VIC Lysterfield Park

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Your informed views, or just supposition?

Main threat to frogs is actually the surfactant used with glyphosate, if used (http://www.environment.gov.au/resource/australian-frogs-overview).

However I've not been able to find data to support either of our cases.

Common assumption is glyphosate is rapidly degraded in nature.

New research by my group (and NSW DPI) will show that is not quite the case but so far restricted to grains. No idea on frogs.

"Environmental burning" is topical but has history. Evidence at Lysty shows a reduction in exotic weeds (ryegrass and thistle) as a result.

Tracks (single trail) are still open in Northern part. No evidence of (intended or otherwise) broadscale closure.
Did you actually read the response from Parks that I posted? They have stated no trails in the northern expansion. Trailheads may not have signs, but essentially thy are closed.

All single tracks in the northern expansion are off limits, there are signs stating where you are allowed to ride at the entrance from Birdsland into the Northern expansion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redbruce

Eats Squid
Did you actually read the response from Parks that I posted? They have stated no trails in the northern expansion. Trailheads may not have signs, but essentially thy are closed.

All single tracks in the northern expansion are off limits, there are signs stating where you are allowed to ride at the entrance from Birdsland into the Northern expansion.

Sorry I may have miss understood. You mean trails on Northern side of Wellington Rde, or northernpart of Lysty?

Last edited:
At risk of covering old territory, I strongly believe there are both some long running and seemingly increasing issues at play here.

Having been away from the sport for some time due to serious injury, upon returning now and catching up with all the info on where trails are etc I have to admit it concerns me how the political climate around riding a bicycle off a made road continues to be such a huge issue.

OK, OK I get it! I understand that in an environment of shared use, allocated land, liability etc, etc things need to be ordered and processed.
After course designing and directing state level cycling and rallying events (seems like a lifetime ago now) I am genuinely starting to see a blinkered, spiral type, echo chamber effect these days that is detrimental to all involved.
The absence of involvement for an extended period has really highlighted this to me and I have no doubt that those working away at these issues year after year in a highly bureaucratic and political environment don't have the option of this perspective.

I have a question- While fantastic in providing mountain bike riders a designated, approved, sign posted location for use, is the modern mountain bike park partly to blame for the broader community's apparent increasing distain for mountain biking anywhere other than these locations?
Studies show a similar negative effect with "bike lanes" and road riders where other road users exhibit both frustration and a lack of understanding.

I have been riding off road on both mountain bikes and motorbikes for almost 30 years and the climate of doing so even in the most reserved and respectful manner has never been so poorly met or understood by the greater community.
While no one with even reasonable intelligence should suggest a recognised significant cultural area or even arguably fragile location should be "open slather" to all users the simple act of cycling off a man made road really shouldn't be this complicated. (Kids making structure/ berms etc a completely aside issue here).
Don't agree? Thats fine, but while I genuinely respect your opinion know that its more often than not one of limited experience globally where trails of almost any nature are shared respectfully often without designation, without overtly increasing politics and so on.

The way i see it, perhaps less so than previously, not all who ride a mountain bike are interested in driving to a designated "park" to ride the same old trails repetitively then drive home again. For some, riding a mountain bike is about exploring, taking the interesting route, getting away from the organised masses and just enjoying being in an environment that is rewarding and simultaneously challenging.
Because "bike parks" now exist is this type of user all of a sudden wrong?
For the majority of the world the answer is an almost definite no but seemingly here in Australia its moving towards a "yes" answer.
Even longtime designated walking trails in NZ are becoming shared use ones.

Where to from here folks?

redbruce

Eats Squid
At risk of covering old territory, I strongly believe there are both some long running and seemingly increasing issues at play here.

Having been away from the sport for some time due to serious injury, upon returning now and catching up with all the info on where trails are etc I have to admit it concerns me how the political climate around riding a bicycle off a made road continues to be such a huge issue.

