Looking to hit up The Oaks on sunday, but wondering about the recent rain?

explodinglamas

Likes Bikes
It would be my friend's and I's first trip to the Oaks, and its a solid 2 hour drive for us to get there. I've seen in other threads to call the NPWS people about the weir, which I will do Saturday. Does anyone have any more recent updates to the trail conditions than the 17th of march update on nobmob? Its a rather long drive and we'd rather not waste it haha!

ChopSticks

Banned
save your time mate

Planned an Oakes ride tomorrow morning, but its simply too wet.... and not going to change for sunday either !

Jubas

Likes Dirt
A chunk of the single track is closed for construction work too - reducing the fun factor a bit. The NPWS are handing out $300 on the spot fines to those who ride the closed sections of single track.. not that you would, because we care about the condition of the trail right? :)

explodinglamas

Likes Bikes
A chunk of the single track is closed for construction work too - reducing the fun factor a bit. The NPWS are handing out $300 on the spot fines to those who ride the closed sections of single track.. not that you would, because we care about the condition of the trail right? :)
Of course, the closed sections are signed though aren't they? we wouldn't be able to wander in there by accident?

notime

Likes Dirt
I rode the oaks today and it's dry, the single track has a couple of puddles and that's it.

Get on it.

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
I rode the oaks today and it's dry, the single track has a couple of puddles and that's it.

Get on it.
Good stuff. Does that mean your broken bum is better?

I've got an RDO tomorrow and I think it's time I got up there. The Oaks, that is ...... :behindsofa:

While we're talking about The Oaks, can anyone tell me if it's still two-way. I remember some close calls 10 years ago with people walking up towards Woodford in the middle of the track, two or three abreast, pushing bikes, etc ....

Does that still happen?

Last edited:

DJR

Likes Dirt
Good stuff. Does that mean your broken bum is better?

I've got an RDO tomorrow and I think it's time I got up there. The Oaks, that is ...... :behindsofa:

While we're talking about The Oaks, can anyone tell me if it's still two-way. I remember some close calls 10 years ago with people walking up towards Woodford in the middle of the track, two or three abreast, pushing bikes, etc ....

Does that still happen?
Some people still do that from time to time. I often ride it at night though, when you don't get that problem so much :)

ChopSticks

Banned
yepppp plenty of people do the reverse oaks as training.... though should be wide enough an open enough for people to see you hammering it down to get out of your way

wjeffsy

Squid
That's true. We were there 2 weeks ago. Good thing it was clearly signed and the track is blockedn by an orange barrier. Although the ride from Woodford to Glenbrook is still enjoyable although the closed part is my favourite due to it having the rock garden.

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
I didn't go today on account of the severe storms in the mountains last night. Good thing too, I had a little ride around the property today and broke my seatpost.... again.

Dowlo

Likes Bikes
Dug up this old thread to see if there was any info regarding bike choice for the Oaks Fire Trail. I'm riding it tomorrow and wondering if I take my HT STUMPY 29er or my Trance 29er? We're riding up and down it so thinking the Stumpy but for a 55k ride I'm also thinking Trance for comfort. Any suggestions?

jett_e

Likes Bikes
Trance no doubt. The downhill sections of the fire trail can get quite rough in sections. Make sure you don't miss the newish section at the end of the single track at Glenbrook.

DJR

Likes Dirt
You'd be fine on either. On the hardtail you'll just have to have good lines or take it easy down bmx hill and redwire . redwire is pretty rough at the moment. I'd take the trance but if you are trying to set lap records take a hard tail

Dowlo

Likes Bikes
Trance no doubt. The downhill sections of the fire trail can get quite rough in sections. Make sure you don't miss the newish section at the end of the single track at Glenbrook.
Awesome, thanks for the reply Jett.

Dowlo

Likes Bikes
You'd be fine on either. On the hardtail you'll just have to have good lines or take it easy down bmx hill and redwire . redwire is pretty rough at the moment. I'd take the trance but if you are trying to set lap records take a hard tail
Haha, no records mate. Just a social ride.

Dowlo

Likes Bikes
Well I'm glad I took the Trance, we did 60.9ks so I think the HT Stumpy would have been a bit rough for such a long ride.
The updated single track was also great, definitely worth another trip back.

stirk

Burner
Well I'm glad I took the Trance, we did 60.9ks so I think the HT Stumpy would have been a bit rough for such a long ride.
The updated single track was also great, definitely worth another trip back.
The single track from the gate is great and the last blue/black graded section awesome!!

HT or Dualiey is fine, but duelly is moore fun for sure.