Lower back pain on the trail bike.

mark22

Likes Dirt
160mm Reign. Yep, I agree with that. Like I said I'm good while riding. It's after. And it's accumulative. After 3 days of riding my back gets quite bad. So maybe some stretching after a ride because I'm naughty and don't do that. Can someone recommend some stretches to do after riding please?
Ummm Moving elbow from 90 deg to approx head height :whistle:

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
I'm 6'3" (approx. 190 cms).
I ride a 2015 Trance - XL Frame.
I have had intermittent LBP all my life. I have a spinal shape the experts call "Lordosis" I think.
Just last month I was fooling around with my daughter & pulled a lower back muscle that is still not fully recovered.

When I bought my bike the LBS guy was adamant that if someone is on the borderline of frame sizes (which I was when looking at the Giant sizing recommendations), it is always better to ride the larger size.
His opinion, not necessarily mine (I don't have enough knowledge to question it. I'm sure there's arguments for both...).

If I haven't ridden for a while (like over a month) my lower back aches for most of the ride but it will settle down afterwards. A follow-up ride will induce even more pain to begin with, but fades if I "push through it".
So the more I ride the better my back gets.
Pre-ride and post-ride stretching definitely helps me - hamstrings and bum cheeks are absolutely key to lower back muscle tension (in my experience). Especially for tall people.

I have changed my stem, bars, spacers etc quite a bit. I try to think of fitting IN the bike, not ON the bike when I experiment with the cockpit.

HTH...

eastie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You're not getting any younger either?
I'm sure it has been mentioned, but for good measure I'll assume you ignored it... try yoga and/or core strength exercises, it's what kept Jesus going so long on the cross.
Most importantly, remember to say namaste often, and more importantly is that you add cunt or motherfucker to the Namaste bit, unless you're doing yoga with a monk, in which case you should be nice and ask them about how they can heal you from back pain.

Good luck.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not sure there's a silver bullet for this one, but you'd have to think yoga and green tea can't hurt unless taken as an enema mid pose.

fwiw my hip flexors are TAF from sitting at a desk all day, and I notice a lot of things improve when I stretch them, including comfort on the bike, and sleeping too. I'm also the opposite to advice given here, if I have a more stretched out ride it results in more acute angles around the hip & torso, which sets off those muscles and shortly after my lower back as well. Boo.

PS I did get an mri which indicated disc degeneration in the lower back but all normal levels apparently, as the possible cause. Nothing I can do about that AFAIK.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Sorry bro, only one cure for what ails ya. Lawn bowls and XC.

You're an old man now, own it!

Sent from my HTC_M9u using Tapatalk