Long live nine speed

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Had I found out about that a week earlier, I may have been tempted to go that over an 11 speed upgrade.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This is great news!!!! I am currently running a 9 speed 1x 11-40 non clutched set up and it is pretty good for 90% of the climbs I do. I have dropped a few chains but only in really rough stuff when I am not pedalling. The 42 will make it that bit nicer. I really don't notice the extra gears on my Hart Tail running 1x11.

Pink Bike review here

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Great stuff. Microshift will also be looking really attractive once Shimano's geo-blocking catches up with zee Germans. I'm waiting to hear reviews on their XCD 11 speed gear which looks the goods,

Flow-Rider

Burner
Great stuff. Microshift will also be looking really attractive once Shimano's geo-blocking catches up with zee Germans. I'm waiting to hear reviews on their XCD 11 speed gear which looks the goods,
I used Microshift thumb shifters in 8 speed years ago and they worked very well.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Wow this is awesome?

What do you guys rekon landed in Aus would be, and where do I find it to buy?

Last edited:

danton45

Likes Bikes
I was just in the garage looking at my "rain bike". The chain is really worn and the rest of the drivetrain is pretty messed up. It's also a has 3x at the front. I actually only need a 1x as this would be a commuter for wet days. So I was considering options to upgrade the groupset ( this would also be a good learning experience/challenge for me as I normally pay people to fix me bike). If I bought this groupset above would there be any traps or "gotchas" ie issues with bottom bracket incompatible or anything else? Bike is a Steel Jamis Dragon Comp running 9 speed running Deore XT

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
danton 45 cant imagine any problems ,
Great idea most of our bikes are 9 speed.
I was about to build an 11-40 9 speed cassette for fun from older parts + a cheap 40 extender cog.
I bought 4 stainless 25mm B screws[ M4 fine ]to use on older shadow derailleurs.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
That's awesome. See other thread about what happens to Australian buying habits with Shimano and SRAM geoblocking!!

I'm putting 10 speed Microshift kit on the Soma Mixte I'm about to start building up for the missus - I'm keen to see how they perform!

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I'm putting 10 speed Microshift kit on the Soma Mixte I'm about to start building up for the missus - I'm keen to see how they perform!
This microshift stuff is new to me, but I didn't realise they had so many products. Is there like a quick wiki page or something to get the low down on what works with what and stuff?

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
This microshift stuff is new to me, but I didn't realise they had so many products. Is there like a quick wiki page or something to get the low down on what works with what and stuff?
In the comments of the article someone posted the cable pull ratios;

From artscyclery:
———————-
Shimano 10 Road 2.3
Shimano 9 2.5
Campagnolo 11 2.6
Shimano 11 Road 2.7
Campagnolo 10 2.8
Shimano 8 2.8
Shimano 7 2.9
Campagnolo new 9 3
SRAM (Exact Actuation) 10 Road/Mountain 3.1
SRAM (Exact Actuation) 11 Road 3.1
Campagnolo old 9 3.2
Shimano 6 3.2
Shimano 10 Mountain 3.4
SRAM (X-Actuation) 11 Mountain 3.48
Campagnolo 8 3.5
Shimano 11 Mountain 3.6
SRAM (1:1) 9 Mountain 4
SRAM (1:1) 8 Mountain 4.3
SRAM (1:1) 7 Mountain 4.5

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
In the comments of the article someone posted the cable pull ratios;

From artscyclery:
———————-
Shimano 10 Road 2.3
Shimano 9 2.5
Campagnolo 11 2.6
Shimano 11 Road 2.7
Campagnolo 10 2.8
Shimano 8 2.8
Shimano 7 2.9
Campagnolo new 9 3
SRAM (Exact Actuation) 10 Road/Mountain 3.1
SRAM (Exact Actuation) 11 Road 3.1
Campagnolo old 9 3.2
Shimano 6 3.2
Shimano 10 Mountain 3.4
SRAM (X-Actuation) 11 Mountain 3.48
Campagnolo 8 3.5
Shimano 11 Mountain 3.6
SRAM (1:1) 9 Mountain 4
SRAM (1:1) 8 Mountain 4.3
SRAM (1:1) 7 Mountain 4.5
Those figures are the cable pull stroke, not ratio! Significant difference!!