Long travel droppers

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
With a new bike coming, I've got room to run a longer dropper post (I'm looking around 175mm).

The main options I'm considering:

OneUp components Dropper - 170mm (looks cheap and simple),
KS Lev Integra (or Ci) - 175mm (seems some can be a bit fussy, possibly can't pick up by seat, etc...)
9Point8 Fall-line - 175mm (looks quality, but exorbitantly expensive)

And before anyone mentions it - BikeYoke's "Revive" feature looks cool but I can't help feeling 160mm will be a bit short for what I want and 185mm will be a bit long for the frame (it'll probably buzz the tyre on the seat at full compression).

I will be the first to admit, I do not treat droppers as kindly as I should as I both frequently move my bike around by lifting it from the seat, and my bike typically gets transported to the trails upside down.

Anyone got any experience/recommendations?

Z

Zaf

I got a Vecnum for my Nicolai and the build quality on it is nuts, also comes as a 200mm.
Also check out YEP components, they look pretty bomproof as well and come in a 185mm option.
E*Thirteen also now have a longer 170mm mechanical, and they are a very robust post and the drop action is the lightest I've ever encountered.

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
I got a Vecnum for my Nicolai and the build quality on it is nuts, also comes as a 200mm.
Also check out YEP components, they look pretty bomproof as well and come in a 185mm option.
E*Thirteen also now have a longer 170mm mechanical, and they are a very robust post and the drop action is the lightest I've ever encountered.
E*Thirteen droppers are the devil.

I'm on the Capra owners FB page (sadly not an owner myself) and the amount of issues they're getting are endless.
Unless the build is different for the 170mm model you speak of?

OneUp dropper looks very bang for buck

beeb

E*Thirteen droppers are the devil.
Any idea if that's referring to or the mechanical ones? I wouldn't have thought there'd be much that can go wrong on the mechanical versions...

Last edited:
Z

Zaf

@tkdbboy I've been running an E*Thirteen 150mm TRS+ on the Slash for 6months now, and it's flawless.

I don't even know what issues you can have with one, there's no hydraulics in it to fail, the locking mechanism is mechanical (even if the spring failed, you could still lift the post and lock it into place...can't do that if a hydraulic unit fails), the lever is well thought out and action light on hand and saddle. It's a little noisy when you sit down on it hard, but that's about it...and the only reason you sit down on it hard is because you're not used to how light it is to actuate compared to everything else on the market.

It's overall length is a little long given the travel on it, and its minimum insert depth is deep. So just make sure you've got enough room to fit it would be the only thing to check.

What's the bike, what's your BB Spindle to seat clamp length? Sure a Bikeyoke 185 won't fit?

beeb

@tkdbboy I've been running an E*Thirteen 150mm TRS+ on the Slash for 6months now, and it's flawless.

I don't even know what issues you can have with one, there's no hydraulics in it to fail, the locking mechanism is mechanical (even if the spring failed, you could still lift the post and lock it into place...can't do that if a hydraulic unit fails), the lever is well thought out and action light on hand and saddle. It's a little noisy when you sit down on it hard, but that's about it...and the only reason you sit down on it hard is because you're not used to how light it is to actuate compared to everything else on the market.

It's overall length is a little long given the travel on it, and its minimum insert depth is deep. So just make sure you've got enough room to fit it would be the only thing to check.

What's the bike, what's your BB Spindle to seat clamp length? Sure a Bikeyoke 185 won't fit?
Just reading some reviews now, it seems like the early models had issues with dirt ingestion jamming them up. Later models have firmer springs and upgraded main seal.

The bike will be a Ibis Ripmo (XL). The BikeYoke dropper would physically fit, but I probably run the dropper a little lower in the bike than most, so the seat might get buzzed by the tyre at full drop/full compression.

To be honest I don't really need/want 185mm travel. I've tried running previous dropper posts lower and I found it an awkward feeling of not being in contact with the bike. It seems I often use my seat as a "lean indicator" against my legs and going too low makes me lose that point of reference. ~175mm is enough to not sack-tap myself if riding in a proper "aggressive" stance, but high enough that I keep that reference point when desired.

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
The most common issue I've seen is (forgive me if I'm not mechanically precise) is the seat mount bracket having some rotational play which causes your seat to have some play in it. The fix is to pull it apart and tighten some hex bolts, nothing too drastic. I was just surprised at how common this issue was coming up in the FB group in less than 1 month of riding (has happened to my mates Capra that I test rode during week 2).
I guess they manufactured the dropper with a bolt too loose? or maybe it loosens under vibration too easily?
Could be a bad batch? Not sure really ... they appear to be pretty straightforward droppers though

Reactions: Zaf
Z

Zaf

It does need a big hex bolt for that top release. But the seatclamp has a grooved release, so it's literally one seatclamp bolt gets undone to expose a huge 12mm Hex (not a super common size that one) at the top which the spring assembly sits against. Unscrew this, apply loctite, snug it up, put saddle back on and tighten seatclamp bolt again.

On the spectrum of dropper issues, it's a minor one, with a simple and well documented fix. And the fix is one of those ones that actually fixes it, will not need addressing again once done correctly (here's looking at you Reverbs!). I dunno, E*Thirteen have been really good about it, same with their cassettes and how they made a creaking noise on some of the early production models. They rolled out a retrofitable fix to clean up the creak and changed the subsequent production models to resolve it.

I'm a fan of the mechanical dropper. Had a KS LEV fail on me, and they just shit the bed entirely when they go. Hell, even my Specialized Command post had an air leak in the main seal for a while, but I could still just grip the saddle between my thighs and pull the post up and lock it into position when the spring had failed. I'm a sucker for them, hence going with the Vecnum now.

Go

Likes Dirt
I recommend the one up. The ability to fine tune the travel is a big plus in my opinion.
Had mine for 2 months. 170mm travel. So far so good.
Time will tell about durability.
Can't be worse than the Sram POS

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
I dont get the long travel bit , maybe everyone is supertall here? Recently bought a 75 mm after looking for a while .
I have 125 mm but my knees hurt pedalling it downhill so never use more than 50mm .
Also the simpler the better = command post.

beeb

I am fairly tall, about 6'2" in the old scale with longish legs for my size. I generally sit to climb and stand (or crouch) to descend. I don't really do much seated pedalling heading downhill unless it's really smooth trails. Long droppers just make getting and staying in a good position on the bike easier for me, as I don't have to worry about the seat smacking me in the bollocks if I'm in an attack position and want to hold that pose riding into choppy rocks or down rock steps or whatnot... It's just a personal preference that works for me.

In terms of simplicity, this shouldn't be too bad hopefully as it's a mechanically actuated post, just with an internally routed cable.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
I dont get the long travel bit , maybe everyone is supertall here? Recently bought a 75 mm after looking for a while .
I have 125 mm but my knees hurt pedalling it downhill so never use more than 50mm.
Also the simpler the better = command post.
Horses for courses. And your not supposed to sit down to pedal when you drop it.

My 185mm bikeyoke is great. I never sit down to pedal when it’s dropped.
Your an xc guy? It makes sense you don’t like em.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
At 6’2”, I’ve never felt like I’ve been restricted by my 160mm Revive, and i don’t notice the drop difference on a more recently acquired 170mm OneUp. The difference in performance I definitely notice. The OneUp is a great dropper for the money, but the Revive is just that much better.

I have no reason to doubt @Zaf’s praise of his Vecnum (never tried one myself), but if price was not a consideration, I would have a Bikeyoke every time.