Love affair with the Nimble 9

Currently got the ROS 9. Love it to death. I only ever ridden hardtail and really, it's all I want. It's simple, clean looking and lets not talk about maintenance cost. My dilemma is wanting something new. Nowadays the All-Mountain hardtails are about the same aren't they? I mean a difference of 5mm, .1 degree in the STA and HTA from one bike to another does it really make that much of difference? I have in sight the Nimble 9. I haven't ridden one and it's probably the best way to determine the feel. However, it's not easy here Australia. Anyone got any experience base on the schematics and explain the biggest ride difference. I've pulled up both the geo and noticeably, the reach and wheelbase are the biggest difference. Thanks guys!

Soul-Rider

Likes Dirt
I love my last gen Nimble 9 and the new one looks like it fixes all the shortcomings of that model. Prices are great and the colours are AWESOME!

“Nowadays the All-Mountain hardtail are about the same aren’t they?”
Not sure I agree with you here. Compare the Canfield to a Chromag or a Gurillia Gravity. There are some companies doing some radical things with sizing, head angle and seat angle. The Canfield is pretty middle of the road (not a bad thing) and is still over an inch longer than the last.

PJO

in me vL comy
I was recently on the hunt for an AM hardtail and The Nimble 9 was on my shortlist as was the Nordest Bardino and the Pipedream Moxie. I also considered the Stanton Sherpa, Cotic Solaris, Chromag Rootdown, and Kona Honzo.

I wanted a 29er with 450mm seat tube or less (for a long dropper), a slack front (<66) for good descending, steep seat tube angle (>74.5 unsagged) for good climbing, a reach of 450mm or more, and longish travel.
The Honzo, Nimble 9, and Solaris are limited to 140mm which I could live with but the Sherpa was only 120mm max so that was out.
I would have to wait for the new Honzo's to arrive in Aus (and they do look sexy in that new green colour).
Chromag seat tube was too long.
Solaris seat angle is too slack.
The Nimble 9 seat tube angle is actually reasonably steep (what is shown on the website is the actual rather than effective), I email Chris Canfield and figured this out. By the time I decided to pull the trigger there weren't any large sizes left and the seat tube length is a bit long
The Nordest is almost there (even though the seat tube angle shown in the geo is with fork sagged) and it came down to that and the Moxie, both were about the same price delivered.
Ended up with the Moxie at 150mm travel (limit is 160mm) in 29er guise, it ticked the boxes and could get it here for just under $1200 delivered. .

The Moxie descends so well, that slack head angle (~65 at 150mm travel) gives you so much confidence. The seat tube angle is the steepest of the lot (~76 at 150mm travel) and it is great for climbing but has one drawback when riding level ground you do have more weight on your hands, not a deal breaker just something to get used to, there isn't much flat riding around here anyway.

Just noticed the new Stanton Switch9er, which is a sweet looking bike and if the published weights are correct quite a bit lighter than the Moxie.

The one thing you will notice is the length, the ROS 9 is not particularly long (reach) compared with newer AM hardtails, it is a good thing, I'm running a very short stem and the steering feels very direct, just point and it goes.

Happy hunting!

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
The Switch9er is starting to reach my higher end of the budget, after I factor in new forks and wheels. I have the drive train and some old Juicy 5s (that are actually pretty dang good) but I'd like to consider new brakes as well. That probably puts this one out of my range.

the Canfield Nimble looks good and is on sale for USD599 but nothing in my size.

Considering complete builds of the Commencal Meta, Kona Honzo or Trek Stache but I have issues with some of the componentry on these bikes along with the curse of living in Australia and Canberra, I don't even get to sit on one before I fork out the dosh.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Their switch9erFS is the best looking 29er I think I’ve seen.

Wish it came in 27.5

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Kingdom Vendetta XFS.

Comes in hardtail too.

Thought if we were just listing best looking bikes that I'd chime in

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Missed the link @Zaf, how bloody good is that in orange!

I understand showing off welds with raw metal, moreso than most. But fuuuuuuuuuck that Ion.

Before I drop cash on another frame, I need to go for a ride on the tranny again. Will report back on decision tomorrow haha

Reactions: Zaf

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have a Nimble 9 and it is a keeper. I wanted a HT for a mix of dirt and riding to work and now it is the bike I ride the most.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
keep the ROS if you love it and get something completely different- gravel, dirt jumper, FS,