Long term bang for buck

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was wondering what things people here have bought, used long term, feel are good value, and make getting out and riding easier.

Here are mine:
  1. Topeak Ratchet Rocket Tool. I use mine all the time and found it so handy and a lot better than allen keys and multitools. I saw they have just updated it and made improvements (more bits, more durable case, extender bit, and torque specific bits, but no chainbreaker). https://www.topeak.com/us/en/products/mini-tools/1076-ratchet-rocket--lite-ntx--(2018)
  2. Thule Proride 591 bike roof racks. Sooooo much easier and saves a lot of time mucking around and taking a bike to pieces and trying to remember which way you turned the bars and had the pedals to get it to fit in the car. Now updated with the 598 which looks like it has a bit better security https://www.thule.com.au/products/bike-carriers/thule-proride-598001-silver-premium/
  3. ESI chunky grips. First thing I replace on a new bike. Feels like I can strangle the bars as hard as I want to hold on for life and have my hands still feel fine at the end http://www.esigrips.com/mtb-grips/chunky-grip
So what are those products you have had that you really rate?

stirk

Burner
Norton Bear 25mm x 50m Super Blue Outdoor Long Life Masking Tape

Not sure how long it's been keeping my rims airtight but it's been a few years and no sign of giving up, long life indeed!

And the best blow job money can buy, the Topeak Joe Blow floor pump, it's smooth as silk and just works, cheap but quality.

Oh, and Aldi shorts/baggies, so much better than 'name' brand shorts that fail and are quadruple the price!

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Oh, and Aldi shorts/baggies, so much better than 'name' brand shorts that fail and are quadruple the price!
I cut my list short but would have also put the aldi shorts (that come with liners) and the aldi front and rear tail lights as they give proper brightness and visibility.

Just reminded me of Mark Webbers new MTB shorts that retail for $265.................

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I cut my list short but would have also put the aldi shorts (that come with liners).
The Aldi shorts are super for the price. I use them always and they just fit well. You can lash out on a new pair each season and still come out in front.

I also give a thumbs up to the Bonty Rapid enduro pack thing. Great for a quick ride. Just don't over pack it.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Norton Bear 25mm x 50m Super Blue Outdoor Long Life Masking Tape
Not sure how long it's been keeping my rims airtight but it's been a few years and no sign of giving up, long life indeed!
Yes!! Who would ever have thought that such perfection would only cost a measly $5??
And the best blow job money can buy, the Topeak Joe Blow floor pump, it's smooth as silk and just works, cheap but quality.
Yes 2!! Plus service bits are fairly readily available.

ianganderton

Likes Dirt
My Park Workstand. Use it all the time, it seems like there is always one of the fleet hanging there on the stand, its currently my commuter as I slowly rebuild it after swapping out the Alfine hub for a 10 speed drive train. Its my second PCS-10 because I made a mistake and sold my first one when I moved to Dubai. Had to by another. Saves a fortune in servicing costs year on year. Most of my tools have earnt their value many times over, building a decent tool kit is a wonderful thing but for working on bikes a good workstand is the base most other things are built on.

Garmin Etrex 30. I use this a lot for navigating new areas be it on foot, in kayak or by bike. Robust unit, works with gloves, takes free maps for the whole world, AA batteries gives lots of options (enloop recharagbles are my top tip).

My XT SPD pedals keep doing the job day in day out no matter how much I smash them into the rocks. I dont know how many years old the set on my current bike are but its quite a few.

My EVOC CC10l pack has been really good value for money. Its a few years old and has done lots and lots of KM on several continents. Carries stuff securely and comfortably.

