Looking for advice on a Hardtrail bike for $800

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I wanted to get into MTB without spending a fortune to make sure I liked it (stupid me). I bought a Fluid Renegade from Anaconda for about $600.

Not going to win any prizes for the flashest bike, but I raced it and trail rode for a year and it was solid as a rock and very reliable. Nothing broke, regardless of what I hit (and I hit lots as a newbie).

Came with a basic 100mm fork, shimano disc brakes, Deore gearing and shifters. Very basic kit, but all that was required for a newbie. I guarantee you will turn your first bike over quickly, so don't spend heaps, just get something that will be reliable and get you out riding.

Anaconda always have 20% sale days. I waited for one and picked up a capable bike cheap.

T-Dog87

Squid
Sorry for the late reply I was meet to give you guys an update yesterday.

I ended up getting the Scott Aspect 45. The total package listed in the quote plus the bike lock and saddle bag ended up costing me $925 so I am pretty happy about that.

I have been riding it for a couple of hours now, but as I haven't ridden a bike for quite some time I am still trying to get used to it and have been a pretty big pussy riding it so far.

My only major complaint so far about the bike is the seat. It is so bloody uncomfortable that I have to ride standing up most of the time as my ass was getting to sore. So I think that will be my first upgrade. I didn't really notice it being that uncomfortable when testing it out cause I was only using it for a short time but now that I have been taking it for longer rides it is really bad.

The only other thing that I am finding a troubling is the gears. It could be because the bike is new and I needs some time to wear in or it could just be me as I haven't ridden a bike for such a long time but I am finding the gears changes to not be that smooth and finding major delays in it change or it sometimes seems to change when I pedal harder even though I haven't shifted. Anyway I will give it some more time to figure out what the problem is if there even is one.

jet-ski

Squid
Hey, give the seat some time, your ass and the seat need to get used to each other, especially if you haven't ridden for ages.

If you are having issues with gears not changing right you can always take it back to the shop, even get them to show you how to tune the gears up. You will get some cable stretch on a new bike which usually just requires a few turns of the barrel adjusters but the shop can show you that. They should have had it smooth as when they let you take it outta the shop but it's not the first time I've heard of bikes that are out of adjustment!

Agame

Likes Bikes
congratulations on the purchase.

the saddle, as mentioned above, you will get used to. it takes a couple of weeks before you break the saddle in and also until your bum toughens up in the right places.

the gears not changing smoothly, not good enough, take it back for an adjustment. cable stretch and parts wearing in etc is what is adjusted out with the 1 month service. a new bike should change really crisply.