Lunch cutting on sales.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
My thoughts on this are pretty clear and yeah, I agree that if you intend an interest in the item then yep, you should put a post in that thread. In a perfect world, the seller would check their sale threads and PM's each day and act on it promptly and honestly.
In the end, money talks and respectability won't apply with some people. I'd love to say we can enforce some sort of protocol with who gets the goods but we can't and it's entirely up to the trader to sell the goods their way. There's a lot of variables that can make a sale circumstance vary but my only advice is to not part ways with any cash until the saller says that you are the confirmed buyer.
And don't send stuff to any Nigerian princes...

tex72

Likes Dirt
snip...... I agree that if you intend an interest in the item then yep, you should put a post in that thread......
For this to work, members without trading access should be able to post in the trading section. Just not be able to start any threads of their own.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
For this to work, members without trading access should be able to post in the trading section. Just not be able to start any threads of their own.
I don't have an issue with having to get a number of posts up before trading access is granted. It's just another step to sort the wheat from the chaff. However I do think that forum etiquette should be to post interest in the thread before PMing. Otherwise it's just like any e-commerce site, which is specifically what a free forum is avoiding in the first place.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I bought stuff via pm long before I had trading access. I have no issues with first in first served and the way the Trading area is set up if you don't have trading access you have no other choice but to pm. I have sold a few things (even to the dreaded DD who was actually a nice guy to deal with on that occasion at least) bought a few things and had a few freebies to and from. It has worked well. If someone gets in first then fair enough. I have missed out on some stuff too but that is life. Cut out the profiteering and gazumping by reporting it and the Trading section will remain fair and reasonable. It would be nice if the seller could respond in the thread by saying a pm or two ahead of you if someone has only queried in the thread. Actually be nice if some sellers actually respond but that is another matter.

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I had a similar issue once, I posted "I'll take it" literally seconds after something was listed, I guess it was just good timing or so I thought, I backed it up with a pm asking for bank details, a week later I got a pm back "sorry it's sold".
Frustrating.

WarbyD

Likes Dirt
Could be worse... I've said I was keen for something being sold locally, organised a time to go and pick it up.. had my wife drive 30 minutes to pick me up from the office so I could make it there in time (one car family).. drive another 15 minutes to their house to be there at the arranged time.. only to have them call me when I am literally around the corner (still 10 minutes before pre-arranged time) and say someone else has bought it when they came to look at some other stuff.

There was much rage. Had wife & kids not been in the car with me it is likely I still would have completed the drive to ensure this person clearly understood my thoughts about their conduct.

More on topic... I bought a few things from the trading section on here before I made my first post, pretty sure a google search for an item is actually how I found the site in the first place. Even now I don't think I have trading access. I don't think you can "regulate out" dickhead sellers on a forum like this without causing the moderator team a whole heap of extra headache (having been a moderator on another community forum, there is nothing worse than the he said/she said over a trade that hasn't gone to plan), but it is definitely poor form IMO for sellers to not at least offer an explanation like "Hey, sorry mate.. You got in first but I've had a heap of trouble free transactions with this other guy and owe him a favour or two so I'm going to let it go to him" or "Sorry, I got a couple of other PMs before yours.. will let you know if they fall through"

scblack

Leucocholic
Could be worse... I've said I was keen for something being sold locally, organised a time to go and pick it up.. had my wife drive 30 minutes to pick me up from the office so I could make it there in time (one car family).. drive another 15 minutes to their house to be there at the arranged time.. only to have them call me when I am literally around the corner (still 10 minutes before pre-arranged time) and say someone else has bought it when they came to look at some other stuff.

There was much rage. Had wife & kids not been in the car with me it is likely I still would have completed the drive to ensure this person clearly understood my thoughts about their conduct.
I've had exactly the same. Saint brakes for sale, so checked left/right is good, agreed on price and got address to pick up later in the week and that's about 30-45 min drive in Sydney.

10mins before pickup time I get a phone call: "Oh, I'm just trying to bleed them and the seals are blown. So can't sell them."

I went off, why the fark did you not do this before you listed the friggen brakes moron and I had to drive to your suburb? His only comeback was its better having this now than a bad sale. Kinda right, but you still timed your checking their function badly.

I was pissed off.

Minlak

custom titis
Items not as described are my favorite thing...... This bike is mint except for scratches pictured. That is not mint its fucking scratched. And ffs clean the item you want to sell before telling us how well its been looked after. Loved buying brakes with 95% pad life..... technically he was correct 95% gone :( be honest price it accordingly and lets all hug.

MARKL

Eats Squid
I don't think there is an ideal solution that will work all the time but for what it's worth my 2c...and this is pretty close to what happens most of the time anyhow...

1 - seller has the right to sell to who he or she wants to sell to and can decline an offer

2 - the seller should specify if pick up only or post.

3 - prospective purchaser should post reply that they are buying, works on a first come first serve basis

4 - if somebody doesn't have trading access or wants to make an offer below selling price they can do it via PM. When the seller sees the PM offer and decides they want to accept the offer they should post a reply along the lines of 'sold to....subject to...' The difference here is the PM offer falls into the queue when the seller declares it, not when it is made.

I think this is as open and transparent as it can be and fits in with the culture of the site...the big issue is how the hell can this work when people can't put 'sold' in the farkin title?