a curb, although she has ridden down the equivilent drop on a firetrail with no problems at all.
I dont want to go overboard as im planning to go new proper mtb in a year or so if she starts to feel more comfortable offroad, either that or she doesnt get bitten by the mtb bug and has something comfortable for everyday riding/I continue shredding on my own and no one finds out how many times I nearly break a collorbone when I ride.
She rides the bike everywhere as she doesn't have a license so I would need to be able to smash the upgrade out in an evening otherwise I would be loaning my beast for commuting. Any suggestions welcome and a big thankyou in advance.
Bike stats are below, i've upgraded a few parts already from what i had lying round.
FrameALUXX grade aluminium
ForkSuntour XCT 30 HLO, w/lockout, 100mm travel
ShockN/A
HandlebarGiant Connect, trail rise, 31.8mm
StemGiant Sport, 7 degree
SeatpostGiant Sport alloy 30.9mm
SaddleLiv Sport
PedalsPlatform
ShiftersShimano M315, 16sp
Front DerailleurShimano M282
Rear DerailleurShimano Acera
BrakesTektro HDM276 hydraulic disc, 160mm
Brake LeversTektro HDM276 hydraulic
CassetteShimano HG200, 12-32T, 8sp
ChainKMC Z8
CranksetProwheel, 22-36T
Bottom BracketSealed
RimsGiant alloy, disc
HubsAlloy disc, 32H
SpokesStainless steel, 14g
TiresMaxxis Ikon 27.5x2.2’’

moorey

call me Mia
A 26” fox fork will fit the 27.5 wheel with up to 2.3 tyre (only fox). A nice air fork would be sweet. You will struggle to find a decent QR, straight steerer 27.5 fork.

tobbogonist

a registered member
Thanks for the responses. Maybe a Manitou fork will do the job.
These don't look to shabby.
Would love to go down the route of finding some old fox forks and giving them a good service though.
Anything is going to be an improvment on the current forks though. She road my old hardtail for a while and loved the rebas but they wont fit. Unfortuntely the bike was a bit big for her and she needed a bike asap so i couldnt go down the route of building something up.