Lysterfield or woodend

BRIFFA

Squid
Hey guys, im very fresh to the sport but I think its safe to safe say addicted, I have done all of my riding at the youyangs and thinking about heading to either lysterfield or woodend. I have been riding for a little over a month can I get your opinions on witch location might best to try first, I'm riding a Trek Fuel 9 ex.

Cheers

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Hey guys, im very fresh to the sport but I think its safe to safe say addicted, I have done all of my riding at the youyangs and thinking about heading to either lysterfield or woodend. I have been riding for a little over a month can I get your opinions on witch location might best to try first, I'm riding a Trek Fuel 9 ex.

Cheers

both mate - it aint like you have to choose - both are fun and different to the Youies. Ride one area one week and another later. Woodend is less ridden and is slightly longer but is now signposted (i believe)- neither are very technical and cool XC trails.

Ride_Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Lysty sucks.. Dont go there no one seems to be able to ride any form of line there what so ever and just ride where they please. After riding YY you will be disappointed you drove over there.. Goto Woodend.

kalem

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Woodend (i assume you are taking about wombat trails) is a bit nicer, no technical features like Youies. There is barely any elevation change, but i really enjoy riding there as you can just get into a zone of flowing through nice singletack in the bush. Good fun.

Lysty has some fun bits and is worth checking out, the new 'black diamond' trails there have kinda badly designed features that i find awkward to ride, drops to flat, big jumps with small landings etc, corners placed badly for heavy braking. Go have a look for yourself though i still head out there for a laugh.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Woodend is entirely XC oriented, whereas Listerfield has some fun downhill sections of track with jumps, drops etc. The "Rock roll" line into Granite Link can be quite technical at speed and there are some decent sized jumps on Anyeurism.

indica

Serial flasher
I rode the Wombat trails a few times and love them. Genuinely fun couple of hours with some wicked fast flowing sections.
I rode Lysterfield once and it was boggy and mostly closed, although I have seen a video posted of AM riding and was underwhelmed.

Go both, ride more, ride everything you can.

Mafra

Likes Bikes
I think Wombat is one of my favourite trails around Melbourne.

It's the sort of trail that as you improve you can push yourself harder and faster and increase the degree of difficulty that way.

Please respect the trail and don't ride it if it's been wet, the trail fairys up there do a massive job of work but it really suffers being ridden after heavy rain (unlike the youies).

Enjoy!

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Try Buxton as well

Not sure where you are coming from but Buxton also has a nice little XC loop. If you take in all the sections it is about 16km's of nice, flowing XC trail. Some good elevation changes and a few sections where the trail builders have spent a bit of time making little berms for flow.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Not sure where you are coming from but Buxton also has a nice little XC loop. If you take in all the sections it is about 16km's of nice, flowing XC trail. Some good elevation changes and a few sections where the trail builders have spent a bit of time making little berms for flow.
If you're up that way anyway, check out Lake Mountain as well. A bit more tech than Buxton and only 20 mins away, so if you do both it makes for a great day out.

Mitto68

Likes Bikes
How does Buxton hold up during the winter? I would like to come up and give it a go as well but always worried it might be too wet.

Skurfer

Cannon Fodder
As someone that is fairly new as well to MTB, what are the "cooler" places to ride in Victoria. I have ridden Youies, Lysterfield, Wombat, Buxton and Blackwood. Just looking to expand a little for something different.

BRIFFA

Squid
Thanks for all you opinons guys will deffinatly try the both of them out. Sounds like wood end might be the winner though

Baino

Likes Bikes
As someone that is fairly new as well to MTB, what are the "cooler" places to ride in Victoria. I have ridden Youies, Lysterfield, Wombat, Buxton and Blackwood. Just looking to expand a little for something different.
I'm like yourself mate fairly new to it all, however iv been told bright and mt beuty are awesome fun.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Which of those do you like best? Forrest is my favourite - about 70km's of awesome trails and a great little town. It is more XC/trail though. I haven't really ridden anything else in Vic like the Youies. Then again, I haven't made it to Laker Mountain, Bright or Buller yet.

retroenduro

Likes Dirt
Woodend is a tad muddy at the moment, rode it this morning, lysterfield is slightly drier as long as you stay on the west side (rode it yesterday) but after that rainstorm we had just now i would think most tracks around melbourne are going to be a mess.

digitalhippie

Likes Dirt
BRIFFA have sent you a link for some trails around Castlemaine. When other places are too wet to ride it's usually pretty good around here.

Baino

Likes Bikes
BRIFFA have sent you a link for some trails around Castlemaine. When other places are too wet to ride it's usually pretty good around here.
G'day digitalhippie, looks like it's going to be too wet in melb to ride so I'm thinking of comin up to castlemaine, could you please point me in the right direction of somewhere good to ride?

Cheers

BRIFFA

Squid
I have watched a few vids and it looks really good up there, the only thing that concerns me is some of the comments saying that a number of tracks have been lost due to logging?