Project Longer shock stroke

robbieraver

Likes Dirt
Putting together a new bike and noticed that i could sqeaze in another 10mm of travel.

Now before you you respond with dont it for what ever reason, i know there are many good reasons on such and such frames and types of suspension linkages.

Im putting in a longer shock but the same eye to eye but 5mm more stroke.

Who here has done this and what were the positives and negatives..

Eg ,with the slightly longer stroke did you feel the need for a revalve as not needing as much air?

Annddd yes ive messured it and with and without a shock(without air) annd factored in for bump stop travel...

Last edited:

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think it depends on the ratio. If 1:2.5 then a 5mm longer stroke would mean 12.5mm more travel which means damage.

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
My Trance runs perfectly with 200x 57mm stroke giving 156mm travel. I did mess around with volume spacers for right feel but mainly because I swapped from a 2016 Fox DPS to 2016 Fox FloatX.

Also changed fork travel from 140 to 150mm with 2018 Evol shaft.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
I have done it twice . Same as you same eye to eye 5mm longer stroke
Quite OK but it can mean the back tyre hits the frame with a buzz on full compression.
Bottom bracket is slightly higher and seat tube slightly steeper.

The Dude

Wasn't asking to be banned
I have done it twice . Same as you same eye to eye 5mm longer stroke
Quite OK but it can mean the back tyre hits the frame with a buzz on full compression.
Bottom bracket is slightly higher and seat tube slightly steeper.
Nope; same e2e equals same geo except for the last bit of travel (eg 50 to 55mm of stroke)

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Woops you are correct , said same thing last time 6 months ago.
Santa Cruz has slightly longer stroke only = 5mm.
Enduro has longer eye to eye so changed geo.

teK--

Eats Squid
Just be careful of tyre buzz or rear triangle/linkages hitting something. Without seeing the existing frame leverage curve it is hard to say how the extra 10mm of travel will feel. It could be much softer, firmer, or linear compared to the final 10mm that you have currently.

robbieraver

Likes Dirt
Ive checked....there is plenty of clearance as ive said in the original post for 10mm more travel with bump stop and frame compliance on full compression.