Lock-ons stuck on..how to remove??

RangaRMX

Likes Dirt
Ok, so a while ago my bikes rear Maxle died, so I had to ride my XC bike for a while, thing is it's grips decided to start to melt and fuse my gloves; time for some new grips..enter the lock-ons from my dualy.

Today, after 2 weeks of no fun bike, I got my new maxle, and installed it, checked all the bearings and shock pivots and added some grease where required, cleaned the chain and put then time to put the grips back on..but the grips were stuck, two allen bolts were fine, one on each grip. Typical:rolleyes: the other two were busted, well they were after I rounded out my (already suss) hex key trying to pry them loose. So one of the rounded bolts was on the inside of the grip, the other on the outside.
The one on the outside was easy enough as I just gave it some fierce bashing with a block of wood against the inside and a hammer beating it off. Took about 2 minutes. The rounded bolt on the inside of the other grip was not so easy.
This was a bastard. I tried drilling, hitting, using pipe wrench, more hitting, drinking, more hitting, more hitting and finally more hitting. It was off, and about an hour had passed and had worked up a nice sweat.

So what I'm wondering is, obviously this has happened to heaps of people, but how the hell do you remove the grips other than with a lot of beating as I did?:confused:

I've installed them on my other bike, the rounded bolts on the outside, gave it a tap to get them onto the bars, and loosely tightened (not loooose) the inside bolts so I have a better chance of removing them next time..

Does anyone know of a lock on that doesn't get stuck on perhaps too? I'm using lizard skins which I reckon rock, but really didn't want to have to wait another day to ride and don't think the money spent is really required for my other bike to tell you the truth.

v1llage1d1ot

Likes Dirt
I've found when using ODI lock-ons, it's best to put a little bit of blue locktite on the threads of each screw before you tighten them. Also, I only tighten them using the shorter part of the allen key (if that makes sense) it will allow you to do them up tight enough that they won't move, but you can't so too much force that you strip the threads.

DJman

Likes Dirt
i have been told by my lbs (havnt needed to put it in action yet) to get a cheap set of allen key and get the 2.5mm and locktight it in the bolt head and leave it over night so the allen key will be stuck. and it will just undo after th at.
although I usually find a set of old grips make sure there is a lockjaw and i good bolt and then i will just cut the lockjaw with a hacksaw