Lysterfield Cycles - a new way of funding trail work

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
- pre approval for works from PV isnt going to happen. This is such a tough one to convey properly and remain diplomatic - in essence we (the MTB community everywhere) are locking horns with PV. What we're attempting to do is remove some arguments and dangle some carrots in front of them. There's no way to promise success in this but we'd be in a much stronger position with an income stream. Regardless of how much success we have, the community will be better served by a shop that's profits go to this cause. We can't promise X amount of trails, but we can promise we'll fight for them.
dealing with parks or delwp will pretty much get you nowhere, every club has their hands tied; only way to get something done is do deals with state political members, who go over parks head and get big funding; parks don't want something which will create more work for them, warburton trails stalled, creswick going nowehre [they got a jump track in town, nothing else]
if you get funding, and manage to get something built parks can deal with it later; i think its still the case geeelog club can't do propertrail work, parks use their own guys, geelong can assist with small jobs - they seem more interested in making it a cultural / heritage centre, - i presume ldtr are limited in what they can do also; get small jobs approved -but nothing major

i can't see a shop [whether it makes money or not] having any influence on what decisions parks-vic makes ,negative i know -and i understand how frustrating if must be for lysty committee/users --but this isn't tasmania

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
again though, i'd prefer to have that money there for it as ammo than not. i get it, there's some IFs around it, but realistically the worst case scenario is still a bike shop that's serving the communities needs and funelling money to maintenance.

Its still a tough one to try to convey diplomatically on broader channels because you cant outright take pot shots at PV. I'm sure they could make things more difficult if they wanted so we all have to play nice.

Minlak

custom titis
If I am reading what you are putting down correctly - This shop thing is a done deal and the only thing you are really doing is ironing out the public relations side of things to placate the public and hopefully garner support and donations?

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Have you thought about putting money toward a scheme that provides bikes and protective equipment to disadvantaged kids in the local community?

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Have you thought about putting money toward a scheme that provides bikes and protective equipment to disadvantaged kids in the local community?
One of the members has suggested that we can look at a traineeship program for disadvanted youths

I've had the bright spark idea to try and get a recycling/upcycling program happenning for the local kids (i do this already on a small scale, would be awesome to do this on a larger scale)

I'll try to get these into the future works section, thanks!

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
If I am reading what you are putting down correctly - This shop thing is a done deal and the only thing you are really doing is ironing out the public relations side of things to placate the public and hopefully garner support and donations?
not quite. the space is ours if we we can pay for it, we're not competing for it which is gold. but we still need to pony up for the set up etc.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
its a pity someone does not have a vending machine with 6 diff tubes, a multi tool, 1-2 tyres; would have someone being there mid week when numbers are low..provide one of those workshop stands with a pump, tools attached to a steel cable..maybe a screen with dale showing people how to use said tools,poeple select which repair they need, Dale shows you on the screen
i missed this one. a vending machine is a bloody excellent idea. consider it added!

Calvin27

Eats Squid
One of the members has suggested that we can look at a traineeship program for disadvanted youths

I've had the bright spark idea to try and get a recycling/upcycling program happenning for the local kids (i do this already on a small scale, would be awesome to do this on a larger scale)
Both excellent ideas, and I really admire the aspiration. I'm kind of sounding like a wet blanket but it's trying to do too much at once. Love me a good social enterprise, and ceres has been the net recipient of a lot of of my unused spares but both these present more barriers unfortunately.

If the main goal is make money to fund the trails, then lets get that going before we broaden out.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
@Calvin27 - yep, agreed, cant do everything off the bat. espicially with a reduced target. you're seeing it first, this is the amended new campaign blurb:

Lysterfield Cycles hopes to be the first not for profit Mountain Bike shop, focusing entirely on MTB

Located in the new Montague cafe complex near the main Horsewood Rd entrance to Lysterfield park, Lysterfield Cycles will be in a perfect position to help serve the MTB community. "The Orchard at Montague" will have dining and produce for a post ride feed to compliment the whole experience.

Being Not For Profit, Lysterfield cycles will cover its running costs, and all profit on top of this will go back in to the park and the MTB community in a variety of different ways. We’re looking to create an ongoing revenue stream for our stakeholders interests, to improve the Lysterfield experience and draw more interest to the sport.

Lysterfield Cycles doesn’t aim to compete with Melbourne bike shops and has no intention to sell bikes. In fact, with a thriving trail network and an increase in the number of riders, we see local bike shops benefiting in the long term due to our increase exposure of the sport, creating a strong and prominent riding community and promoting the wonderful trails we have so close to urban residential areas. Bike demo hire will help drive sales to surrounding businesses.

In order to go ahead with this we need your help to hit our minimum target of $50,000. This is a bare minimum startup cost to cover the set up and initial running costs of the store. All donations will be refunded if the project is unable to go ahead, so you’re not gambling on whether we hit that target.

Lysterfield Cycles hopes to offer at launch:

• High quality bike service and repairs
  • Current model MTB demo fleet for hire
  • MTB parts, accessories and apparel
  • Basic bike maintenance classes
  • Guilt free installation of those online part purchases
  • Centrally located lost and found
  • A friendly place to start or finish your ride…
  • No Bike Sales!