Our Thule 591's must be at least a decade old and carry our bikes securely for 1000's and 1000's of KM. Tomorrow we are heading to Thredbo again and we dont even give a thought to the security of the bikes on the roof, the racks are so reliable plus easy to use.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
I guess it's the little things that make the diff....?
The first thing I bought after the bike was a Giant branded shock/tyre pump.
I've bought tons & tons of shit since then....but that pump is quality & gets plenty of use.
It does forks & shocks (I am a constant fiddler & tuner)...and it does tyres when I'm away from the 'shop compressor.
The gauge is accurate, clear & removable. It has a bleed-off button for taking tiny amounts off your suspension pressure and it has two separate stages for high/low pressure inflating. Every time I reach for it I think "....fuck that was a good buy".

ianganderton

Likes Dirt
Another one is my Topeak Mountain Morph. Must have brought mine back in 2006 and its still in my pack getting me out of trouble on a regular basis. Even works on a big fat bike tyre

Majin

Likes Dirt
Pro Torque wrench- mines almost 10 Y.O and still is great

PRO Track pump is the same- hasnt mist a beat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bike bits I love and have used for years:
Shimano m530 pedals - under $50 and bulletproof
ESI chunkys
Specialized pure bottles
Schwalbe Hans Dampf tire on the front
Garmin edge 25 - small, functional and your phone remains charged when smashing dem KOMs
Any backpack that is made by Osprey, in particular the raptor 10
Clif Bars
Offset bushings

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Camelbak Lobo. Bought in 2001 following the purchase of my first ever new and “proper” bike. Still in use, never had another one.

Another vote for Aldi shorts. With a special mention for Wiggle DHB Knicks for the roadie.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Time Atac mtb pedals.

I've had the same pair since 1997, never been rebuilt, never needed to be. I've added two more pairs to the fleet to cover everything i ride, including the roadie.

They never clog and have had the same release tension since new.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Bike bits I love and have used for years:
Shimano m530 pedals - under $50 and bulletproof
ESI chunkys
Specialized pure bottles
Schwalbe Hans Dampf tire on the front
Garmin edge 25 - small, functional and your phone remains charged when smashing dem KOMs
Any backpack that is made by Osprey, in particular the raptor 10
Clif Bars
Offset bushings
+1 on that Raptor 10, the 3L bladder gives that extra bit of capacity needed for QLD summers.

My Shimano M089 SPD shoes have proven to be highly durable, and the Syntace 1-25Nm torque wrench is a winner too - great range, 0.1Nm increments, compact.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
I was wondering what things people here have bought, used long term, feel are good value, and make getting out and riding easier.

1. Topeak Ratchet Rocket Tool. I use mine all the time and found it so handy and a lot better than allen keys and multitools. I saw they have just updated it and made improvements (more bits, more durable case, extender bit, and torque specific bits, but no chainbreaker). https://www.topeak.com/us/en/products/mini-tools/1076-ratchet-rocket--lite-ntx--(2018)
  2. y https://www.thule.com.au/products/bike-carriers/thule-proride-598001-silver-premium/
  3. ESI chunky grips. First thing I replace on a new bike. Feels like I can strangle the bars as hard as I want to hold on for life and have my hands still feel fine at the end http://www.esigrips.com/mtb-grips/chunky-grip
So what are those products you have had that you really rate?
Agree on both the topeak ratchet & the chunky's...best buys

teK--

Eats Squid
Topeak digital air pressure gauge. Not only use it for tyres but also air fork. Easy to carry in backpack and release air pressure when the weather warms up during the day causing pressure to increase. Also much more accurate than a shock pump gauge. Might not work on air shock depending how high a pressure you run. So run a coil ;)

teK--

Eats Squid
Pro Torque wrench- mines almost 10 Y.O and still is great

PRO Track pump is the same- hasnt mist a beat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep I have same wrench it is also sold as Lifeline Premium and Xtools, so buy whatever version is cheapest. Has served well for many years and was aveagea 10% undderreading when i calibrated it, so I have a conversion chart

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Time Atac mtb pedals.

I've had the same pair since 1997, never been rebuilt, never needed to be. I've added two more pairs to the fleet to cover everything i ride, including the roadie.

They never clog and have had the same release tension since new.
+1. I've got a set of 20 year ol Alums still kicking around.

Also have a Topeak morph that is doing good service 10 years on.

Hope pro 2/evo hubs. Seemingly everlasting hubs once you get rid of the oem bearings. As a bonus, with boost bikes you can use a conversion kit and get even spokes and much better spoke tension from side to side.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk