VIC Lysterfield Park

trav

Likes Dirt
Trav, how many people help to maintain You Yangs?

Do you frequently ride at Lysterfield, or just at You Yangs?

IMO, You Yangs is simply bigger and has more tracks to choose from.
Where Lysterfield have only one main loop to ride on.
And the other thing, we can't really compare the terrain of You Yangs to Lysterfield.
Lysterfield is quiet flat in most areas of the trail and and it doesn't take much rain to turn the soil into mud. So unless they can can close down part of the trail during winter, then I can't see how the tracks can recover from overused. No matter how well designed the trails are!!
How many people help maintain the You Yangs ,

A dedicated 4 people do the majority of all work in our spare time.I do not frequent Lysterfield alot for obvious reasons,if the trail net work was well kept I would.

You are also wrong about trail design,it does make a huge difference in winter.I don't need to debate anyone about which park is better or what ever,I'm not interested in that shit.What I would like to see is Lysterfield being brought up to the same standard as the You Yangs.

This can only begin to happen when PV(not trail mix) realize that they have a huge mess to rectify.As I've stated before I will be willing to help out if PV request.

Cranker

Likes Dirt
How many people help maintain the You Yangs ,

A dedicated 4 people do the majority of all work in our spare time.I do not frequent Lysterfield alot for obvious reasons,if the trail net work was well kept I would.

You are also wrong about trail design,it does make a huge difference in winter.

As I've stated before I will be willing to help out if PV request.
Why wait for PV to asked you?
Why don't you spare us some time and come down to our next trail maintenance day and give us some good advice.

As some of us are a novice at this. I just rock up and follows instruction either from Rob or Snozza.
I'm not an expert at MTB or trail building. I just ride for fun.
And I figured what's a few hours a month to help out at the park maintenane day.

Last edited:

trav

Likes Dirt
Why don't you spare us some time and come down to our next trail maintenance day and give us some good advice.

As some of us are a novice at this. I just rock up and follows instruction either from Rob or Snozza.
I'm not an expert at MTB or trail building. I just ride for fun.
And I figured what's a few hours a month to help out at the park maintenane day.
PV manage the park and pay the bills ,alternatively why don't Rob or Snozza or any one head out to one of the training days that are being conducted at the You Yangs by myself and Mark Urquhart(PV).

Realmaf

Likes Bikes
Corrections Victoria
22/121 Exhibition St
GPO Box 123
Melbourne VIC 3001
Tel: 03 8684 6600
Fax: 03 8684 6611
Email: corrections@justice.vic.gov.au

Dear Sir/Madam,

I write to you in ambition to seek services required at my local Mountain Biking Park.
Lysterfield Park hosted the 2006 Commonwealth games MTB event and has seen very little management or maintenance done to its ever increasing popular riding trails.
I refer to a forum used by most mountain bike enthusiasts and after your perusal I'm sure you'll agree that a positive step needs to be taken in conjunction with a master plan or at least someone with soils/geology & or sustainable trail building knowledge to get a positive ball rolling before this precious resource to so many is left to degrade and wilt away.

I seek a reply as to correction Victoria stance on responding to such requests and if you would be able & or interested in helping. The forum link is as follows:

http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182181&page=1

Realmaf

Likes Bikes
short of calling the army in I'm of the impression that many hands make light work, these guys have their own over-all's too. Teamed up with a knowledgeable (read everyones a bloody expert) certified sustainable trail builder. I'm sure some prison labour could be put to very good beneficial use.

Jesus.

Likes Bikes
short of calling the army in I'm of the impression that many hands make light work, these guys have their own over-all's too. Teamed up with a knowledgeable (read everyones a bloody expert) certified sustainable trail builder. I'm sure some prison labour could be put to very good beneficial use.

I have no idea if they do that but it's an idea.

I have a friend who work's at corrections so I will ask him if that's even possible and get back to you.

:)

evltoy

Likes Dirt
This is just a thought.

Would the idea of creating a body where All participating MTB clubs and Associations (MTBV, MTBA etc) put together a central point of budget, which is built from club membership and race fees and so on. I’m sure riders will not have an issue if all official race’s said $10-$20 of the fee goes to a fund that is used to maintain the track they are racing on.

That body then goes too tender to maintain all the parks that participate. Within the tender every quarterly the contractor will work professionally on a specific park.

If there is an issue with Parks or local gov for approval etc, then the more clubs, people pushing to have something done in that area will have a greater affect then one club/shop pushing to get things done in their area. This also will bring all the clubs members & locations together where the knowledge and experience is shared amounts each other.

