Looking at a new Road bike

Warp

Likes Dirt
Hi!

I'm looking at replacing my trusty Giant Defy 1 2013. Actually, just the frame as the rest of the kit has been upgraded so much that the only stock parts are frame/fork/headset.

My shortlist is made by the Giant TCR 3 (buy bike, dress it up with the parts off the Defy) and the Canyon Ultimate CF SL frame (the cheapo carbon offer from Canyon).

Both options are roughly the same price, with the advantage for the Giant to build as a second bike to keep or sell to offset cost.

Use is recreational road riding, normally 50-70kms with few a +100kms ride.

Now the questions...

How lighter can I expect the TCR/Ultimate CF SL frame to be over the alloy Defy?
Ride quality? I would expect the TCR to be rather light to steer. Twitchy?
Is the riding position really different between them? I know the TCR is more aggressive but a lot?

Thanks for any answers. I know it all sounds like first world problems and overthinking it, and you'd be right.
Cheers

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Apparently, a SB66 with skinny tyres and a 120 fork is your best option.

#knuckleswasadrunkenchunt

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Dont know how much $$ you are spending on the new frame but have you thought about a disc roadie ? thru axles and consistent braking of the discs is very nice and may future proof your bike.

andrew9

Likes Dirt
One of the first things I look at when comparing road frames is the headtube length, and then comparing to the current bike fit. I like to have 20mm of spacers as an absolute max. Usually a more race style bike (like a TCR) will require lower handlebars or more spacers, you can cheat with stem angles, but it can then look like a MTB.

The curve (Compact/mid/traditional drop) of your handlebars is a significant factor if you ride in the drops when decending and sprinting, like you're supposed to

Warp

Likes Dirt
Apparently, a SB66 with skinny tyres and a 120 fork is your best option.

#knuckleswasadrunkenchunt
Hahahahaha.... Don't forget 800mm bars!

Dont know how much $$ you are spending on the new frame but have you thought about a disc roadie ? thru axles and consistent braking of the discs is very nice and may future proof your bike.
Both options are around 2k. Actually the Giant comes cheaper.
Problem with disc brakes are (at least) new wheels. I have a set of decent wheels with a powermeter. Then, if you want to go hydros, I need new brifters. I had my share of cable disc brakes 15yrs ago and I'm not willing to go back to them. Then, at the moment more weight. Besides, brakes... any brakes are overkill here in Darwin for road bikes.

One of the first things I look at when comparing road frames is the headtube length, and then comparing to the current bike fit. I like to have 20mm of spacers as an absolute max. Usually a more race style bike (like a TCR) will require lower handlebars or more spacers, you can cheat with stem angles, but it can then look like a MTB.

The curve (Compact/mid/traditional drop) of your handlebars is a significant factor if you ride in the drops when decending and sprinting, like you're supposed to
My current Defy has an stack ~20mm higher than the TCR. I use it with the stem directly on a 15-20mm bearing cap. I would have to add 10-20mm of spacers to the TCR, which is not a bad deal.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
brakes... any brakes are overkill here in Darwin for road bikes.
A mate here, came from Darwin a couple of years ago, I have heard him have a whinge about the lack of elevation.

Anyway, we have another one of our crew looking at a disc roadie after today's little mishap, cooked the brake track on his rear carbon rim descending a well known climb called Cherryville https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRLsbC6lTeQ&feature=youtu.be

We heard a bang like a gun shot, he came walking down the road thinking his tyre had blown out.

Attachments

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm riding a current model TCR advanced pro. Its my first road bike but have found it awesome. Ride quality is fantastic, I have no trouble doing 140k on it in one sitting.
I wouldn't worry about the handling. Your a MTB'er you'll love it as a lively bike. (Maybe overkill in Darwin lol)
I'm only a lightweight but are more than making up for my weight disadvantage on some of the nice technical descents around my area.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Carbon clinchers are a fucked idea!...:doh::doh::doh:

Carbon Tubs on the other hand :amen:
Carbon clinchers are awesome if you have proper brakes (ie not those silly things that clamp the rim...).

If you're not riding professionally, cant imagine you'd want to buy anything without discs... They're just so bloody good - even on the flat.

TCR Pro Disc 1 with hydro discs is about $2.5K, put some Wiggle brand alloy clinchers (decent 1600 gram wheelset) on it for another 300 or so. Job done.

Warp

Likes Dirt
Thanks folks...

I am waiting delivery of a Canyon Ultimate CF SL 7.0. I'm putting my wheels on it and call it a day. Done deal for 2.5k
Better parts spec than the Giant and it was immediately available from Canyon. I can sell the Defy and offset some cost.

I'll refrain myself from discs this time. Yes, I've ridden extensively on them on the MTB for the last 15 years or so (cable, hydros, Magura, Shimano, etc.), but I'm no feeling the love for them on a road bike at the moment.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Thanks folks...

I am waiting delivery of a Canyon Ultimate CF SL 7.0. I'm putting my wheels on it and call it a day. Done deal for 2.5k
Better parts spec than the Giant and it was immediately available from Canyon. I can sell the Defy and offset some cost.

I'll refrain myself from discs this time. Yes, I've ridden extensively on them on the MTB for the last 15 years or so (cable, hydros, Magura, Shimano, etc.), but I'm no feeling the love for them on a road bike at the moment.
Nice bike. The current 105 group is very good too, I run it on my Defy and its been flawless and a joy to use.

As for discs, whatever floats your boat I reckon :) Especially if never seeing any hills... For me though, as a relative newcomer to road riding I could never come to terms with the (to me...) poor brake feel and inconsistent response - getting onto a hydro disc roadie was "ah, thats more like it!

mtb1611

Seymour
Thanks folks...

Nice one. I'm looking at an Ultimate CF SL 9.0 Di2......