Future services we're hoping to be able to provide:

• In house suspension servicing
  • Intermediate bike repair classes
  • Bike wash station
  • Skills Clinics
  • Guided Tours
  • Trailside assist
  • Emergency parts vending machine

Profits raised from the shop will directly fund MTB Community Projects:

• Material and equipment costs for Lysterfield District Trail Riders (the local MTB Club)
  • Engaging professional trail building contractors
  • Costs associated with new trail and trail upgrade planning and permits
  • Trainee mechanic program for at risk youth
  • Bicycle recycling program to help disadvantaged kids get on bikes
  • Facility upgrades like bench seating, trailside tool stands, and bike stands
  • Local rider support and sponsorship
  • Support for official social rides, such as first aid kits and tool kits for ride leaders

Visit our website for further information and contact details

http://lysterfieldcycles.com.au/

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Both excellent ideas, and I really admire the aspiration. I'm kind of sounding like a wet blanket but it's trying to do too much at once. Love me a good social enterprise, and ceres has been the net recipient of a lot of of my unused spares but both these present more barriers unfortunately.

If the main goal is make money to fund the trails, then lets get that going before we broaden out.
But if trails can't actually be funded effectively due to PV red tape, the social enterprise needs to do something social.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
@Calvin27 - yep, agreed, cant do everything off the bat. espicially with a reduced target. you're seeing it first, this is the amended new campaign blurb:
http://lysterfieldcycles.com.au/
i forgot, have you already spoken to the bike collective in collingwood at the farm? they have been doing most of what you’re after for a while, they will have some good ideas on the classes/helping with bike buuild advice, they sell only secondhand gear, but i’m sure they will have some good experience

PS ldtr is incorporated, proprietary limited? needed for said ass coverings

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
The campaign has been relaunched after feedback received (mostly thanks to you lot, well done).

There's a few changes, including better value for supporters and a much lower target. Also an FAQ page to hopefully settle some of those transparency issues.

Thanks again for all the feedback guys. Please share it around and support it if you'd like to see it get off the ground!

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
If you haven't already Planko - this needs some big printed signs at the trailhead, and some flyers to go with it. So people can roll past, think "great idea" - and take the details with them. A lot of folk that ride give zero fucks about social media (myself included outside of RB...).

And to satisfy my curiosity - if a commercial shop will take over the space if the not-for-profit fails to get up - Why such a focus on "No bike sales!"? Seems like it would be the easiest thing to sell at the location. "Yes, we're a bike shop - and we have a demo fleet so you can try before you buy!"

I'm sure there's a reason for it, but it just seems odd from an "outsiders" perspective.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Yep, I put out flyers. I've now worked out how to make QR codes so I'll replace those this weekend with new ones. Clever me!

The hire demo bike only thing is twofold - reduced startup cost, we won't have to buy bike stock because we'll be providing a location and maintenance for a demo fleet (some brands are on board with this already so the idea has legs).

Also, we are pretty keen not to step on too many toes. There's a few shops in the area and no doubt there's going to be some negativity going around. The shop don't want to see other shops support the park and users less if we can help it, and the hope is that this will send sales outwards and create a good working relationship with them. Similarly, they can send customers to us to try before they buy.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Calvin27

Eats Squid
The hire demo bike only thing is twofold - reduced startup cost, we won't have to buy bike stock because we'll be providing a location and maintenance for a demo fleet (some brands are on board with this already so the idea has legs).
A bit of a side, but I heard that the forest dudes were offloading their stock of fleet bikes. Was told (from the brewery - so not a 100% reliable source) all their stuff for $20k which is actually not a bad deal if it includes some workshop bits. Me and a mate were pissing around saying we should do a chops, buy it and make a motza flogging bikes at covid prices.

sossy

Saucier
I’ve had a good look at this, and while the idea is noble, I just can’t see it. My question comes to what profit is going to end up to the trails?
It’s all good and well to say all profit, but people need to be paid, rent needs to be paid, suppliers need to be paid. What is the break even amount for the shop with all of that taken into account, before there is even a dollar to donate?
I don’t want to be a negative nelly, because I like the idea, but I just can’t see a service centre in a destination having the turnover to support the cause.
Destination stores have a reason people go there, ie: good pricing, broad range, good stock etc. I can’t see a warm fuzzy feeling dragging me to a store further away than my local.
Emergency items are a no brainer - tubes, chains, brake pads etc, but a vending machine can do that with no wage cost.
I wish all well with it, but it just doesn’t make business sense. Maybe there’s a wealthy philanthropist out there who wants to help, but even then, they will want to see the money working for the cause, not being eaten in wages and costs.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
So whatever happened to this ?
Fizzled and faded.

There's a bit to the saga, but the long and the short of it is that the attempt to generate interest in a short timeframe was flawed and probably unrealistic. A longer campaign might have managed it, but there was deadlines to meet.

Other ideas were floated past the initial failure, and Montague's tried to help out, but ultimately anything short of a funded shop was going to eat up masses of volunteer hours that the few people looking to help out just couldn't commit to.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk