VIC Lysterfield Park

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
We can ride there easily from home, but have been avoiding it like the plague.

Might do it as a WFH LTR during the working week.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
It was ace at 5pm. Still heaps of cars but must have been picnickers because I only saw a handful of people on the trails. Also weather was mint in the cooling afternoon. Zero regrets about not getting up for the earlybird ride

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Hi All,

There has been a plan put forward to assist with a revitalization of the Lysterfield Park trails.
I have the pleasure of being part of the announcement of this project tomorrow night at 8:00pm.

Here's a small teaser.
http://instagr.am/p/CJPuhWigw02/

And a link to the announcement due to go live at 8pm Sunday.
What's all this then?!

Pm sent so I don't accidentally ask any pointed questions out in public. Nice one

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Well done chris and friedo, that definitely brings it to life!

Please spread this far and wide people, I feel pretty strongly that this is a business model that will work wonders for the park and the riding community in general. who knows what we can achieve in the future if this ends up being a big success story?

crowdsourcing page:

bookface:

Instagram:

we've got 3 weeks to get close to the target, it'll take a pretty big effort but if everyone that stands to benefit shares it around i reckon we'll get there :D

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Cheers shared and cash coming once payday heals my post christmas accoutn a bit haha. I saw this do the rounds but had no idea it was a crowdsourcing ask, might be worthwhile to make this a bit more clear on some of the fb pages (I know it's not you that is sharing directly on fb)

On a side note, is this at that new complex they are building?

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Have to ask - What's the plan for the trails themselves? Will the income from the store be more about maintaining what is currently there, or has Parks expressed any kind of openess or long-term interest in trail development that includes technical features? Absolutely not criticising what you guys are working towards here - I think it's a bold idea with a lot of potential - I'm just trying to understand a little more about what the end goals are.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Cheers shared and cash coming once payday heals my post christmas accoutn a bit haha. I saw this do the rounds but had no idea it was a crowdsourcing ask, might be worthwhile to make this a bit more clear on some of the fb pages (I know it's not you that is sharing directly on fb)

On a side note, is this at that new complex they are building?
Thanks mate, I'll pass it along - none of us are social media gurus so if it comes across vague, that's because we're vague

And yep, new complex in the Montague's property, next to the main gate at horsewood Rd. Spectacular spot for it

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Have to ask - What's the plan for the trails themselves? Will the income from the store be more about maintaining what is currently there, or has Parks expressed any kind of openess or long-term interest in trail development that includes technical features? Absolutely not criticising what you guys are working towards here - I think it's a bold idea with a lot of potential - I'm just trying to understand a little more about what the end goals are.
Funds will go towards whatever we're able to assist with.

Short term, probably more about maintaining current trails.

Long term, the club has been fighting tooth and nail to try to get parks on board with new trails and updated features. I could go into more detail in private, but in a nutshell we're cautiously optimistic that previous club efforts have set us up to push for new trails with a bit more reliable financial backing.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Funds will go towards whatever we're able to assist with.

Short term, probably more about maintaining current trails.

Long term, the club has been fighting tooth and nail to try to get parks on board with new trails and updated features. I could go into more detail in private, but in a nutshell we're cautiously optimistic that previous club efforts have set us up to push for new trails with a bit more reliable financial backing.

Thank you sir, that pretty much covers it. It all sounds good, I just wondered where Parks fitted into things. Think I can get the jist. ;) When I can free up some dollars I'll sling some across!

hungrytiger

Likes Dirt
Interesting idea. How long do you reckon it will take for the business to produce $100k for the trails? I get that it's a long game plan, but that's alot of money.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Interesting idea. How long do you reckon it will take for the business to produce $100k for the trails? I get that it's a long game plan, but that's alot of money.
That's an excellent question... that I don't have an answer for

I've heard some figures from the brains behind this but I'm not sure what was projections, educated guesses, and outright optimism.

But if the average profitable bike shop is making enough to pay the owners mortgage, buy them a car every few years, and send their kids to a nice school - that's a few dollars a year I'd imagine? Even if we're not as profitable as that, and the first year is a tough slog to find our mojo, we're still probably looking to be able to inject the startup capital back into the park within a few years. And then it's an ongoing income stream for the park, the club, and the users. The committee has pipe dreams of being able to start traineeship programs and possibly fund works at other parks if lysty is getting all that it can.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
@Dozer would it be against the rules to start an official thread for this? I know bike shops have to pay for advertising etc. But we're not a bike shop yet

teK--

Eats Squid
Same question. It's gonna be a steep uphill battle to raise 100K for a shop that then takes years to raise money for trails. Trails which are totally contingent on PV pulling their finger out and supporting MTB.

Trailmix was OK as a bike shop but I suspect they made more money as a cafe?

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
But if the average profitable bike shop is making enough to ...
But they are selling bikes, which this project isn't planning on doing. The value prop needs fleshing out.

This is a great initiative and its success is something that would be amazing for the local and the general mtb community.

I like the idea of demo bikes, especially if you can get demo bikes that people generally can't get out of a shop for a propper ride e.g. intense, SC, Yeti, trannies etc. Arrange for a % of sale when you refer buyers to a LBS for that 10k bike (or act as a broker) etc. That could be a good way to keep the LBSs engaged. Share the love around a bit. Even act as brokers on second hand sales - remove some of the uncertainty for buyers