Living out of town

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
Trying to convince the wife that life would be more enjoyable if we were to move out of town onto some land. We built our house about 4 years ago and as nice as it is, I am ready for a little more wide open space and have the quietness of no neighbours. Most of our neighbours are o.k, (one is a rental and can get annoying at times). Also a bit of land for the kids to run free range has to be good!

Where we currently live is convenient for the kids, as they can walk to school but apart from that there is nothing else that we need to be in town for.

A property that is on the market (that we both like) is about 5km out of town and the school bus goes directly past the front gate.

Really, the only thing that is holding us back is that the wife is just not convinced it is a good idea and is overwhelmed by the concept. I am certain she would love it if it was to happen. She would not be at home lonely by herself as I work from home full time.

Would like to hear from those that have re-located and how it has panned out...

OCD'R

Likes Dirt
Do it! Use all you persuasive powers. We moved from inner city to 160kms away with no neighbours, on 4 acres next door to a national park. Life is better in nearly all aspects. Sure, there isn't the convenience of shops/services close by (15kms out of town), I don't miss the fact I can't go down to Bunnings to grab a pack of screws.

Wifey was the same, very reluctant but is now very happy and can't stand the 'race' in town.

Just remember what Tom waits "sung"

" there's nothing strange about an axe with bloodstains in the barn
Coz there's always some killin to do around the farm."

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Any chance of doing both, best of both worlds.

We live smack bang inner city and have a bit of a farmlet- 2 hours away. Mrs was very reluctant to even buy away, now she's talking about moving there full time now the kids are a bit older (2&4)

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
You would be mad not to move . I did it 35 years ago, nearest neighbour 2km away.
With cars,bikes, mobile phones , the internet you would not be isolated.
Your wife would probably love it.

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
As a teenager it really sucked balls. Friends, particularly girls, were always a long way away and you either needed to spend all day walking of convince your folks they could drop you off. Then there was always something extra to do...so much more lawn or fence to check or animal to feed or clean, don't shower too long its tank water! Long commute to school. Sure there was good things too, GI Joe never had such a comprehensive tunnel/trench network, there was a good cricket football space, and some people were lucky enough to have paddock bashers...

limeyfingers

Likes Dirt
Your wife will never forgive you.
This bloke knows what he is talking about, unless you have an exceptional missus don't do it. There are a lot of single blokes out here that originally showed up with girlfrien/ wife. I don't get you city dwellers, who wouldn't like long drop toilets, no hot showers when there is no sun, no power when the sun don't shine, free herb, pretty glorious really

oriion

Likes Dirt
We're on 10 acres, 8 minutes from town.

Best thing we ever did. ever..

The concept of a big move is daunting, but once you are in. you can settle yourselves.

stirk

Burner
More mice in the country, do it.

You'd get to drive a ride on mower or tractor, another reason to do it.

And you can grow those herbs you've always wanted to grow.

Three good reasons there.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
More mice in the country, do it.

You'd get to drive a ride on mower or tractor, another reason to do it.

And you can grow those herbs you've always wanted to grow.

Three good reasons there.
And you can hang the washing out in the yard naked. I do it in town still but the old lady next door keeps coming to the window in her bloomers. And I like it....

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
And you can hang the washing out in the yard naked. I do it in town still but the old lady next door keeps coming to the window in her bloomers. And I like it....
Or just do everything naked and forgo the need to do washing.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I have the same issue, but with a young hipster couple. Who gives a fuck about clothes? They're doing a renno (as all good hipsters must do) and will soon have all their living space at the back of the house facing my living space...where I am constantly nude. Recently the follow haunt over the fence and engaged in what was an awkward chat for him! Luckily I was wearing boxers and thongs at the time...he wants to erect a small screen along the top of the fence for privacy. Took him a lot of words to just come out with it!

DMan

I have the same issue, but with a young hipster couple. Who gives a fuck about clothes? They're doing a renno (as all good hipsters must do) and will soon have all their living space at the back of the house facing my living space...where I am constantly nude. Recently the follow haunt over the fence and engaged in what was an awkward chat for him! Luckily I was wearing boxers and thongs at the time...he wants to erect a small screen along the top of the fence for privacy. Took him a lot of words to just come out with it!
Probably because he actually doesn't want to put it up............
I thought hipsters would be into nudism? Or is that just paleo hipsters...?

scblack

Leucocholic
Probably because he actually doesn't want to put it up............
I thought hipsters would be into nudism? Or is that just paleo hipsters...?
For hipsters nudism would show up the "trendy" beard a bit too much. A beard on a guy with minimal body hair would stand out like the proverbial.

DMan

For hipsters nudism would show up the "trendy" beard a bit too much. A beard on a guy with minimal body hair would stand out like the proverbial.
Good point. And they'd probably be quite white and insipid looking due to not getting enough vitamin D from the sun. I'd put the extra fence up myself Poodle now I think about it....

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
I'm old skool. My beard can only be spotted whilst naked.