L'officiel Le Tour 2009 Thread!

ebuk

Likes Dirt
Cadel looks like he uses Ulrich's gearing. Just seemed when he attacked that he was pushing a bigger gear with the others all 'dancing on the pedals'.

Anyone know who Liggett is calling the race for? When we get the long Paul Sherwin commentary periods you can often hear Phil in the background calling.

Dene Dweller

Likes Dirt
I fell asleep at the start of the final climb last night and woke up just as they finished, still sooking today :(. Can't wait for the penultimate stage up Ventoux, can easily be won or lost on the final stage.

Astana look way too strong tough, my heart aches for Cadel, I'd love to see him take it out but it won't be this year. My head says last year was his best chance, heart still maintains hope.

Bodin

GMBC
Short term memory going Bodin?... 2006 Oscar Pereiro.

But for the time before that you have to go all the way back to Lucien Aimar in 1966, and then...

1960 - Gastone Nencini
1956 - Roger Walkowiak
1922 - Firmin Lambot
Yes, my short term memory IS going :eek: and fair enough about Pereiro, but when it's only 5 times in just shy of a century, I reckon my point stands. Cadel can not win this race. Even if he had a good team, he'd still never be able to ride strong climbers off his wheel on a climb and that's inevitably where the tour is won.

Lanky Love

Likes Dirt
Think i need a change of pants Declan :rolleyes:

I think once they knew Lance wasn't going to get the yellow jersey they let Contador do what he wanted.

I dont know what Cadel is thinking attacking on a hill top finish, he needs to stop trying to race like the others (who are real climbers) and play on others weakness'. His attacks looked really week and the only person who looked like they were in pain was Cadel.

Lance looked strong, but not as good as Contador and even Schleck. He will do really well, but he doesn't have a victory in him racing against such a strong field.

Great first stage in the mountains, can't wait for more.

Morgan123

Likes Dirt
Contador's insane uphill acceleration reminded me of the way Rasmussen was riding a couple of years ago (or was it last year?) when he realised he needed to leave the tour halfway through the race, even though he was wearing the yellow jersey. :rolleyes:
Yeh no shit, as soon as he flew past the silence lotto rider I immediately thought of Rasmussen. Lets hope it doesn't turn out like that.

akashra

Eats Squid
What was with Lance looking over at Contador constantly while Evans was attacking? Was he actually saying something to him (if so, it looked like Contador was ignoring him), or was he trying to sus out Contador in the least subtle way?

black4tress

Likes Dirt
Contador is a loaded gun currently going off. He will run out of bullets soon. Lance will win the tour because he knows what it takes to ride for 3 weeks and win x 7.

Cadels has no chance being 3minutes behind leaders. You cannot win a tour on your own and he's team is just not up to scatch.

Bodin

GMBC
Contador is a loaded gun currently going off. He will run out of bullets soon. Lance will win the tour because he knows what it takes to ride for 3 weeks and win x 7.
Tactically, Contador got a massive kick in the pants earlier in the year when he allowed himself to hunger flat and lose a major stage race, so I can't see him making any mistakes like that again. Added to that, he has won the last 3 grand tours he's ridden in (he's the only current rider to have won the TDF, Giro and Vuelta - not even Lance has done that!) and Lance is about 15 years older than him and won't get any younger as the race wears on, so I'd have to disagree with you.

I think Contador's only going to get stronger and the only thing between him and a second TDF is a failed doping test and I sincerely hope that doesn't happen.

akashra

Eats Squid
Oooh - to answer my own question, Contador doesn't speak English, so it's unlikely Lance was talking to him. Therefore in light of that, it definitely looked like Lance and Contador were riding against each other.

Bodin

GMBC
Arrrrrgh!!!

See? This is exactly what we're all complaining about with Cadel and his (lack of a) team!

He's out there trying to make a break over Astana, busting a gut, and there isn't a single team mate up there with him, sacrificing himself on the first climb of the day. It's a complete disgrace on the management of the Silence Lotto team. They need to take responsibility for relentlessly letting Cadel sacrifice himself on his own.

There should be another Silence Lotto rider up there whose sole purpose for the entire stage is to drag Cadel up this first climb. So frustrating!

climbo

Likes Dirt
yep, farkin annoying, he has to go alone which is VERY unlikely to succeed. Nobody else will help from other teams either. :mad:

Bodin

GMBC
yep, farkin annoying, he has to go alone which is VERY unlikely to succeed. Nobody else will help from other teams either. :mad:
Cancellara's with him now. If those two team up I will cry tears of relief and joy.

EDIT: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! SBS2 transmission just got interrupted!!! BAD BAD TIMING!

Bodin

GMBC
Cancellara's with him now. If those two team up I will cry tears of relief and joy.
Well - I'm getting an education here. Cancellara is getting all agro and telling Cadel to f*** off back to the peloton because he's the reason the peloton are chasing the breakaway.

Cadel has no friends and isn't about to make any. This is so frustrating it's actually getting hard to watch. :(

Spanky_Ham

Porcinus Slappius
Cadel has no friends and isn't about to make any. This is so frustrating it's actually getting hard to watch. :(
spanky's wondering where the hell is 'team' silence lotto... there must be others! The commentators keep referring to the 'team' cadel is from... team indicates more than one...

they must have stealth technology...

either that or they hate cadel too...

actually hating cadel is kinda catchy... all the cool lycra wearing kids do.

s

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
Well - I'm getting an education here. Cancellara is getting all agro and telling Cadel to f*** off back to the peloton because he's the reason the peloton are chasing the breakaway.

I know, I know! Poor Cadel! It KILLS me to watch this bullshit on tv! :(

My wife says they should do it like professional ice-hockey teams in the NHL... teams should have members whose sole purpose is to go and try to take out the stars of the other teams, like a deftly laid punch at an opportune time... Of course, this would mean that teams would need to hire bodyguards/enforcers of their own to protect their riders then...
And then we'd have fights between opposing team's hired thugs....
And NO radios!!!! So says Penny.