local shire trail enquiry's

hey guys after much time spent reading CROC's website i have consider the option that it may be viable for us to get together as a big group and go to council to see about getting some ligitimate trails for us to ride in all that bush behind sutho/loftus/yarrawarrah/engadine down to woronora and the heights. if anyone is interested in setting up a group i believe we may be able to get enough numbers to really make an impact.
cheers Brent

CCC

Likes Dirt
Shire trails

IF your truly interested in building trails in these areas you should hook up with the crew that is rebuilding the RNP trail.These guys have all the contacts you"ll need. sutho council is not the most open minded when it comes to MTBs.

alright does anyone have some numbers to the guys who are doing the RNP??? i can get some with the council and i know a local member which might help. we will need to get a fair few people together but!

shore_2

Likes Dirt
I would be interested in getting on the ban wagon. I don't think national parks are going to be any good though, too much red tape and at the end of it i don't think u will end up with anything worth riding anyways as it will cause erosion scare the wildlife etc.
I would definetely be interested in getting a petition together for a place like lucas heights or something with less red tape to get something like a MTB park or something going.

Bazil_1

Likes Dirt
There's some stuff across the road from the RNP in the Heathcote National Park. I've been on a couple of walking tracks (whoops) that are pretty tight and with a bit of maitenence would be great MTB single track.

Gekigengar

Likes Dirt
i wouldnt mind taking part dispite i dont even live in the shire but hey nice to have some good tracks sorta... close..

dcrofty

Eats Squid
Loftus Area MTB

Hi All,
I think I should comment that most of the land that you mention here is Unalienated Crown and therefore not under the management of Sutherland Shire Council. Therefore you will find that council will probably refer you to the NSW state government (specifically the Department of Lands) as they are the land owner and manager. Their office is in Parramatta if you want to look it up.
I have long thought that this area would make a great place for trails. National parks are poor places to try and get trails as the legislation that they operate under places conservation well above any other priorities such as providing for recreation. Crown land is much more suited to MTB.

PM me if you want more info on this stuff. I work for the council in the tree hugging hipie section and would be interested in establishing some proper sustainable trails in the Loftus valley.

pm'd u man would love to get in touch and try to sort something out for that valley, we could build some awsome tracks through there. even better ones if they are legit

dcrofty

Eats Squid
loftus valley

No worries mate.

Give me a few days to grab some stuff from work and I'll get back to you.

IF you don't hear from me by the end of next week pester me so that I don't forget.

alright guys, time to start organising details. i want to pull together a group of people to start a somewhat "southern sydney trails group" or something similar. what i will need at the moment is some number of people willing to help me out with this. pm if you think you can help out in the development. or if you are interested in general, let me know, im thinking about trails in the general area of sutherland to waterfall area atm, most of which will be crown land. and then extending from there if the progress persists, pm me and let me know

Dumbellina

Likes Dirt
Typing "Royal National Park" into the Farkin search engine will tell you all there is to know about the Royal volunteer trail program.

The Royal MTB reference group has been looking at alternatives and the Crown land at Loftus has been identified as a potential site. However, in the mean time Lucas Heights is the place for free-ride and XC and the open trail network in the National Park is the place for XC.

PM me for more information, otherwise keep an eye out on Farkin and 26 inches.

However if you are planning on trail construction. Don't do it in the Park, the National Parks Association (the thorn in oursides) is already on our case about bikes on closed trails and illegal trail building.

If you are keen to move a shovel, join the volunteer program at the Royal (or hook up with some trail builders out there in Lucas Heights).

drewivison

Likes Bikes
I am interested.

We have some good dh trails that way already + many ppl from the hieghts ride bikes too. if you need ppl to help, out count me in and i am sure i can round up at least ten more people. ummmmm.. if you just want to see some of the trails in the area, email me.

thanks

thanks for the info, but at the moment as keen as i am i can not go out to those areas as much as i would like (no efficient transport), i would love to help with building and so forth but as you can understand at the moment its a bit pointless. as for the royal natio park, after talking to them when i first got into riding and hearing about their wonderful "you go off these tracks we will fine you 3 grand" i decided to never go back! so yes, what i am looking for now is the approval for crown land in the loftus valley. which would suit me and a lot of other people i know. i am going to have a descussion with a local member soon and discuss some possible options for the approach. will let you know how i go!