We have to stop the bitching, the pointing of fault and the “whose location is better” crap.
Some of us have to stop and stand back and accept that others could know or have more experience in building/management and accept/use their input.

We need to work together as a team if we want to keep our locations alive and usable.

It’s a wild thought and a very general overview, but with the right people to set this up… It can happen and work well for all parties

Wayne

Realmaf

Likes Bikes
"Realmaf": your query has been forwarded to the General Manager, Community Work, Community Correctional Services Division, Corrections Victoria for consideration and response to you.

Regards.

Malcolm Feiner
Resource Centre
Corrections Victoria

L.P.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
so, they forwarded your email to the department of corrections? is it normal for prisoners to be allowed out to maintain victorian parks?

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
You've got to be kidding, Trav already gives up more spare time than he should maintaining the You Yangs.

Realmaf

Likes Bikes
so, they forwarded your email to the department of corrections? is it normal for prisoners to be allowed out to maintain victorian parks?
If you read through some of the management plans for Lysterfield & Churchill parks the answer is yeah. Not all prisoners are total bad arses and not all of em are locked away for life. Some minimal security blokes work up to 10 days a fortnight for minimal wages. Beats being cooped up in a detention centre all day everyday. I've come across 'chain gangs' before in the middle of nowhere cutting grass and removing blackberries etc etc around public shelters, BBQs. I've even had a yak with some of them and they aren't as hard arse as TV makes them out to be. I see the potential for a win win situation here, anything is better than the current sham that runs the joint.

evltoy

Likes Dirt
Realmaf - You Rock!

Thanks for making the effort to get this issue moving in the right direction.

This is the best news I have heard all year

Cheers
Wayne

Realmaf

Likes Bikes
Email correspondence between me and Monique from CCS. 28-10-09

Dear Monique,

Thank you for your very fast response to my (our) request. I am merely an
interested representative in this matter and currently the MTB rep. for
Monash Bush-walking & Outdoor club.
I'll gather some contact info and forward it to you asap.

As far as I'm aware, you're correct in understanding that Trailmix plays
a formal role in maintenance of the trails with a partnership with Parks
Victoria. Trailmix is a privately run cafe/bike-shop located within the
Lysterfield Lake area. I'm of the impression that if you guys (CCS) were
to help out than you'd need direction from a knowledgeable unified body.

Mountain bike trails require more than just foliage & vegetation removal.
Issues such as drainage, runoff, erosion and compaction need to be
addressed. As you can imagine the general public have mixed ideas about
how these issues should be tackled and this is where one of our biggest
problems originates along with not many hands on deck!

Does CCS have any expertise to call upon with regards to this type of
track maintenance?

Do you mind if I post this email and any further correspondence on the
rotorburn.com forum?

I'm hesitant to recommend both Parks Vic & Trailmix as formal contacts as
their handling of maintenance thus-far is questionable to say the least
however the contact at Trailmix is Rob. Rob will be able to put you
in-contact with the relevant Parks officers.

PO Box 235
Narre Warren North 3804
Ph: +61 3 8790 4402
E: rob@trailmix.com.au

One private organization which is becoming revered as leaders in the
field of trail building is:
http://www.world-trail.com/services.html

Head-bodies with respect to Mountain biking International, Australia &
Victoria:
http://www.imba.com/
http://www.mtba.asn.au/
http://www.mountainbikevictoria.com/

Thanks so far for taking up the call.
"Realmaf"

Last edited:

Realmaf

Likes Bikes
ando_assi,

please remove quoted email from the forum as I've received an email from CCS along the lines of:
"Both of these posts need to be removed immediately as they are a breach of the Department of Justice Privacy Policy. If these are not removed immediately we shall need to report the incident to our Privacy Unit".

This could be a good thing so we don't want to rock the boat too early, cheers.

VW NUT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nothing wrong with some blokes working on Lysterfeild to pass this time in chains.

K-1w1

Cannon Fodder
good to see the Trailmix team out on Sat/Sun doing trail maintenace after the rains on Friday night..keep the good work up guys..you have my support..

Lard

Likes Dirt
I did the 20k circuit today and it was a really good, there's still a few rutts and muddy sections, but overall it's great. Some areas there's been fresh sand put down which fixes the mud, but slows me down :)

I think the main thing that needs to be done is go around with some hedge trimmers, especially around where the track from the rock garden goes over the spur towards the comm games hill.