Looks like the sram geo-block has reached germany.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
I'd say there is every chance. This isn't the result of a SRAM directive purely to placate Monza or Australian retailers. It will be a global policy from SRAM to protect all of its partners in all markets.

Plenty of manufacturers of all types of consumer goods have done the same. Won't stop grey importing though.
Will be easier to swallow if SRAM's policy is consistent across all markets, but can't see it making the local market more competitive. It's a bit like Uber being told to bugger off to protect the taxi industry.

You're right though - there are always going to be options. Whether warranty on grey imports will be honoured locally might be another matter.

agentninety3

Likes Dirt
The annoying thing about this is it was far easier for me to order online than deal with LBS who may or may not actually put in the order for the part that they definitely do not carry in stock.

SaabG

Likes Dirt
Another option is ubyk. Just don't expect your items to turn up in under a month though. I think I'll be going back to shimano now, or better yet, I'll be getting a Zerode.

safreek

pretty fuct that they don't even have an email address, shows what a pack of dodgy fux they are. wanted to get a bb from usa and could not do so, wanted to send them a get fucked message but that seems impossible. From what I can see shimano bbs are dirt cheap compared to sram so why do people buy them.

moorey

call me Mia
pretty fuct that they don't even have an email address, shows what a pack of dodgy fux they are. wanted to get a bb from usa and could not do so, wanted to send them a get fucked message but that seems impossible. From what I can see shimano bbs are dirt cheap compared to sram so why do people buy them.
Because gxp aren't interchangeable (stepped axle). I like my spiderless truvativ/SRAM cranks, but unless you buy the stock ones, you're looking at Hope, CK etc. Those $10 eBay jobbies aren't planned for my bikes, and I don't have high expectations :behindsofa:

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Bike Components in Deutschland are still shipping SRAM btw - have an NX groupset en route :)

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Bike Components in Deutschland are still shipping SRAM btw - have an NX groupset en route :)
Yep, grabbed some Pikes off them a few weeks back. Impressed with the shipping speed as well, definitely faster than the other usual German suspects.

will2

Likes Dirt
Still pays to shop around I guess, and buy stuff when it's on sale - just look at the price of Cane Creek shocks on mountainbikesdirect at the moment.
Bought a CCDB Coil climb switch last week. $850. I was happy with that. Next best was Jenson with $801, I would of then been hit with shipping and currency conversion fee from the bank.
I got a big sticker too!

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Bike24 still working sometimes...

I somehow just got a Reverb through the net at Bike24. Only $250 posted too.

Taking an eternity to arrive though :ranger:

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Bit of a thread dig - looks like bike24 is shipping SRAM to us again. Can't confirm personally as I spent all my money over Christmas, but their website doesn't say 'can't ship to your destination' anymore for RockShox forks, or SRAM groupsets etc.

I bought a bunch of SRAM stuff from bike24 on Monday (2/2/17) and the order was accepted. However, the payment is sitting in PayPal limbo and the order hasn't changed so not sure if they have actually altered policy. I'll update if/when something happens.

cramhobart

Likes Dirt
A friend who works in the industry told me that wholesale prices to aus bike shops increased within a week of the geoblock starting. Rumour is Sram aus has 2 years to significantly increase revenue or the geoblock ends.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
A friend who works in the industry told me that wholesale prices to aus bike shops increased within a week of the geoblock starting. Rumour is Sram aus has 2 years to significantly increase revenue or the geoblock ends.

Consumers needing support and advice from a LBS need to pay a retail premium for the service. Fair and reasonable.

A price discrepancy between online global pricing and aus wholesale worked for us, the advanced user who didn't need the LBS.

I see this as a strategy ballsup by SRAM, hopefully it allows the little players to get a foot hold and fracture the market, braking the duopoly of Shimano and SRAM

The market is opening up with alternate 11 speed cassettes from Hope (225 AUD) plus oneUp's freehub, and now Box has released an 11 speed derailleur (175 usd) and shifter (75usd) and 11-46 shimano FH compatible 11 cassette (99usd)

Last edited:

SaabG

Likes Dirt
I think sram is shooting thenselves in the foot doing this. I mean you can get an xt 11 speed derailleur cassette and shifter online for the same price as an xx1 cassette purchased locally. I'll be making the switch back to shimano myself.

floody

Wheel size expert
Kind of surprising as SRAM have been one of the least conservative of the distributors. I mean look at Shimano, they just take the p!ss.
Then again, that's like being one of the least conservative in the LNP right faction I suppose.

RichJS

Likes Dirt
Sounds like next time I need an X0 rear derailleur I'll be buying an XT M8000 mech instead. Fox and Shimano for the next couple of years, I suppose. Good luck with that increased revenue thing tho, SRAM Aus.

Never mind price differential - how about if they won't even sell it to you? Last month my LBS was keen to order me in a replacement Elixir Carbon lever, but SRAM Aust tell them they don't have them, and don't make them anymore. Can't see one at the favourite online stores - and the problem is that I can't they have them and are blocking me from seeing them (didn't try change countries on every site..) Funnily enough eBay has a number of US bike stores happy to send me one.

ducky1988

Likes Dirt
I honestly think Shimano can get screwed. how can I buy a c50 wheelset for 200 dollars cheaper than the LBS ? they must be ripping a shit tonne of people who shop at stores off. It is ok though because the shop takes the blame. The reps in aus are useless and their product support is terrible (don't get me started on fox). At least SRAM are standing behind the LBS, providing great product service and actually know what mtb is.

So an update on my SRAM-filled Bike24.com order...shipped with all the geo-blocked goodies in it. No idea why we can buy from ze Germans again but if you need some replacement parts, now might be a good time to order.