Lord of the Squirrels

crowash

Likes Dirt
I've got a trip coming up in a few weeks, we (seven of us) are off to Squamish and Whistler for 16 days of riding. :D.. so pumped!!!

I'm working on my trail bucket list and Lord of the Squirrels looks awesome https://www.trailforks.com/route/lord-of-the-squirrels-loop-function/

Only, issue is that the first 1700 metres are covered in just 12km. We've been training for some epics whilst we are away but this seems extreme. I'm wondering who has done it and what level of fitness you were at? Is there something about this trail that makes it especially climable? I'm anticipating I've got a 12km hike before I get to do any riding?

I note ebikes aren't allowed up there so that rules out that backup plan.

LPG

likes thicc birds
Never ridden it but I would say that often these things are worth it. Take plenty of water, food and give yourself plenty of time. Use the climb to enjoy the nature. Stop and take photos on the way up. Then enjoy the well earned descent

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Thats a climb! My last big one was 1300m over 27kms on the roadie on tarmac and that felt like an achievement - this is epic!

kbekus

Likes Dirt
I watched a BKXC YouTube video where he rode this, looked like a great trail. He's pretty fit and he just slogged his way up the climb.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The numbers are definitely intimidating, it will be quite steep to achieve that.
The question is whether you will be strong enough for the descent after 2 hours+ of climbing to make it worthwhile?

RichJS

Likes Dirt
I'm wondering who has done it and what level of fitness you were at? Is there something about this trail that makes it especially climable?
So the climbing trail on the loop, Into The Mystic, is wide (like 1m wide-ish) and smooth - that's what makes it especially climbable.

The better half and I rode it around the time it officially opened in 2017. We had solid but definitely not elite levels of bike fitness ..

There are some short, steep pinches that had her walking / me puffing - but pack a sandwich, snacks and plenty of water, have a break every 30 minutes and you'll get there. There's still some effort at On The Rocks, then LotS is a solidly blue 40 minutes of descending. If you ride from Whistler village you have a bit of effort to get to the trailhead, choose your access trails - effort vs fun. Getting back is obviously easier. I recommend Danimal. Total trip was ~6 hours.

I haven't ridden in enough countries to say, but I heard others calling it one of the top 3 trails worldwide and I can't disagree. So get plenty of practice climbing in between now and Whis - either road or mountain, but make them big - and just ride it!