Lower shock mount

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Got a brand new bike and after a couple of rides I noticed that when i lifted the bike there was a slight knock from the shock. If I put my hand down I could feel the bottom of the shock would lift slightly. I have taken the pin out and you can see the wear on it already below. Where it mounts through is carbon fibre and when I tightened it back up it feels pretty good but will see how it goes after the weekend.

What you think brains trust? Would this bother you and would you take it back to the shop?

IMG_3194.JPG

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It’s more likely to be worn suspension bushings than that big chunk of metal.

But if it doesn’t have any play and isn’t making any funky sounds now that you’ve tightened it up, I wouldn’t worry about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It’s more likely to be worn suspension bushings than that big chunk of metal.
But if it doesn’t have any play and isn’t making any funky sounds now that you’ve tightened it up, I wouldn’t worry about it.
I didnt think the pin should rotate at all so to have that much wear on it assumed it would be the frame and not the bushing. I just took it apart again and there does seem to be too much clearance in the bushing.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Can you feel any lip or ridge with your thumbnail? If not then don't worry about it. Check the bushes haven't worn because it sounds as if the mount was loose from delivery. That would be warranty.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Can you feel any lip or ridge with your thumbnail? If not then don't worry about it. Check the bushes haven't worn because it sounds as if the mount was loose from delivery. That would be warranty.
If I take the bottom of the shock out of the frame and put the pin back through the bushing and hold the pin both sides of the shock I can feel some play. I think it's time to take it back.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Looks like a Giant lower shock bolt so there may be no du bushing to wear. If it's a Giant then tightening to spec should clamp the shock tight enough between the two spacers that you don't get a knock. These spacers can wear and need replacement.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Things do loosen off as they settle in on new bikes; it's precisely why the shop usually (or should...) suggests you drop the bike back after a month or so, or sooner if necessary, to go over that stuff.

goobags

Likes Dirt
Unless your bike shop is a good one, they will just clean it up and torque it back to spec. Maybe some locktite but only maybe. Then they will say keep an eye on it. Definitely worth taking it back in, or even having a chat to them about it so if it happens again, they already know about it.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Since posting this I tightened it back up to spec and have had 2 hard rides with it and it hasnt come loose. We will see how it goes over time.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Things do loosen off as they settle in on new bikes; it's precisely why the shop usually (or should...) suggests you drop the bike back after a month or so, or sooner if necessary, to go over that stuff.
The shop did mention this but when I asked what it included the guy just said the service covered cable stretching and stuff like that. It wasn't confidence inspiring.

teK--

Eats Squid
That giant lower shock bolt is very pedantic about corrcor torque.

Remove the top shock bolt and keep the bottom on. Tighten the lower bolt just enough that when you wiggle the top of the shock side to side there is no play.

But when you rotate the shock forward/back the shock bolt should turn with the shock. If it doesn't then it is binding and wearing away the bolt.

I have found the magic figure is around 13.5Nm but it can vary depending on tolerances of your frame/spacers.

Use loctite on the bolt threads and conduct this check regularly.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Yeah, the bolt is the same diameter as the shock eye....
I understand that, but the bolt could be any size that giant wanted...even too big! Why do they choose to do that? When I discovered this feature on my last giant I was under the impression that the DU had an important role in reducing friction etc.

teK--

Eats Squid
I understand that, but the bolt could be any size that giant wanted...even too big! Why do they choose to do that? When I discovered this feature on my last giant I was under the impression that the DU had an important role in reducing friction etc.
The deisgn is such that instead of the bolt rotating through the shock, it pinches the inner race of the bearings which are mounted in the frame. Therefore the shock and bolt rotate as a complete assembly within the frame (it only turns a few degrees) and the bearings in the lower wishbone rotate against the shock/lower bolt assembly . It's a good system .. but needs regular maintenance.