Long term bang for buck

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've a black pair of Specialized Enduro shorts and they've been awesome.
Must have had them for about 3 years, still fit and work beautifully and they have not worn out in the saddle area or faded significantly.

Same with my Specialized FOFO shoes. Super comfortable, easy to walk and ride in. They also really support and protect my feet. I'm not a fanboy by any means and have used lots of Shimano shoes too but the kit just works...

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Endura Hummvee shorts is the first that comes to mind.

Had two pairs since 2013, wear them on the bike as well as casually, and to work. Some holes wore in the pockets after about three and a half years from loose change, keys, cards etc, but a small patch up and they're good to go again.

Externally they're still rock solid!

Shredden

Knows his goats
I have a Lezyne floor pump that I got from my former workplace when it closed down. Think it retails for about $200. Would have been used in the shop from about 2012 to 2014 (not flat out, we did have a compressor too), and then I've used it for 4 years since. It's been flawless, would recommend it to anyone.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I got another.
Camelbak Big Chill bottle. Not sure how much colder it keeps drinks but find it so much easier to drink form than the standard drinking bottles.

Z

Zaf

"expect a lifetime of over 100,000km for one of these gearboxes, with no maintenance aside from the occasional cable change and a little lubrication."

Counting the days to begin my clinical trial of that claim, will report on findings.

SR Suntour Durolux fork has been the best bang for buck I've found to date. Best performing fork I've used so far, easily user serviceable (both damper and air spring), costs about 50-60% of what competitors from Rockshox, Fox, DVO, etc cost.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
My XT SPD pedals keep doing the job day in day out no matter how much I smash them into the rocks. I dont know how many years old the set on my current bike are but its quite a few.
I'm still running a set of Shimano SPD's I bought when I first started racing in 1993. They've been decent value.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Another big fan of Hope Pro 2 hubs. Front hub is at least 8 years old. Not even changed the bearings, still smooth and just keeps on going. Have a Pro 2 EVO rear, changed the bearings once (upgraded from pro 2 for more POE) it’s 5-6 years old and just keeps on going. Would love to try some I9’s or Chris Kings but the Hopes are such good value and just keep on going.

My Ibis Mojo SLR, 6 years old this year, solid, dependable and so much fun.

Chris King headset, I actually had no intention of ever getting one and my LBS offered it at a killer price as they could not get the Cane Creek I was after, 6 years old, still so smooth and apart from general cleaning no maintenance needed.

camo71

Likes Dirt
XT brakes have been good , got em around 4 years or so ago never needed bleeding etc , after avids this is very much appreciated.
Also done well with fox ranger shorts lasting stacks of rides over many years , fox gloves still good after 5 or 6 years as well .

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Assos winter jackets. I have one in the cupboard that is 15 years old (Was crashed a week after getting it because of a sudden meeting with a car). After the initial sticker shock, it's worked out to be $20/ year

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
SR Suntour Durolux fork has been the best bang for buck I've found to date. Best performing fork I've used so far, easily user serviceable (both damper and air spring), costs about 50-60% of what competitors from Rockshox, Fox, DVO, etc cost.
Can you please do a writeup on this fork please?

Reactions: Zaf

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
In that case, I'll have to give my very first winter jacket the thumbs up. My Ground Effect Frosty Boy has lasted for eons. The only problem is that it usually gets a bit too warm here to make the most of it.

Z

Zaf

Can you please do a writeup on this fork please?
I'll see if I can free up some time this weekend. I'm installing a new CRConception cartridge in it at the moment after recently doing a coil spring conversion to it (same company). So I might wait until after I've had some tuning time and got that where I like it then do a comparative on it.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Ah yes - I've read that the fork wasn't entirely sorted but sounds like you are reworking it substantially.

I want to hear the full story.

Z

Zaf

Ah yes - I've read that the fork wasn't entirely sorted but sounds like you are reworking it substantially.

I want to hear the full story.
More just as part of a separate experiment than anything to do with trying to get more performance out of the fork.

I'm a sucker for it, read something here and there, send a guy an e-mail asking a few questions about what they're about, find out their a nice person with some sound ideas and great execution of them, throw money their way out of curiosity and support.

I'll be able to get a few more photos of the fork all cleaned tomorrow when I install the new cartridge. Which will probably help with the review, because the user serviceability of the Durolux was a real selling point for me, and it's a joy to work with and on.