OK, OK I get it! I understand that in an environment of shared use, allocated land, liability etc, etc things need to be ordered and processed.
After course designing and directing state level cycling and rallying events (seems like a lifetime ago now) I am genuinely starting to see a blinkered, spiral type, echo chamber effect these days that is detrimental to all involved.
The absence of involvement for an extended period has really highlighted this to me and I have no doubt that those working away at these issues year after year in a highly bureaucratic and political environment don't have the option of this perspective.

I have a question- While fantastic in providing mountain bike riders a designated, approved, sign posted location for use, is the modern mountain bike park partly to blame for the broader community's apparent increasing distain for mountain biking anywhere other than these locations?
Studies show a similar negative effect with "bike lanes" and road riders where other road users exhibit both frustration and a lack of understanding.

I have been riding off road on both mountain bikes and motorbikes for almost 30 years and the climate of doing so even in the most reserved and respectful manner has never been so poorly met or understood by the greater community.
While no one with even reasonable intelligence should suggest a recognised significant cultural area or even arguably fragile location should be "open slather" to all users the simple act of cycling off a man made road really shouldn't be this complicated. (Kids making structure/ berms etc a completely aside issue here).
Don't agree? Thats fine, but while I genuinely respect your opinion know that its more often than not one of limited experience globally where trails of almost any nature are shared respectfully often without designation, without overtly increasing politics and so on.

The way i see it, perhaps less so than previously, not all who ride a mountain bike are interested in driving to a designated "park" to ride the same old trails repetitively then drive home again. For some, riding a mountain bike is about exploring, taking the interesting route, getting away from the organised masses and just enjoying being in an environment that is rewarding and simultaneously challenging.
Because "bike parks" now exist is this type of user all of a sudden wrong?
For the majority of the world the answer is an almost definite no but seemingly here in Australia its moving towards a "yes" answer.
Even longtime designated walking trails in NZ are becoming shared use ones.

Where to from here folks?
Welcome to the jungle.

You've had a busy day on the keyboard (well all but one of your 8 posts to date).

Rome wasn't built in a day. Gathering knowledge, understand stakeholders, their drivers and develop insight in a new area similarly. To effect change, (quite) a bit longer.

Its great you have energy and passion. Suggest you join existing, experienced advocacy/trail champion/maintenance crew with history and relationship with land owners, and get your hands dirty.

LDTR, YVMTB are good starters in outer east Melb.

Script on the lenses might need a review also. They will need to be multifocal.

Last edited:
Welcome to the jungle.

You've had a busy day on the keyboard (well all but one of your 8 posts to date).

Rome wasn't built in a day. Gathering knowledge, understand stakeholders, their drivers and develop insight in a new area similarly. To effect change, (quite) a bit longer.

Its great you have energy and passion. Suggest you join existing, experienced advocacy/trail champion/maintenance crew with history and relationship with land owners, and get your hands dirty.

LDTR, YVMTB are good starters in outer east Melb.

Script on the lenses might need a review also. They will need to be multifocal.
Thanks for the welcome, although seemingly thicker in ways, its a jungle I am familiar with.

As for Rome being built- I guess my point/ question was, is its success in being built to the detriment of Romans being able to freely and rightfully access areas outside of Rome?

redbruce

Eats Squid
Thanks for the welcome, although seemingly thicker in ways, its a jungle I am familiar with.

As for Rome being built- I guess my point/ question was, is its success in being built to the detriment of Romans being able to freely and rightfully access areas outside of Rome?
In reality, as history shows the world had/has more than Romans in it.

History is full of lessons, seems though all too often not learnt.

Last edited:

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Took my SS out today for a spin and managed to pop the top off my tool kit.

Lost a lezyne stainless multi tool and some guide brake pads I think around snipe

Hopefully someone may pick it up

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
Thinking about tagging along to the Tuesday night ride.

Assuming the weather isn't as bad as forecast and the ride goes ahead, it will be a 6pm to 8pm ride.

Looking outside now, it will be rather light when it ends. Is it worth taking a light?

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Been riding Lysty from since I was a youngin on a kmart bike.

Ran into a bloody GOAT charging towards me near Comms games. Spoke to a workmate and apparently this goat makes a regular appearance??